Gibson Brands Forums

MIK Sheraton, possible purchase

Clanky44

Hi folks,

I'm currently on the prowl for a MIK Sheraton, ideally in Tobacco Burst but this standard burst just became available quite close to home. It's in my price range, but I'm wondering if it's priced properly, it has some upgrades. Based on the photos, what year Sheraton am I looking at and any idea on what serial number range I should expect.

thanks,

Frank

link...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-FS-EPIPHONE-SHERATON-2-GIBSON-CLASSIC-57-PUPS-W0QQAdIdZ346474724

Looks like a nice Sheraton, but a bit "pricey," IMHO...even with the upgraded pickups!

Maybe you can get him to come down, on the price? If not, I'd move on...there are always

lots of other Sheraton's, to choose from. Just my 2-cent's worth.

CB

Having a look at Sweetwater, I can still pick up a new MIK Natural finish Sheraton for $600,... I'll give him a call and see if he's willing to come down, otherwise it looks like I'll hold on until I find that Tobacco Burst.

Yea he's essentially priced it at the cost new for all the parts, guit and pups.

You can get a MIK baccy burst somewhere in the ballpark of $300-500, then upgrade the pups. even paying someone to do it, you'll spend less than this one

+1. You can get a very nice used Sheraton for half that, and for another $100 get a pair of used American made PU's, like Seymour Duncans, which are better than Gibsons, especially '57 Classics, which often sound muddy in the neck slot.

A few months ago I bought a mint used Dot for $250 and put in a pair of Duncan Seth Lovers (which are incredible PAF's). So for around $400, I have a guitar that I guarantee sounds better than a Sheraton with '57 Classics. Why pay twice as much?

As has been pointed out, he's charging full new price on everything, when it should be more like half price. There are deals out there, this Sheraton isn't one of them.

"Muddy" (Gibson) Classic '57's??? Hmmm, I've never had that problem. Neck or Bridge! :-k[confused]

CB

Oh yeah. On the Duncan forum, where we talk candidly about all makes and models of PU's, BB's are well-thought of, but '57 Classics don't have nearly as many fans (they do have some though). Common complaint being a dark, muffled, sometimes muddy neck. I put A5 magnets in my neck '57 and 490R's, which opened up the sound and gave a lot more clarity and definition. Big improvement. A2 magnets, whch are in '57's, 490, and BB's, are heavy on mids with little treble; you have to wind a PU just right to get a clear sound in the neck. I have an older unpotted BB1 that is excellent, on a par with the best Duncans. But neck '57's and 490's are wound a little too hot for an A2 magnet, at least in some guitars. Duncan winds their A2 PAF's differently to preserve more clarity in the neck slot (Seth, PG, A2P, & Antiquity).

In bridge '57's, and 490T's, the high-end can be pretty rounded and it can be hard to get any bite and cut. Treble's there, but in the background. I've found an UOA5 (unoriented A5) magnet takes care of that; keeps the juicy vinatge dynamics of an A2, but adds a dash of treble.

In some guitars '57's sound great, but certainly not in all. I love PAF's, and have a variety of makes and models. I've got all 5 Duncan PAF's (the above-mentioned plus '59's), along with Gibson's and Fralin's versions (who uses A4's). I like variety. If I could only have a set or two of PAF's though, they definitely would be Duncans.

That's probably why? Ignorance, is bliss?! [tongue] LOL [biggrin] But, really...the "Classic 57's" have always

been my favorites, in my Les Paul's. Hotter pickups, don't work, for "me!" I've played a bunch

of other maker's pickups, some I liked, other's not so much. But I always seem to come back to,

the Classic '57's. I set my amp, for them, and just use the tone/volume controls, on the guitar,

from then on. Might add a little "dirt" with a pedal, but otherwise, it's real simple...guitar & Amp!

CB

Archived