Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Gibson J-50

fwm5007

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out with an approximate value of a 1960 Gibson J-50. It is my great uncle's guitar and he is curious as to the value. I will attach a few pictures that I have of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

post-41737-045864500 1332028475_thumb.jpg

post-41737-046298200 1332028480_thumb.jpg

post-41737-079035000 1332028485_thumb.jpg

Hard to tell value these days as the market is still way down from where it was a few years back. Looks like your uncle's has the ADJ bridge which was still an option in 1960 (it did not become standard until 1961). If you were going to insure it, a 1960 J-50 should be worth between $2,500 and $2,800 in just average condition. Your uncle's though looks to be in better than average shape so, based on the Blue Book value, you are likely in the $3,000 to $3,500 range. The brown Lifton case will add at least $400 to the value (1960 was the last year Gibson supplied these).

How have you identified it as a 1960? The reason I ask is that you are starting to get into transition periods, when value can fluctuate significantly depending on the details of the individual guitar, as well as by the condition, of course.

How have you identified it as a 1960? The reason I ask is that you are starting to get into transition periods, when value can fluctuate significantly depending on the details of the individual guitar, as well as by the condition, of course.

I can't make it out but in the pics the FON on the neck block is clearly visible so dating the guitar should be easy.

I am only going on what my uncle has told me. He told me it is a 1960 Gibson J-50 with an adjustable bridge and a hard shell case.

I am only going on what my uncle has told me. He told me it is a 1960 Gibson J-50 with an adjustable bridge and a hard shell case.

As ZW points out, the factory order number is ink-stamped on the inside of the guitar, on the neck block. If you give us the numbers stamped there, we can pin down the year, which can have a significant impact on value. To allow us to help you even more, additional photos, including the back of the guitar, would be helpful.

As ZW points out, the factory order number is ink-stamped on the inside of the guitar, on the neck block. If you give us the numbers stamped there, we can pin down the year, which can have a significant impact on value. To allow us to help you even more, additional photos, including the back of the guitar, would be helpful.

The factory order number is R2743500. I do not have any pictures of the back of the guitar currently.I am going to get more pictures sometime this week though. Thanks for your help.

The R indicates that it is a 1960 ..... a very nice example I would say.Your uncle may have gem there .... depending on the neck set which is an issue to address when dealing with a 52 year old guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

The factory order number is R2743500. I do not have any pictures of the back of the guitar currently.I am going to get more pictures sometime this week though. Thanks for your help.

...no suprises that we haven't a peep from this one.

He Got what he wanted as is long gone!!

](*,)

tumbleweeds01.jpg

Archived