Gibson Brands Forums

12-String Les Paul Junior

RobinTheHood

Its a Trans Blueburst LP Junior with what appears to be an FT-165 MIJ bolt-on neck. The seller doesnt actually say that this is a frankenstein guitar, but its pretty obvious. You can even tell that the neck is 25.5" scale because he had to move the bridge back a couple of inches. Kind of a neat idea. I wonder how it plays.

So, who is going to be the first to bid on it?? hmmmm?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a719496ab

Nice looking, except for those two holes in the body.

He doesn't even mention why they are there.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole........(sung like Billy G.)

Yeah, thats the only part I dont like about it. They are there because he had to convert it from a 24.75" scale to a 25.5" because of the longer neck. So not only is it a 12-string Junior, but its also a 25.5" scale now. If it was done properly, it should intonate and play just fine...albeit a little strange feeling for a Junior with that longer scale.

EDIT: I think this would be a good addition to Brian's LP Junior collection. [tongue]

That's actually pretty cool and easily worth $150. He took a neck from a 70's Matsumoku acoustic and attached it to a trans blue Jr. body, which if not pure genius is at least an excellent example of "adaptive reuse" as the say in the architectural trade.

However the devil's in the details, it all depends on how well the work was done, but still for $150 it's hard to quibble. If I wasn't in guitar shedding mode, I might consider it, but my LP Special is about to find a new home tomorrow, and I have 3 others that need to go to pay for that thinline Emperor.

[Edit] now that I look closer at that thing, it appears that the bridge is a 12-string tailpiece with no saddles.

That might be a tad difficult to intonate...

[Edit] now that I look closer at that thing, it appears that the bridge is a 12-string tailpiece with no saddles.

That might be a tad difficult to intonate...

Good point. A 12-string on a wraparound might not be so good. But there might be other options to replace it with if it was something that someone really liked. I thought the whole thing was a neat idea.

I don't think it's a wraparound - I think it's just a 12-string tail piece with the strings coming right out the front.

Those Juniors require a very low bridge or a neck shim, so that was probably the only solution the guy could make work without a custom bridge assembly.

I'll bet it's untunable past the 3rd fret.

It's a longer scale length neck so he had to move the bridge to compensate. What he didn't figure on was the low neck angle, hence the kludgey bridge. If he really knew what he was doing, he could have reset the neck pocket angle and installed a proper bridge and tail piece, but alas, it is now a hack job.

The trouble with using the acoustic neck is, apart from scale length, it has 14 frets to the body rather than the usual 16 on a Les Paul, hense the hokey bridge / tailpiece arrangement. As the new tailpiece is simply using the original stopbar mounts, it'd be something of a fluke if the intonation is anywhere near where it needs to be.

Great idea, and I admire the guy for trying it, but it definately would need an in hand examination before risking a bid.

As the new tailpiece is simply using the original stopbar mounts, it'd be something of a fluke if the intonation is anywhere near where it needs to be.

Epi Jrs. have 1-piece wraparound bridges, so the stopbar and it's mounts were the builder's mod/invention.

Archived