Gibson Brands Forums

B25 - Back and sides laminated? Solid?

Geoffrey Lawton

I've always understood the back and sides are solid Mahogany/spruce top. I am surprised at this question, because I have been wanting to purchase a B-25 as soon as one becomes available to me. (I won't buy a guitar online). I'm interested to hear from someone who can verify this question. Sorry, no laminates in my coral.

Lots of Gibsons back into the early '60s and the '50s employed laminate backs, sides or both. This was on "high end" models like the Hummingbird and SJ to less-expensive models in the L and B series.

Interestingly, Gibson got details wrong when some of these were re-issued, byu sticking solid wood on 'em. (Oh well, "upgrade"!!)

Fred

I've always understood the back and sides are solid Mahogany/spruce top. I am surprised at this question, because I have been wanting to purchase a B-25 as soon as one becomes available to me. (I won't buy a guitar online). I'm interested to hear from someone who can verify this question. Sorry, no laminates in my coral.

I have owned both a '65 B25n, and the Epiphone Cortez clone. The sides are laminated, while the back is solid.

Thanks for the responses, folks.

FWIW - I don't care if the b/s are

laminate as this '66 B25 is simply

a great-sounding and playing

guitar. Just want to get educated

about it.

BTW - my B25 has an end pin jack

that is no longer in use so I think I'll

just unscrew it during the next string

change and check to see if that

'Oreo cookie' effect is present.

Geoff