Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby and bow-tie/dogbone bridge on a non-wraparound Les Paul

MatteoLP

Hello guys!

I'm pretty sure this is the very first time that I post something here, since I'm usually on the Italian gibson section.

I'm willing to put a bigsby unit on my '95 les paul studio with gold hardware. You can have a look HERE (it's in italian, but there are some pics).

Right now it has the stock TOM bridge, which has to be replaced since the saddles intonation is gone and the gold plating is coming off.

I became interested in the so-called bow-tie or dog-bone bridge, which I know was manufactured by Bigsby and was put on some Gretsch guitars and also on '50 les pauls that originally had wraparound bridges.

HERE is how it looks on a vintage Les Paul TV which had a wraparound bridge.

Now as a guy in that topic tells, the dogbone bridge is different from the bowtie. The bowtie is symmetric, while the dogbone has that kind of "f" shape. The dog bone is no longer in production and vintage ones sell out for up to 300-400 bucks.

But the guy in THIS topic managed to put a bowtie (not the dogbone) on his R4 and he tells every detail concerning how to ground the strings.

The fact is that the two guitars I posted above originally had only the wraparound, and not the TOM bridge. My guitar has both the TOM and the stop tail.

Can i put the bow tie bridge (like the R9 guy) over the bridge holes (this is how it looks on the back)? And also I don't know if the bridge spacings are compatible..

Another problem is that I can't find a gold-plated version of that bridge.

Thank you all in advance! B)

sorry for my crappy english too [blush]

Your English is fine, well done.

About your project - you'll want to take some good measurements to make sure the spacing is compatible. Finding a gold one will be difficult. If you use the silver one, it looks like it could use some cleaning up.

I would rather have an intonable bridge.

To attach your Bigsby - are you going to drill holes or use a Vibramate (which will also hide the stop anchors)?

Also you can use a down tension bar to hide the stop anchors - http://townerusa.com/

Thank you BigKahune [smile]

I didn't know about that tension bar, bur surely i'm getting the vibramate, because i'm not good at drilling and that's a great and totally reversible mod.

About the bowtie bridge.. To me it's just a matter of personal taste, I like the way it looks, though I know there is no way to adjust the intonation.

i'd just like to try it, new ones sell out for about 40$, but there's only a nickel plated model. With gold hardware it wouldn't look that great, you know.. What if i have it gold plated by a friend of mine? Can that be done?

Instead if it doesn't match my measurements, then I'll go for a common ABR-1. That's my "plan"

This would be the great deal, unfortunately the seller ships only in the UK [sad] :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Gold-Bigsby-Sorkin-bow-tie-bridge-guitar-project-/290676415618?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43adaa1c82

.... i'd just like to try it, new ones sell out for about 40$, but there's only a nickel plated model. With gold hardware it wouldn't look that great, you know.. What if i have it gold plated by a friend of mine? Can that be done?

This would be the great deal, unfortunately the seller ships only in the UK [sad] ....

Plating it - depends on the metal alloy the bridge is made of.

Possibly (for a fee) you could locate a broker to handle the deal in the UK and ship it to you.

Of course you would want to be sure the post spacing was correct. OTOH, you could have the bridge anchors pulled, plug the holes with wood, and then install the bow-tie.

I wish you luck.

[...[ you could have the bridge anchors pulled, plug the holes with wood, and then install the bow-tie.

I wish you luck.

Oh well, that would go way over my basic knowledge and skills, and having it done by a luthier would be too expensive.

Let's see what to do! I'll keep you updated [smile]

Thanks a lot [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Mateo, there is no need for a Vibramate, and no need to drill holes. The string tension will ensure proper alignment when you first install the Bigsby tailpiece, and the strap button will anchor the bigsby very securely.

I have played my ES 137 Custom with Bigsby B-12 installed in this manner on many stages, with several bands across the USA, for 3 years now. I have never had any problems.

Of course, if you just want to get rid of a lot of money then you should certainly order your Vibramate as soon as possible.

Archived