Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra 3 pickup issue

Chuva

Just got my Les Paul Ultra 3 on Saturday, and love it... for the most part.

Aside from the E/A strings buzzing (nothing that can't be overcome easily), I'm having an issue with signal bleed on the magnetic pickups.

Both bridge and neck volumes full. I'm playing in the bridge position, roll the volume off, I'm getting bleed from the neck, and vice versa. It's a small amount, maybe 5%, but it's there. I don't play live anymore, so it's not a huge deal breaking issue, but I'm just surprised that it's there, considering my $300 Ibanez ART is clean.

I'm just assuming it's a wiring issue, but I'm not an electronic tech guy. I couldn't rewire a guitar for my life... sad, I know.

That sounds very strange, on a 3-way switch it's either On or Off, I've never heard of this problem before. Honestly without being there to experience the anomaly, there's little that cam be done, it would just be guesswork. Best to take it back to the dealer and see if they can find any faults, you can also check out others to see if the problem is unique to yours.

As Rastus says, you should have the dealer take a look at it. With all the issues I had with my U3, this wasn't one of them. Better to have them look at it as soon as possible, than to live with guesswork about it.

Good luck!

I took it back for a full refund. Sad, cause it was a beautiful guitar, but when an $800 guitar has more issues (all around) than a $300 one, it's a sad thing. My Ibanez ART100 came off the rack completely playable. This was a train wreck. Gave me buyers heartache. Don't even want another new guitar for a while. :(

I took it back for a full refund. Sad, cause it was a beautiful guitar, but when an $800 guitar has more issues (all around) than a $300 one, it's a sad thing. My Ibanez ART100 came off the rack completely playable. This was a train wreck. Gave me buyers heartache. Don't even want another new guitar for a while. :(

That is a bummer! :( My very first Epi was a 335 dot studio that I was real excited about. But I just couldn't get good sound out of it even after a set up it still sounded very flat. I knew that I bought the very bottom of the barrel but that guitar just simply had nothing going for it. So I went from bottom to top and got an LP U3 but that had to go back too. Second one, I'm overall happy with.

I REALLY wanted an Ultra III, played one and LOVE the playability and tone, but reading about issues like these (and the STRING BUZZ) have kept me from buying.

Do you guys think its just a bad run of Ultra's and the quality will improve over time, or are these issues design flaws?

I REALLY wanted an Ultra III, played one and LOVE the playability and tone, but reading about issues like these (and the STRING BUZZ) have kept me from buying.

Do you guys think its just a bad run of Ultra's and the quality will improve over time, or are these issues design flaws?

Hopefully it's just a bad run and Epi/Gibson will make changes to improve the next. With that said, they should really do something for current owners because the current state of the Ultra IIIs is ridiculous.

That is a bummer! :( My very first Epi was a 335 dot studio that I was real excited about. But I just couldn't get good sound out of it even after a set up it still sounded very flat. I knew that I bought the very bottom of the barrel but that guitar just simply had nothing going for it. So I went from bottom to top and got an LP U3 but that had to go back too. Second one, I'm overall happy with.

That was my first Epi experience also only with a regular DOT. I gutted it and replaced all the internals, still not happy with the sound so I sold it. Had an Special and a Studio sold them. See how I am creeping up on a better Epi!!!

I have a Standard plus-top that is Epi perfection personified. I'm Happy with it. See my Avitar.

Archived