Gibson Brands Forums

Great Jobs ! you vintage J-50s did !

gotomsdos

I don't have the short-lived cherryburst phase, but do have all the others, and will post when I get the chance.

Edit: Here they are. First here's old FON 3644-8 in the spring of 1967. And yes, that was me once upon a time, 45 years ago. I had just bought the guitar for the princely sum of $50, plus about $10-15 for the chipboard case. A friend painted the name for another $5. It was larger than expected, but I was going to be a star......NOT! Guitar was in this form from 1948 to 1968, when Gibson re-topped and returned it in that horrible '68 cherry red burst. No picture of the cherry red phase, thank God.

spring1967.jpg

Next, 3644-8 in its 1971-2011 livery. She spent 40 years as a J-50. I stipped the cherry burst carefully, then masked and sprayed the top with Deft nitrocellulose lacquer, out of spray cans! It actually came out really, really good. I call it her "Blonde on Blonde" phase. She looked pretty good for a "bottle blonde".

blondeonblonde.jpg

Finally, 3644-8 today, six months after her million-mile tune-up by Ross Teigen. Among many other things, new replica of original bridge and pickguard, and near-replica of the original sunburst, albeit with a larger amber center. That's OK. She looks a lot more like her old self. The old girl has traveled many a mile, most of them with me, over her almost 65 years. She and her owner are almost the same age, but the owner is a year or so older......

thewholething.jpg

geez , when a man sells his trousers for a guitar , thats dedication

:-)

Hey, It was a different time!

The story gets better with these details in place. I/we clearly see the picture of the 2 young men with a vision of something else – the ambition to throw the dart directly towards bulls eyes of the exploding times. Some would have just painted the top, others done back'n'sides too. You and the luthier in spe had wilder ambitions – nothing less that to decorate the zone where the chords and notes are chosen. The fact that the 9th fret stays straight for then to meet a single flake further up is a scoop in it self. A trace of something unpredictable is revealed. Did the project strand, , , did the intoxication fade out about step 12 – no matter what, the authenticity is unbeatable.

But Nick – you were not the only soul converting to the land of hip back then. Check young E-minor7's 7 inch single-album insert from the same period of blooming beat history -

Singlealbum.jpg

Think the electric must be based on Hendrix's upside down Strat -

[

But Nick – you were not the only soul converting to the land of hip back then. Check young E-minor7's 7 inch single-album insert from the same period of blooming beat history

Singlealbum.jpg

Think the electric must be based on Hendrix's upside down Strat -[/size][/font][/color]

Em7, It's funny how some of us become infatuated with music early, and maintain that fascination throughout a lifetime. As a child, I used to go into my room at night, turn on the radio, and listen to popular music, memorizing the lyrics and committing every note of the music itself to memory. I hate to say it, but that stuff still clutters up my mind. A photographic memory for music and lyrics is a mixed blessing at best.

We're talking the late 50's here. We had a TV, but I was pretty bored by it, although I loved watching Ozzie and Harriet just for the songs that Ricky Nelson would do in every episode.

I understand the young Em7's obsession with music and the Beatles at an early age... but what exactly is the 11-armed bit of protoplasm in the corner of your album cover drawing? Is it sinister, or benign? It looks vaguely familiar......

... but what exactly is the 11-armed bit of protoplasm in the corner of your album cover drawing?

Hehe, , , the green multi-armed is a psychedelic organism from the world of plants – not the Abbey Road octopus though the drawing is from approx that period.

This was the era when felt-pens in all colors and sizes entered the scene and some of you might remember how they kinda of made people happy. Believe it or not you younger readers, but they too contributed to the new free feeling in the years around 1970.

In my universe the shaghetti-arm-flower was made in many color variations - apparently only 1 found way to the single album insert. Looks as if the excitement of LOVE-word-writing needed its space. . .

Here's a purple version from my 60's scrap-book.

TheFabalbum.jpg

Archived