Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker Pros in G-400

jwsamuel

Has anyone installed Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups in a G-400? I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio with BBP pickups. I am planning to change the pickups in that guitar to Classic '57s. I thought that after that, it might be good to move the BBP pickups into my G-400. Has anyone done that and had results that were astoundingly good or horribly bad?

Thanks,

Jim

Has anyone installed Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups in a G-400? I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio with BBP pickups. I am planning to change the pickups in that guitar to Classic '57s. I thought that after that, it might be good to move the BBP pickups into my G-400. Has anyone done that and had results that were astoundingly good or horribly bad?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim.

I installed 2 Burstbucker Pro's in my G400 Custom last week. I installed an Epi Classic

in the middle position though. Sounds a bit closer to my old Gibson '67 SG but I'm still

doing some minor adjustments until I'm totally happy with them.

I also installed 2 Gibson 57 Classics in my Epi Black Beauty and a 498T in the middle position. WOW!!! [woot] Best it's ever sounded.

If you're contemplating a pup change in your G400, the 57 classics are the best. [thumbup]

They are the closest to the original PAF sound IMHO. The Burstbuckers are a bit harsher

and will need a few adjustments. Pickup height will make some difference and perhaps adjusting the poles also. You'll figure it out. It's all about what sounds good

to your ears anyway. (you can always adjust your tone controls to suit)

I don't have any pics yet, but I will try to post them soon.

Cheers

Paul

Here's my G400 Custom with the BBpro's on.

Have them set just right now. Took some work and patience, but they sing beautifully now.

cimg1168f.jpg

My Black Beauty3 with the 57 Classics and 498T.

Mann does it sound Goooood!!! Looks nice, clean and new again. [thumbup]

cimg1165i.jpg

Cheers

Not fitted them in an SG but I would echo what Epirocks said. From experience BBPros are very (and I mean VERY ) sensitive to both pickup and pole piece height. Get it right and they are sweet as honey, get it even the slightest bit off and they can sound really harsh. 57 Classics are certainly more forgiving and sound wonderful, especially mated with a P90 (P94, GFS Mean 90, etc) at the neck.

This isn't to say don't fit the BBPro's - just be prepared to spend some time with them, it's worth it.

If you're contemplating a pup change in your G400, the 57 classics are the best.

They are the closest to the original PAF sound IMHO.

On the Seymour Duncan site, BB's (A2 mag) are more highly regarded than '57's, which get mixed reviews. BBP's (A5 mag) aren't overly popular (a little bright and thin). As far as being like original PAF's, the unpotted BB's from a few years ago are the closest of the Gibsons. Even closer would be Duncan Seth's (which were designed with Seth Lover, the guy who invented HB's).

To some of us, '57's are a little dark and muffled in the neck, and can be a little too rounded on top in the bridge, but it varies depending on the guitar. I bought an LP with a pair of Gibson '57's and pulled them out and sold them, didn't sound that good. They are not a 'magic bullet' by any means.

On the Duncan site, a lot of us swap out magnets to change PU's EQ's. A great magnet is an UOA5 (unoriented A5) which has the rich warm vintage dynamics and feel of an A2, but with a little more treble, which fixes A2's occasional problems. A5's, as in BBP's, have lots of treble and bass, and are mid-scooped; again an UOA5 would probably be a big improvement if you find a BBP harsh.

I read a very in depth comparrison between all the best PAF-alikes on the market and the ones that came out tops were SD Seth Lovers followed by gibby BB 1 and 2s except the gibby ones squeeled a lit more when the gain was turned up....I'll see if I can find it ....brb.

EDIT....here, read this.

my link

To some of us, '57's are a little dark and muffled in the neck, and can be a little too rounded on top in the bridge, but it varies depending on the guitar. I bought an LP with a pair of Gibson '57's and pulled them out and sold them, didn't sound that good. They are not a 'magic bullet' by any means.

This is why the P90 neck & Classic 57 bridge combo works so well. You get the bite of the P90 and the rounded character of the 57 plus the ability to blend them to tailor the tone.

As I said, BB Pros can sound fantastic if setup correctly (pole piece and pickup height) but does seem to be amp dependant as well i.e. what sounds awesome through say a Marshall JMP45 combo may sound really harsh through an AC30 of the same vintage or even a Marshall JCM900.

Would I recommend them? 100% when I come to sell them to fund a Bare Knuckle HB for the bridge (or poss a Classic 57) to go with the Mean 90 I've got ready to put in the neck of Genevieve.

Go figure!!!

I read a very in depth comparrison between all the best PAF-alikes on the market and the ones that came out tops were SD Seth Lovers followed by gibby BB 1 and 2s except the gibby ones squeeled a lit more when the gain was turned up

+1. Both have A2 magnets and both are unpotted (at least BB's were unpotted until a few years ago). Without wax, a HB has a more airy sound and seems to breathe.

+1. Both have A2 magnets and both are unpotted (at least BB's were unpotted until a few years ago). Without wax, a HB has a more airy sound and seems to breathe.

I fired up the G400 Custom with her new BB Pro's and......no squeeling at all, even with the gain up at max. I put it through the Marshall MA100 at considerable volume and she was very civilized. (no-one else at home at the time thankfully)

I'm totally pleased with the new pups. The cleaned up nicely when I pulled back the volume and dropped down the gain on the amp to about half. They are a little hotter than what I had on my '67 SG but overall, they work well for me.

cimg1168f.jpg

cimg1167y.jpg

Before:

cimg1122k.jpg

Paul

Archived