Gibson Brands Forums

Any Rev Gary Davis fans...?

Glenn P

Ernie's stuff sounds perfect. One of the things that I like about RGDs music is that there is more than enough going on for those of us who only pick and don't sing.

We non singers need all the help we can get.

I met Ernie at Jorma's Furpeace Ranch (when I was attending a workshop with Tommy Emmanuel, who was a delightful soul who was so far beyond my mere mortal abilities that I wasted a slot in his workshop). One afternoon while sitting on the porch with Ernie (who, after hearing Tommy, remarked, "I'm gonna give up guitar playing and get a paper route"), Ernie showed me the proper way to play that diminished lick that opens RDG's "Make Believe Stunt." It turned out that I'd been playing it wrong for years. I now play it right, but, alas, still very badly.

We non singers need all the help we can get.

I met Ernie at Jorma's Furpeace Ranch (when I was attending a workshop with Tommy Emmanuel, who was a delightful soul who was so far beyond my mere mortal abilities that I wasted a slot in his workshop). One afternoon while sitting on the porch with Ernie (who, after hearing Tommy, remarked, "I'm gonna give up guitar playing and get a paper route"), Ernie showed me the proper way to play that diminished lick that opens RDG's "Make Believe Stunt." It turned out that I'd been playing it wrong for years. I now play it right, but, alas, still very badly.

Good to hear Ernie is stunned by the talents of Tommy E!

Perhaps it is Ernie's LG1 in the 'smashed guitar' thread....I t-t-t-totally understand. An even scarier moment is when people see Tommy and his brother Phil play together!

BluesKing777.

Zombywoof,

That cracking noise you are hearing is the suffering that my old knees are sustaining while I genuflect in your direction. RGD was the greatest ever (well, along with Blind Blake) IMHO. I've hung with many of his disciples-Stefan, Ernie, Roy, Woody, Jorma -but I'll be forever envious of you for getting to spend time with THE man.

Geezerdom does have some benefits don't it.

The only RGD disciple I know a bit is Woody. I met him back in the 1970s when my then girlfriend went to take lessons with him (that lady could already play me under the table). I probably should have joined her but I was so freakin' busy with the rock band and trying to keep it going as disco caught on.

I once snagged an impromptu lesson with Skip James down in Philly. He would play something and then shout "Now" wanting me to take my turn at it. The guy intimidated the heck of me. I got the distinct feeling he was just humoring me and was sick and tired of middle class white kids showing up in search of the real deal blues.

Again, one of the biggest regrets of my life was not following through with the lessons from Rev. Davis. Looking back at it, it might have been a life changer.

Good to hear Ernie is stunned by the talents of Tommy E!

Perhaps it is Ernie's LG1 in the 'smashed guitar' thread....I t-t-t-totally understand. An even scarier moment is when people see Tommy and his brother Phil play together!

BluesKing777.

Here's an example of T & E Emmanuel together- there are many others - there is another vid with them both playing Teles someone that is, well, ...

BluesKing777.

Ernie does as close to GD as he can getA good approach would be to try Ernie's dvd on Lightnin' Hopkins to get the feel of his teaching style, then progress to Ernie's 'Blues Guitar of Gary Davis' and on to (Gulp) GD's Gospel Guitar 4 dvd set (again gulp - heavy duty!

Can't argue with any of that or praise EH highly enough. One correction, tho. The Gospel Guitar is celestial heavy duty. Some wonderful pieces there. Its the mother lode.

Can't argue with any of that or praise EH highly enough. One correction, tho. The Gospel Guitar is celestial heavy duty. Some wonderful pieces there. Its the mother lode.

People get Grammys and awards for way less work (including learning the songs to begin with) than Ernie put into that little collection of lessons.

BluesKing777.

P.S. I may put it on the player again in a minute.

People get Grammys and awards for way less work (including learning the songs to begin with) than Ernie put into that little collection of lessons. P.S. I may put it on the player again in a minute.

Yeah, Ernie is a real talent. IMHO, no one does RGD better than Ernie.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'll add my "me too" to the opinion that Ernie Hawkins has the Gary Davis

style nailed. No "interpretations", Ernie uses Gary's left hand chord shapes

and right hand picking technique - and it sounds great!

Have any of you fellow RGD fans been able to compare the lesson videos from Ernie Hawkins and Roy Book Binder? If so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the two stack up
Nothing against Roy, but Ernie, Ernie all the way (Roy himself would say as much, I'm sure). The Gospel set, especially. That was near to Ernie's heart.

Hi Rambler (I assume you are my Granite State neighbor..?)

I enjoy the way Roy picks a guitar a great deal. What we hear and learn

from him, I think, is his interpretation of the Gary Davis style. It's

very good but, yes and again, Ernie is channeling the Reverend. Not an

easy thing to do! Those tightly voiced chords, idiosyncratic formations

and double string thumb wraps... and that's only the left hand! 8-)

Hi Rambler (I assume you are my Granite State neighbor..?)I enjoy the way Roy picks a guitar a great deal. What we hear and learnfrom him, I think, is his interpretation of the Gary Davis style.

Frosty, that's a real good point. And I will 'fess up. The first Davis tune I learned (Hesitation)was off Roy. He gave me the confidence to approach the rag stuff and so went on from there. Btw, neighbors, yeh. Tuftonboro.

Archived