Gibson Brands Forums

The most obvious mods

Duppy

What are the most obvious mods to carry out on an a standard Epiphone model (not Elitist or special edition models) to bring it up a level in quality of performance and tone?

Would it be:

1. Change out the pickups to Seymour Duncans, Gibsons, Dimarzio's etc

2. Upgrade the nut to a Corian PLEK System one etc

3. Upgrade the electrics, pots etc

What are the most obvious mods to carry out on an a standard Epiphone model (not Elitist or special edition models) to bring it up a level in quality of performance and tone?

Would it be:

1. Change out the pickups to Seymour Duncans, Gibsons, Dimarzio's etc

2. Upgrade the nut to a Corian PLEK System one etc

3. Upgrade the electrics, pots etc

On a newer model. A Nut job - Maybe...

On an older model - All of the above - Perhaps....

How old is it.

Maybe a Tusq XL nut.

Open the control cavity in the back of the guitar and see how large the pots are. If they are tiny replace all the electronics. If they are large about 1 inch pots. You have Epi's upgraded electronics.

Then it's up to the tone you want if you need to get new pups.

If it twere me, I'd do the nut, a fret level and dress and a new set of strings. Then a pick up height adjustment. That way you're sure that you've given the stock pickups a chance at sounding good before you give up on them. You can always do more after that.

If it twere me, I'd do the nut, a fret level and dress and a new set of strings. Then a pick up height adjustment. That way you're sure that you've given the stock pickups a chance at sounding good before you give up on them. You can always do more after that.

+1 [thumbup]

assuming everything is in acceptable working condition, my order is-

bridge

wiring (pots/caps/switch/jack)

pickups

but a proper setup would be first, of course. i might swap out a plastic nut for a bone one as part of a setup, as well. and anything else that is lacking, like tuners and such, would be handled during the initial setup.

if we are dealing with a semi or full hollow, i may consider doing everything at the same time in the interest of sparing the cash and agony of working on them over and over again. it is in my nature to change everything out sooner or later, but it is easier to do that piecemeal on a solid body.

Archived