Gibson Brands Forums

Question about my studio deluxe

axegr1nder

I have a LP studio deluxe in layaway, just halfway paid..

So in the meantime im scouring the web, watching videos reading reviews everything.. this is my first gibson so im super excited.

One thing i noticed is that it does not have the word deluxe on the truss rod cover.

then i go to guitar centers site, and the specification description says that the truss cover is stambed "deluxe" but in thier picture the word is missing as well.

i have the iced tea color lp studio deluxe.

why do i not have a deluxe truss cover? and should I worry to get one for the guitar?

thanks!

here is a link to it on GC site:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-106722663-i2170311.gc

You can never tell with GC, it might be a run made especially for them that happens to have a blank TRC.

The Gibson specs the Studio Deluxe, Deluxe 60s and Deluxe 50s all call for a "Deluxe" TRC. I would ask them for an explanation if you don't get one from someone here.

BTW, GC lists an included H/S case - when you pickup the guitar, check the paper work inside the case to see of the serial listed on the factory check list is the same on that's on the guitar - GC is infamous for mixing up cases/paperwork. If it's the wrong case/paperwork, they might be able to locate the correct one, if they didn't give it to someone else by mistake.

The 50's Studio Deluxe has a "blank" truss rod cover.

The 60's Studio Deluxe says "Deluxe" on the truss rod cover.

Check out the Gibson website you will notice the subtle difference. I have the 50's Studio Deluxe and it came with a blank cover from GC.

true, but mine is neither a 50s or 60s, its the studio deluxe..

I suppose its the way it comes since that is how it is pictured on the gc site as well..

The Studio Deluxe comes with either a '50's or '60's neck. The Iced Tea only comes with a '50's neck. GC has it marked wrong on their website as having a 60's neck. In fact, the one they have in my local store is also marked wrong on the tag. If I remember rightly, the '60's, said "'60s Neck" on the TRC. I can't tell you why the '50's TRC is blank, but if that's the way they are, I wouldn't stress about it. But there are definitely two different styles of Studio Deluxe models.

The Studio Deluxe comes with either a '50's or '60's neck. The Iced Tea only comes with a '50's neck. GC has it marked wrong on their website as having a 60's neck. In fact, the one they have in my local store is also marked wrong on the tag. If I remember rightly, the '60's, said "'60s Neck" on the TRC. I can't tell you why the '50's TRC is blank, but if that's the way they are, I wouldn't stress about it. But there are definitely two different styles of Studio Deluxe models.

I bought a Gibson LP Studio Deluxe 60's (60's neck) from GC last year. Truss rod cover says "Deluxe" not 60's neck [thumbup]

well theres the studio 50's, and the studio 60's, those are both listed @ 899.00 (if i remember correctly, probably not)

and the studio deluxe im buying that cost 1399.00 so it isnt really a 50's or a 60's.. just a deluxe..

confusing

now i have no idea what im buying, I played it, and it felt great.. so thats what matters.. but i was set on that 60's neck i thought i was jamming on..

is a 50s neck much larger?

Yes, the $1399 guitar you are buying is a Studio Deluxe. They weren't referring to the $899 guitars. Regarding the neck differences, the 50's neck is definitely thicker and has a more rounded feel. I have LP's with both types of necks and can definitely feel a difference. If you tested out a 60's neck guitar, I would strongly suggest that you go play the 50's neck before you leave the store with it and make sure that you are happy with that neck profile.

Yes, the $1399 guitar you are buying is a Studio Deluxe. They weren't referring to the $899 guitars. Regarding the neck differences, the 50's neck is definitely thicker and has a more rounded feel. I have LP's with both types of necks and can definitely feel a difference. If you tested out a 60's neck guitar, I would strongly suggest that you go play the 50's neck before you leave the store with it and make sure that you are happy with that neck profile.

well the guitar I have in layaway is the one I played on... I thought it was a 60's as gc advertises..

felt good to me.

well theres the studio 50's, and the studio 60's, those are both listed @ 899.00 (if i remember correctly, probably not)

and the studio deluxe im buying that cost 1399.00 so it isnt really a 50's or a 60's.. just a deluxe..

confusing

now i have no idea what im buying, I played it, and it felt great.. so thats what matters.. but i was set on that 60's neck i thought i was jamming on..

is a 50s neck much larger?

The Studio Deluxe comes with your choice of a 50's neck or a 60's neck. The 60's neck is slimmer than the 50's neck. The 50's comes with a blank trussrod cover, while the 60's says "Deluxe". This particular model retails for 1399.00.

If you played Iced Tea Burst, you played a 50s neck. As, the Iced Tea burst is only available for the 50's

The Studio Deluxe comes with your choice of a 50's neck or a 60's neck. The 60's neck is slimmer than the 50's neck. The 50's comes with a blank trussrod cover, while the 60's says "Deluxe". This particular model retails for 1399.00.

If you played Iced Tea Burst, you played a 50s neck. As, the Iced Tea burst is only available for the 50's

thanks guys, I guess I like the 50's neck and thought it was a 60's.

which is wierd because i play metal, I own a jackson and a bc rich.. and I sold an ibanez and another bc rich to put this lp in layaway..

will def be the thickest neck i own..

thanks guys!

thanks guys, I guess I like the 50's neck and thought it was a 60's.

which is wierd because i play metal, I own a jackson and a bc rich.. and I sold an ibanez and another bc rich to put this lp in layaway..

will def be the thickest neck i own..

thanks guys!

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it felt good. Not all '50's necks are the same. I have an '07 Standard with a round 50's neck and it actually measures smaller at the first fret than my Am Dlx Strat. It's larger at the 12th fret though. They're hand sanded so you're going to get some variation.

I believe you are describing the exact guitar I bought a GC about 2 weeks ago.

The Les Paul Studio Deluxe 50's (neck) in Iced Tea Burst.

pictures of mine here if your interested

Gibson specs here

IMHO a fantastic guitar. I love mine, no buyers remorse at all. It looks, sounds, and plays awesome. Love the '50s neck, coil taps are great, baked maple fretboard is great. No issues. [thumbup]

I believe you are describing the exact guitar I bought a GC about 2 weeks ago.

The Les Paul Studio Deluxe 50's (neck) in Iced Tea Burst.

pictures of mine here if your interested

Gibson specs here

IMHO a fantastic guitar. I love mine, no buyers remorse at all. It looks, sounds, and plays awesome. Love the '50s neck, coil taps are great, baked maple fretboard is great. No issues. [thumbup]

I think i am too.. GC doesnt have it listed as 50's though.. so i was confused.

Archived