Gibson Brands Forums

Kenny Sultan's Guitar Collection etc.

BluesKing777

Obviously the guitar comes into play, but as Rambler has pointed out in the case of KS, the player has a lot to do with things as well.

I will say that for me, while I definitely listen to what a guitar sounds like when I'm playing, the "feel" or feedback that I'm getting from the guitar is probably just as prominent in my thought process when I'm creating music. I have to admit that I haven't given too much thought to the phenomena of a wash of treble that has been pointed out when it comes to Martin 000s. I've got a 000-18GE that has scalloped bracing so you can probably pick up on that effect in the following recordings.

(Just what I need, one more guitar related thing to obsess over.)

View From Tabor

Percolation

That is a very nice guitar sound and playing, Guth, thank you - so that is the 1937 Martin 000-18 recreated? More GAS. Save on old guitar repairs! (Sometimes, my Martin 000c-15e sounds like that, so I don't need to try those guitars, do I, do I....

And recorded on a Sony, I guess?

BluesKing777.

I don't hear that "wash" in Martins. Maybe I just don't know what it is.

Here's my comparison of a Gibson and a Martin of similar size and vintage:

Fantastic comparison, JT!

So now we have a Gibson that sounds like a Martin and a Martin that sounds like a Stella, and we are not washing them. Kidding!

I like the Gibson for both tunes, but liked the Martin for the Lemon riffs!

Do you have a comparison between a 30's 000-18 like KS (very woody) and an L-00 in you kit bag?

BluesKing777.

Obviously the guitar comes into play, but as Rambler has pointed out in the case of KS, the player has a lot to do with things as well.

I will say that for me, while I definitely listen to what a guitar sounds like when I'm playing, the "feel" or feedback that I'm getting from the guitar is probably just as prominent in my thought process when I'm creating music. I have to admit that I haven't given too much thought to the phenomena of a wash of treble that has been pointed out when it comes to Martin 000s. I've got a 000-18GE that has scalloped bracing so you can probably pick up on that effect in the following recordings.

(Just what I need, one more guitar related thing to obsess over.)

View From Tabor

Percolation

Really great playing, Guth. Thanks so much for sharing these. You and the guitar sound terrific.

Fantastic comparison, JT!

So now we have a Gibson that sounds like a Martin and a Martin that sounds like a Stella, and we are not washing them. Kidding!

I like the Gibson for both tunes, but liked the Martin for the Lemon riffs!

Do you have a comparison between a 30's 000-18 like KS (very woody) and an L-00 in you kit bag?

Thanks for the kind words. Alas, no 1930s 000-18 here right now. I'll most certainly have one drop in at some point in the next few months.

The best I can offer now is this, featuring a 1929 000-28:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Ee6vN9nIE

Thanks for the kind words. Alas, no 1930s 000-18 here right now. I'll most certainly have one drop in at some point in the next few months.

Two really sweet guitars, JT! The 000-28 has pretty close to what I would call the archetypal 000/OM aged rosewood voice. Just wonderful stuff!

Thanks very much, JT - wrap 'em and stamp 'em and send by mail!

Aurally confused now.

(I like the Martin 000-18 Kenny Sultan I think because it sounds like a Gibson!)

BluesKing777.

That is a very nice guitar sound and playing, Guth, thank you - so that is the 1937 Martin 000-18 recreated? More GAS. Save on old guitar repairs! (Sometimes, my Martin 000c-15e sounds like that, so I don't need to try those guitars, do I, do I....

And recorded on a Sony, I guess?

BluesKing777.

Hi BK,

Yep, recorded on the Sony alright. I tend to think of the GE Martins much like do the TV Gibsons. Not an exact reproduction, but put together with a nod towards the vintage instruments.

I really dig the 15 series Martins — awesome tone. I just happened upon the 000-18GE and instantly bonded with it, wasn't even familiar with the model or aware that it existed before then. The 15 series on the other hand had long ago caught my attention and I've played quite a few, all of which sounded impressive to me. I just don't care so much for the 1 11/16" nut width on the ones I've been able to try thus far.

Hi BK,

Yep, recorded on the Sony alright. I tend to think of the GE Martins much like do the TV Gibsons. Not an exact reproduction, but put together with a nod towards the vintage instruments.

I really dig the 15 series Martins — awesome tone. I just happened upon the 000-18GE and instantly bonded with it, wasn't even familiar with the model or aware that it existed before then. The 15 series on the other hand had long ago caught my attention and I've played quite a few, all of which sounded impressive to me. I just don't care so much for the 1 11/16" nut width on the ones I've been able to try thus far.

Yes the 1 11/16" nut on the 15 series is the fun killer with fingerpicking. Another thing is the hog top whenever the weather gets humid, summer or winter, can end up sounding like it's got a bit of a blocked nose!

Mine is in G tuning for a while to see what it can do.

BluesKing777.

Thanks very much, JT - wrap 'em and stamp 'em and send by mail!

Alas, I can only send the Larson. The Martin belongs to a friend (as does the 00-18 in the other clip). I don't own any martins. I gues that I'm a Gibson/Larson/National sort of guy.

If you ever come across a D15S -12 fret slot you should give it a try. A real air pusher with its deep bout and ditson style body and has 1 3/4" nut. It's very light for it's size. The neck profile is not round beefy though, more rather like a D shape (at least mine was). I traded my 2001 model (genuine all hog including neck, not 'select hardwood' or spanish cedar or whatever it was towards the end run) and I am currently trying to buy it back. Wouldn't exactly call it dry gibson vintage tone but a true friendly one, reminiscent of the golden era sound recordings.

Well if you do stumble across it give it a pick anyways..

Archived