Gibson Brands Forums

Schematics

Fungus

Anyone know where I can find the schematics for all of the various les paul models? I am curious to see the differences in wiring between the models.

I own a les paul model 100 and can't seem to find the schematic for that anywhere.....

Hi, all 2 humbucker epiphones that do not have coil splitting, have a 3 way switch and a volume and tone for each pickup are wired up in a configuration that we generally called "dependant modern"

jonesy-albums-wiring-diagrams-picture4855-wiring-modern.jpg

some have a plastic connector thingy, but the diagram is the same.

for more info on guitar electrics, check out the DIY sticky thread in the Epi lounge.

Schematics are difficult.

Diagrams are easy and there are, as Neil pointed out, many good sources in the DIY.

A picture would make for a positive ID.............Still......

With the exception of some limited edition LPs, both Epi and Gibson, Neil is spot on.

Modern Dependent

If I was running for president I would bet $10,000 on it.

(Kidding...don't go political on me)

Why are you curious? Thinking of changing something?

Willy

Edit: Even though Neil's diagram is 100% correct, Epiphone's stock Modern Dependent often looks like this:

EEcavity-1.jpg

or this:

100_3098.jpg

W.W.

Well.....I am one of those guys who sometimes takes things apart to see what makes them tick. I am also very curious how each of the different wiring set ups affect the sound.

I bought one of Dan Erlewine's books on maintenance and repair and he goes into great detail about the wiring of the various models from days gone by.....I find it very interesting.

One day I may indeed change some things.......

Well, the one that Bigneil put up is one of the basic four. When it comes to two humbucker, three way toggle switch, and

2 vol, 2 tone...50's Dependent, Modern Dependent, 50's Independent and Modern Independent.

They are here:

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/WireLibrary-Gibson.html

Most (not all) Gibson style wiring schemes are variations of them. There are plenty to examine at the Seymour Duncan site:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

And at Guitarelectronics:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.2_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

The confusing issue to many is the capacitor placement on Epis that are "Modern Dependent".

The way Epi does it is to ground the cap to the pot it is coming from and then use a wire to connect to the volume.

(same principle as Neils drawing) It does work for Mod Dep or Mod Independent.

After those four basics the variations are almost endless. If you go to 4 conductor pickups you can get really crazy.

You could use 2 push/pull volumes and 2 Push/pull tones. Latest greatest Jimmy Page. It will actually give you 21 variations on one guitar. Ya, like I could remember all that!

Throw the different value and type of pots and caps into the mix and you can literally drive yourself nuts.

Hope you find the links interesting,

Willy

Thanks for all this information!![thumbup]

I propose to put the schematics and / or the links to the DIY thread of this forum, so that everyone can find it in the future.

What do you think???

I think that I am very proud to be a member of a forum that has members who, like yourself, care about helping others.

The consideration that you are showing was what drove Animalfarm to start the DIY in the first place.

The links I provided above all came from the wiring section of the DIY so they are preserved. I only put up the individual links when it will help a member move directly to the information he desires. Otherwise, like many fellow members, I simply send them to the DIY.

...for more info on guitar electrics, check out the DIY sticky thread in the Epi lounge.

Animalfarm's DIY at top of EPI Lounge:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

I will add that, until someone else takes over the DIY, I did start a post in it. In it I keep links to websites, posts and information that I think may be of future use. If the subject comes up then I can sometimes offer others additional input.

Perhaps you might consider doing the same.

Much thanks for your consideration and keep up the good work.

Willy

Archived