Gibson Brands Forums

SJ 200 True Vintage?

Lefty

I'm interested in a Gibson Jumbo. Today I found one for sale (SN 00081004). I think that means it was finished on Jan 8, 2000, the 4th instrument that day. The label below the sound hole is Orange and says SJ 200. Does anyone know if this is a True Vintage SJ 200? Thanks

Thanks, will snap a photo of it tomorrow. It is a natural finish. Does the Orange label mean anything by comparison to a white label in 2001?

Nope. True vintage was not a designation in 2001 and all labels were orange. I would consider it a standard SJ-200 at the time. I had a J-185 that was similar, it had an orange label and the maltese crosses yet it was just a standard at the time. Does the 200 have a pick up?

I'm interested in a Gibson Jumbo. Today I found one for sale (SN 00081004). I think that means it was finished on Jan 8, 2000, the 4th instrument that day. The label below the sound hole is Orange and says SJ 200. Does anyone know if this is a True Vintage SJ 200? Thanks

It was made on the 8th in 2001, the 4th of this date. So impossible that it's a TV coz TV was introduced in 2007.

Thanks all. Really appreciate the help. It does have a pick-up but it is an aftermarket EMG. Professionally installed, no signs of cutting or anything weird. FWIW the guitar sounds and plays great and looks really nice too.

It's not a true vintage but it might be from the historic collection since it's 2001.

Orange label seems to indicate this further .

white labels are used for standards .

I have a Sj 200 TV in lefty (made in 2007).

JC

White labels were used in 2001? I don't think so.

Thanks all. Really appreciate the help. It does have a pick-up but it is an aftermarket EMG. Professionally installed, no signs of cutting or anything weird. FWIW the guitar sounds and plays great and looks really nice too.

I'm sure it's an awesome guitar, if you like it and the price is right go for it!!!

THe TV models seem to be an overall lighter build, Lefty...

I have the SJ-200TV model in sunburst (righty), compared with SJ-200 standards it appears to be a lighter build and has a couple of appointments on top that are nice. 'well worth the extra money' is a personal decision, for me the feature set was deemed worth it at the time, no second guessing, no buyers remorse regarding this guitar. Given the dating I would guess it's certainly not the TV design but could be the predecessor historic collection.

Good luck on your decision.

I have a '03 and it is a standard with the orange label. The Historic models had orange labels, but said Historic Collection on the label, and ran from '04-'05 or so.

They also had blue Historic Collection stickers on the back of the neck. Pickups were not standard with any of these until the Modern Classic's came out after the Historic.

The TV's as mentioned above have lighter (advanced?) bracing, but other than that, I can't see any other difference in my '03. Same tulip tuners. Anything else? Could be a thinner top? I believe both have sitka tops, but some TV SJ200 had Adirondak?

But your '01 should be a great SJ200, it has had time for the finish to cure and the wood to dry more, play it everyday and it should be a tone giant.

Archived