Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Lucille Reborn

Sniper1

The electronics in my Epi Lucille chit the bed,bridge pickup died first,toggle switch went next,varitone decided to squeal like a pig,

truss rod slides back and forth in neck,all electronics are now absolutely dead.

I have now completely gutted this beast for a complete make over.

First,the truss rod,Googled the net,seems some Epiphone guitars have my problem and was advised that as long as the truss rod

could still be adjusted,don't worry about it,my truss rod works even though its slides back and forth,problem solved??.

Next,the wiring harness,no problem there as the harness is the same as a LP without the varitone switch,speaking of which I will be using a Big D

varitone switch,I have several Big Ds and Gibson does not even come close to a Big D.

Next,pickups,here I have need of advice,Lucille came with Epi classic 57s,not bad sounding,but not my cup of tea.

I can not afford Gibson 57s,TV Jones etc,so I'm looking at GFS pickups,any thoughts?

I play old school surf and country lead guitar("Don't know no chords"ala BB King)and use 12/52s flatwound strings.

One other option I like is to install dog ear P90s(neck and bridge)or humbucker in the bridge and P90 humbucker in the neck.

For Surf and Country playing, I'd recommend GFS Surf 90's. They're modeled after DeArmond Dynasonic pickups (single coils similar to P-90's but with their own tonal character), they'll drop right in to the humbucker routs with no additional mods to the guitar --- and they're affordable.

If you're in the USA, look at used PU's on eBay, there's a ton of them. You can get some high quality American-made ones used for around half price. I'd go with either a set of Duncan PAF's (like '59's). If you want P-90's, the GFS Mean 90's (not Dream 90's) have a good reputation and they're affordable.

:-k

I'm using my Epi Lucille for nearly 5 years now - all stock

never had any issue....... [-(

Seems that buying a Epi Lucille is a luck of the draw,either you get a good one or you don't,in my case

I got a total disaster,Lucille was fine until the day after the warranty ran out(just my luck,"If I didn't have bad

luck,I'd have no luck at all")She just started dying one component at a time.

The whole point of my post is I am looking for help trying to salvage a $700 investment.

Seems that buying a Epi Lucille is a luck of the draw,either you get a good one or you don't,in my case

I got a total disaster,Lucille was fine until the day after the warranty ran out(just my luck,"If I didn't have bad

luck,I'd have no luck at all")She just started dying one component at a time.

The whole point of my post is I am looking for help trying to salvage a $700 investment.

They have a limited lifetime warranty, so if you're the original purchaser, it should still be under warranty.

They have a limited lifetime warranty, so if you're the original purchaser, it should still be under warranty.

Epiphone and I are no longer on speaking terms as far as their warranty is concerned( very long story)however,Epi did send

me a new set of pickups free even though the pickups were the wrong set for Lucille(not classic 57s).

Seems to me that the Gibson/Epiphone warranty policy is geared more for the Gibson owners than the Epiphone owners,I have a friend who has a

Gibson Les Paul Supreme,whenever he calls Gibson about his Supreme,Gibson goes all out to satisfy him,I call about my Epiphone and the chit hits the proverbial fan.

Archived