Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom Quality Question

ufboy73

hmmm' date=' well that is interesting. I thought the last several digits of the serial number pertained to the production number of the run the guitar came from (i.e. could be any number 0-9). of course, I dont really know anything about serial numbers but would have thought under this scenario that the number could end in anything.

The last number on mine is 5 - does this mean anything?[/quote']

I meant the 1 at the end of the guitar's model number, not the serial number.

You're right about the serial number, last three or four (if it's a Custom Shop) digits relate to the production number.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Geez Tim' date=' is there anything you don't know?!?[/quote']

You should know this by now...no there isn't. =D>

Guitarooster...L&M does sell B-stock, you're right. I've deal with somebody within Yorkville Music and what Yorkville/L&M considers as B-stock is different than what Gibson considers as B-stock. My R9 is B-stock according to Yorkville's database. Why? Because they displayed it at a guitar show where it may have been played and the case has two small marks on it. The way Yorkville's computer system is set up, the guitar is either A-stock (if you will) or B-stock. Since my guitar wasn't "new" anymore, they had to label it as B-stock. Other than that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar.

Things get by Gibson's QC, there's no surprise there...but nothing leaves the Gibson factory as B-stock anymore. The ones that are B-stock are fed to the ban saw. One could argue that Gibson still sells B-stock but just doesn't label them as such anymore. A LP Custom reissue I tried out a while back had an issue with the neck that the factory should have picked out but didn't. Maybe it was inspected on a Friday at 4:58 p.m., maybe they were behind and had to rush an order, who knows...

If that microscopic mark bothers you I wouldn't want to be around when you get your first ding....

"don't make me angry...you wouldn't like me when i'm angry":)

oddly enough, i really dont have much problem if im the one that has inflicted the damage....it was more the idea of having paid full premium for something already substandard - though, as others have pointed out, and as i came to the conclusion myself this was not the case here.

i must admit though guys, i ended up selling that one (for other,unrelated, reasons) =D>

Standards have fake pearl inlays and customs have real mother of pearl inlays. Thats one of the reason why they are higher. Plus all the binding and manhours it takes to wrap a guitar in 5 ply binding.

You need a bigger picture in your sig.

id say if you cant feel it, forget it. if you try and do something to it, it might make it worse. if its a bump/bubble or something like that, id be afraid it might snowball, id contact Gibson and see what they say.

Archived