Gibson Brands Forums

What about two signature J45 ?

gotomsdos

@gotomsdos

Are you any closer to making a purchase?

Have you decided on the J-45 now?

It's a fair bit of research, Q&A'ing you've done, I'm curious if it's helped you narrow it down to a choice now, or if it has only muddied the field of choices. Which model would you most like to own?

I got play the Hiatt model regularly and did a comparison on these boards a while back between it, a J-45 TV and a Standard J-45.

The JH has a bright, open sound but the bass is still 'vertically' deep (as opposed to the fat - some might say muddy - bass of some Martin dreads for example). It has the bracing of an AJ but with a short scale of a 45. Great guitar.

Personally I preferred the particular Standard on balance and that's what I bought. No regrets. It had a more focused attack (typical of non-scalloped, 'back-shifted' bracing) and fat trebles but a slightly darker bass. I have played many Standard J-45 that don't sound like that one but each have their own charm. Appointment wise the JH is a very stylish guitar and BTW has some updated electronics if that is a consideration.

Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on model number and spec sheets. Don't try too hard to find your guitar. Let it find you. It (might) spare you some heartache, money and a lot of buying and selling. But who knows, maybe that is your journey so what do I know? Enjoy it though whatever you do. Getting in a knot over which guitar we should buy is a lovely luxury to have in this world. [biggrin]

Yep, It's 1.625 " !

Crazy!

So, Go2msDos, have you answered your own question? Not to be repetitious, but rather than your coming up with another - I strongly suggest you look into going to the annual Gibson Accoustic Forum pilgrimage to Bozeman. You could ask away and save guitar playing time you spend here asking questions and then questioning the answers :)! Since you say you are on a quest to purchase several new Gibsons - it would be even more cost effective than trying to figure out the currency exchange rates that were one of your earlier concerns. G'Luck.

be a hell of a pilgramage for goto , he's from asia

/quote]

Yes, I was aware of that...I believe he said he was in China. Still cheaper than buying several new guitars from other countries, having them shipped, stressing over the currency translation and finding he doesn't like them. Since, as I recall, he said actual hands on playing was out of the question - making a pilgrimage to Mecca might be a life changing event for someone so fanatical about Gibsons. Or, he could buy a book.

Archived