Gibson Brands Forums

8 Months Ago..

Dallastx

I bought my S G Standard. I didn't buy it for the looks. I played it and heard every single note from every chord I played. The tone was awesome. Wasn't even set up the way I liked it yet, but I couldn't put it down. My other guitars don't hold a candle to it, and even with all the mods I did on my other guitars, They don't stand up to it. I have owned hundreds of guitars and this has gotta be one of the best I have ever played. There. A positive SG. Post.

Dallas.

Hi all,

My name is Steve I've been a member here a while but, can't remember if I posted before (Probably not, as I usually read more than write). I bought my SG last February and haven't looked back to be honest. I bought a special in glossy cherry. THE best guitar I own to be honest - my Rolls Royce, and she gets treated as such too. I'm thinking of getting one of those new Melody Maker SG's, anyone got one, are they any good? Anyway here are a few pics of my SG, as I know you guys like to see pics. :)

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

gibson1.jpg

All the best

Steve

I bought my S G Standard. I didn't buy it for the looks. I played it and heard every single note from every chord I played. The tone was awesome. Wasn't even set up the way I liked it yet, but I couldn't put it down. My other guitars don't hold a candle to it, and even with all the mods I did on my other guitars, They don't stand up to it. I have owned hundreds of guitars and this has gotta be one of the best I have ever played. There. A positive SG. Post.

Dallas.

Great story, but where are the photos of your beauty?

Mine is the best guitar I've personally ever played, and I was a LP player, until I got my hands on this girl.My 80's LP custom didn't even come close, and I thought I had the holy grail with it. Holds tune amazingly well and the tone is killer....crunchy and bright, but very smooth and sexy in the mid and low range. I'm looking to add a 61 reissue to my stable, but, to be honest, it'll have to be a super fine guitar to even compare to her...10 out of 10.

Standard24.jpg

Standard24-1.jpg

Well, I went to my local guitar shop today, I say local as my nearest Gibson dealer is 55 miles away in Doncaster (UK). Anyway succumbed and bought the SG Melody Maker in satin blue, really good looking guitar, bit weighty, but nice. At a glance I thought the volume control would get in the way, but after a quick strum in the shop it didn't seem to. Anyway looking forward to trying her out tonight, I'll post some pics when the battery charges on my camera.

Steve

Mine is the best guitar I've personally ever played, and I was a LP player, until I got my hands on this girl.My 80's LP custom didn't even come close, and I thought I had the holy grail with it. Holds tune amazingly well and the tone is killer....crunchy and bright, but very smooth and sexy in the mid and low range. I'm looking to add a 61 reissue to my stable, but, to be honest, it'll have to be a super fine guitar to even compare to her...10 out of 10.

Standard24.jpg

Standard24-1.jpg

Now she is beautiful, you must be very proud!!

;)

Love the 'stang in the picture; I have a 08 and finally put 28k on her... I never go anywhere except VA, grocery shopping and gigs... I love that Pony Pkg!

Bought mine June of 09 with 5 miles on it. Only has 19k. We take all our trips on the Harley..

D

Thought I'd follow on from my previous post about the SG Melody Maker I bought last week. The body is quite a lot heavier than I had realized, and some of the frets are a touch on the sharp side, but on the whole it's a great player and I'm glad to say it's a keeper. I got the blue not everyone's taste, but anyway here are a few pics. The gigbag is from my other SG, for which I have a hardcase for now(Sorry the quality isn't too good, I have the worst digital camera in England [laugh] ).

_gibsonmmsg.jpg

I love that blue Melody Maker color.

I think my next guitar will be one of those, because I really dig the minimal aspects of it.

My buddy modified a SG special to look like a Melody Maker, and he always had such a great tone.

Awesome guitar!

The shop I bought it from had all 3 colours, next to this I liked the white, but the finish on the body was very grainy so went with the blue. I already have a black Fender Telecaster, so I'm trying to even out the guitar colours a bit. There's a lot of bite on this SG considering there is only a single control knob, also considering where the knob is you would think it would cause some kind of obstruction when playing, but I haven't hit it yet. Maybe if your a budding Pete Townshend, and you like windmilling, then it maybe an issue. You'll really enjoy this MM SG when you get one - like you mentioned very minimal, but with a great tone.

Archived