Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo Questions

JohnnyReb

Hello there! I am a new member and also a new Gibson fan! I am pleased to be here :)

Ive always been a Martin guy. Mainly because im a bluegrass player mainly. The other day i swapped a D28 for a Gibson Advanced Jumbo that knocked my socks off! Twice the volume and power. Its a real " bone Crusher". I can understand why you normally wouldnt bring a Gibson to a bluegrass jam, but the AJ is def a heavyweight contender.

Anyway, im having trouble finding the true specs of the AJ. There not listed on the site anymore. It is a standard Aj with spruce and indian rosewood b&s. I know its scalloped bracing, but is it forward shifted too? I know i can see the X brace just a hair below the soundhole so im assuming it is forward shifted. Also i cant find the nut and saddle materials. Anybody know if its bone or ??? Serial number is 10080055 and im assuming its a 2010. Any clarification would be helpfull. Thanks!

Serial number is 10080055 and im assuming its a 2010. Any clarification would be helpfull. Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

That is a 2010. There are plenty of knowledgeable AJ fans here, so chances are that all your questions will be answered before tomorrow.

Good luck!

Welcome!

I know its scalloped bracing, but is it forward shifted too? I know i can see the X brace just a hair below the soundhole so im assuming it is forward shifted.

Yes, forward-shifted.

Also i cant find the nut and saddle materials.

Bone nut and saddle.

-- Bob R

Many of the old mid 30's Gibsons make extraordinary bluegrass guitars -- certainly the AJ, and also some (but not all) RSRG, Jumbos, RSSD, and even some J-35s. The problem is that bluegrass people are largely uneducated in this area.

Here are a pair of our bluegrass "extreme" guitars -- a 1935 D-28 and a 1936 AJ.

spotandaj.jpg

Here is another pair of mid-30 killer Gibsons -- a 1935 Jumbo and a 1935 Smeck RG

JumboRG.jpg

When you walk up to a BG jam session with the old bone, everybody knows instantly -- the players, the listeners, the children, the pets -- everybody. It is totally identifiable.

But when you walk up with an old Gibson, they are mostly mistaken for J-45s. J-45s are fine guitars in their own right, but as you say, not BG guitars. So they get ignored -- until they get played of course.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Hey thanks for the info! And those are some real beuties! And when i take my AJ to the next jam, whoever mistakes it for a j45 is in for a shock. These Aj must be a well kept secret too. I had never even heard much about one. Of course my musical flavor had been dominated by martins. But im glad i discovered the AJ. It didnt compare to my d28, it flat out trounced it! A few HD28 guys i know are in for a butt kicking as well here soon :) Anybody who says Gibson doesnt make a good bluegrass guitar obviosly hasnt had a good AJ in their hands. Its definitly a keeper a HOSS of a guitar

Hey thanks for the info! And those are some real beuties! And when i take my AJ to the next jam, whoever mistakes it for a j45 is in for a shock. These Aj must be a well kept secret too. I had never even heard much about one. Of course my musical flavor had been dominated by martins. But im glad i discovered the AJ. It didnt compare to my d28, it flat out trounced it! A few HD28 guys i know are in for a butt kicking as well here soon :) Anybody who says Gibson doesnt make a good bluegrass guitar obviosly hasnt had a good AJ in their hands. Its definitly a keeper a HOSS of a guitar

Welcome to the Gibson experience. [biggrin]

Don't think we're all bunch of one-trick ponies here. A large percentage of us own both Gibsons and Martins, and often a few others as well.

Yes sir, and thank you for the warm welcome. Oh no i never assumed that at all. I myself own a variety, and am still a Martin fan. Ive always been somewhat of a rebel, against the grain kinda person....hence the name :) im just tickled to death to be able to play something different than the status quoe, and show a few local guys that a gibson can compete in the bluegrass world

Thank you thank you. Sadly....im using a iphone 4 and i cant seem to upload pics from it to this site. I live in a " holler" on the Ky Tn state line and havent been able to get internet here for a computer. And by the way, a iphone app for this site would be great!

I bought a new (2005. but new) AJ a few weeks ago and I have to say I love it. I'f found it really delicate and responsive. Easy to coax sounds from. I'm too ham-fingered to be a grasser (although I will botch the occasional run), but I do see how it would really shine in that venue. Congrats!

Archived