Gibson Brands Forums

1936 L-00 re-ssiues?

Guest NattyBumppo

Guest NattyBumppo

Does anyone know the nut width of the earlier 1936 L-00 re-issue? Any additional info about them (think they were made late 90s into early 2000s) would be appreciated.

They had the standard nut width that most Gibsons have. Most of them bear little tonal resemblance to an original L-00, however. Not one of Gibsons most meticulous reissues. Now the L-00 Legend, that's another story entirely.

Most of them bear little tonal resemblance to an original L-00

Modac is right. The originals had thin tops and light braces. The reissues (92, off and on, to present) are little tanks. Not all that responsive for a small body. Also, 25.5 scale vs 24.75 on the originals, so tighter and brighter as well. Neck on mine was a wide fat C. Been there, moved on.

i was planning on buying one of those L-00 tomorrow...i found a clean example...(i think 2000 or 2001) for like a grand...whats the good word on those?

the only other alternatives i can see for that guitar would be a b15 or possibly the arlo guthri lg-2

what does everyone think?

If you like the guitar, buy it. I haven't liked any but one of them, and I've probably played 15 of them over the years. When you've had a good original L-00, it's tough to settle for reissues that just don't measure up in any meaningful way. But who knows---maybe you have found a great one---I'm sure there are some out there.

..i found a clean example...(i think 2000 or 2001) for like a grand..

Grand is a decent price. You can probably get it back if you get disenchanted.

LG2/B25 & such are a different sound. Softer than the LOOs (see current LG2 thread) + plus the worrisome wear and tear issues that come with older guitars. The Blues King is probably a safer bet all round, assuming it tickles your ear.

i was planning on buying one of those L-00 tomorrow...i found a clean example...(i think 2000 or 2001) for like a grand...whats the good word on those?

the only other alternatives i can see for that guitar would be a b15 or possibly the arlo guthri lg-2

what does everyone think?

grab it if you like the sound. they are so sweet. you're ear get used to the typical sounds of jumbos and dreads but the smaller bodies throw a curve at your ear and give you a new perspective.

i noticed that the 00's are going on ebay for around 1K but the blues king commands a higher price - upwards of 2K. different specs though, right? i played a blues king recently and was more than impressed - especially since i was looking primarily for a jumbo.

I have one of the newer L-00 Blues Kings in bubinga and I must say that this guitar sounds more like the older ones than what Gibson's been putting out these past years in mahogany. Now, I don't mean to say that this guitar actually sounds like a vintage L-00. Even the Legends don't exactly capture that tone. Just that bubinga has a "dryer" "punchier" sound compared to what mahogany sounds like in this model. I've owned both deep body and regular depth hog L-00/ Blues Kings over the past few years and I think this version is a step in the right direction. Ce

I have a 2004 L-00 Blues King. It is the driest, punchiest, lightest guitar I ever played. The whole body of the guitar resonates when you play it. It's great. It uses every bit of that little body to project the sound out.

The tone is very warm. Fat highs and that special Gibson hog bass tone.

All in all a great guitar.

thanks everyone for the advice...i am heading over to the bank in like 20 minutes than off to meet the guy!

if it doesnt wow me...i will not buy it...(to all of you out there worried about my well-being...thanks!)

but if it does wow me...then...i dont know if i'd buy another guitar again!...ok ok...that was a bit drastic...i am sorry!

besides i live 15 minutes from two amazing luthiers...one more for electrics but one for acoustics...this guy has like a 9 month waiting list...so i better put my name down now!

ill post pics...eventually

Mr Newhave....I have gone to meet with guys selling used versions of this guitar 3 times.....and was underwhelmed....they were VERY bass challenged, AND two of them had neck problems, one was twisted, and one had less than 1 /16" of saddle showing at the bridge, AND it had high action. In other words, it needed a neck reset after only 6 years of use....the twisted neck is almost impossible to fix....so be careful....And for the price of these new, you think they could throw in a hard case instead of that gig bag.......good luck....one other I tried at Gryphon's in Palo Alto, CA was good, except they wanted $1400 for a used one which I thought was steep.....lastly, this is a very soft market for used guitars where I am, don't know about where you are.....BUT....negotiate hard....it is your right....lol

*********UPDATE********

i just picked up my L-00 and let me tell you guys...it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

first of all i appreciate all the input everyone!

really i do!

i met the gentleman in the parking lot of a music store and out comes the L-00.

it has its own Gibson HardShell Case...

he had all of the case candy and original receipts.

he bought it from Elderly Music back in 01 for around $1500 brand new

according to him (and i have no reason not to believe him...he is an older man...and comes across as very plain spoken and down to earth)...anyways according to him he bought the guitar new from Elderly with the intention of playing fingerstyle blues...he says he played it non-stop for the first 6 months he owned it and then got himself an original and this sat in the case for 7 years.

I looked it over thoroughly and there were hardly any signs of wear on it at all...some fingerprints but no bubbles in the laquer...no cracks...checking...the bridge was flush on the top...the neck felt straight no cracks...it really looked brand new just as he advertised...

i strummed a few chords and could just feel the notes reverberate through my whole body!

(its not as loud as a J45 or J50) but the tone is there...

im new to guitars...after a long hiatus...so my knowledge is more academic than practical...i have never played a true '36 L-00 so i have no basis for comparison but i do feel as though i can tell if the guitar has "the tone" or not...it certainly does!

now for all of you out there with the originals...im jealous because if i am loving on this 7 year old re-issue so much i can just imagine what i would be like with an original!

for now though its back in its case and in my condo...(i am at work...not for long though!)

so for right now its awesome...ill post some pics once i settle in...

any advice on humidity control anyone??

it came with the original gibson humidifier but the idea of sticking a wet rubber tube in my beautiful guitar seems almost sac-religious!

are there better alternatives out there?

Guest NattyBumppo

Thanks very much to everyone for the helpful info and a special CONGRATS to mr. Newhaven on the great find and new addition! Many years of happy, healthy playing that L-00!

I've decided to pass on the one I was looking at.

Natty

Archived