Gibson Brands Forums

The Epi G-400 Les Paul Custom

ESPJDR17

Well, my indecisive behavior struck again. AMS pushed the ship date back because Epiphone won't have the new G-400's on time so I cancelled it and ordered a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro in Ebony w/ gold hardware. :o It's sooo sexy. :D

AWESOME!!!!!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Can't wait to see it buddy.

Paul [biggrin]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWESOME!!!!!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Can't wait to see it buddy.

Paul [biggrin]

Yep, yep. I still want an sg definitely but the LP Custom had me at first sight. I've wanted one for years and am very excited. It shipped from their New Jersey warehouse yesterday and will be here tomorrow. I just checked FedEx tracking and it says it weighs 14lbs???? I wonder if it DOES come with a case?

Yep, yep. I still want an sg definitely but the LP Custom had me at first sight. I've wanted one for years and am very excited. It shipped from their New Jersey warehouse yesterday and will be here tomorrow. I just checked FedEx tracking and it says it weighs 14lbs???? I wonder if it DOES come with a case?

well since you got your glam fix with a LP custom, you can opt for a scaled back SG option for variety when you go for your SG fix. I recommend the worn mahogany brown, cheapest set-neck premium-pickup grover-equipped Epi there is that still has trap inlays. About the Best deal in the whole Epi catolog in fact, $300 new street and seconds on ebay for around $250. I have these in cherry mahogany as well as the brown and I like the brown better. I also have the cherry SG-400 in gloss, and I do prefer the cherry color in a gloss, and now kind of wonder how the brown mahogany would look in gloss. Those street for $350, and when you consider how much more Gibson charges for gloss over faded, one extra Grant for a gorgeous guitar with alot of the pop of a Gibson 61 reissue seems more than fair.

They have the G-400 in 1966 style now, too, adding "PRO" to the designation for some reason, as in G-400PRO.

These are Epiphones, some of the finest intermediate guitar values in the world, I love, collect and play the crap out of them. But they are not PRO, even though they are perfectly suited for pro work and allow working musicians to be able to afford a wide variety of guitars. You have to reserve that word for the levels of craftsmanship and materials above Epiphone, IMHO.

well since you got your glam fix with a LP custom, you can opt for a scaled back SG option for variety when you go for your SG fix. I recommend the worn mahogany brown, cheapest set-neck premium-pickup grover-equipped Epi there is that still has trap inlays. About the Best deal in the whole Epi catolog in fact, $300 new street and seconds on ebay for around $250. I have these in cherry mahogany as well as the brown and I like the brown better. I also have the cherry SG-400 in gloss, and I do prefer the cherry color in a gloss, and now kind of wonder how the brown mahogany would look in gloss. Those street for $350, and when you consider how much more Gibson charges for gloss over faded, one extra Grant for a gorgeous guitar with alot of the pop of a Gibson 61 reissue seems more than fair.

They have the G-400 in 1966 style now, too, adding "PRO" to the designation for some reason, as in G-400PRO.

These are Epiphones, some of the finest intermediate guitar values in the world, I love, collect and play the crap out of them. But they are not PRO, even though they are perfectly suited for pro work and allow working musicians to be able to afford a wide variety of guitars. You have to reserve that word for the levels of craftsmanship and materials above Epiphone, IMHO.

Haha, glam fix! Yeah, I might go for the SG in Silverburst some time in the near future. IDK why that new SG says "Pro" on it though, it's not like it has the pro appointments like the LP Customs (ProBucker pickups, coil splitting, etc.) ...So?? [confused] But I'm with you man, nothing wrong with collecting geets. [thumbup] This will be my first Epi. :unsure: I'm sure it will be a joy to own and play!

EpiLPCustomPro1.jpg

Ha! I just looked at the FedEx tracking and the guitar left Jersey yesterday, like I said, and it will be here (Pittsburgh) tomorrow. However right now it just arrived at Grove City (Columbus,OH) FedEx terminal! [scared][cursing][confused] That's 200 miles WEST of me! I guess those big companies make so much money that they can waste time, fuel, and resources like that. That's just funny!

Haha, glam fix! Yeah, I might go for the SG in Silverburst some time in the near future. IDK why that new SG says "Pro" on it though, it's not like it has the pro appointments like the LP Customs (ProBucker pickups, coil splitting, etc.) ...So?? [confused] But I'm with you man, nothing wrong with collecting geets. [thumbup] This will be my first Epi. :unsure: I'm sure it will be a joy to own and play!

EpiLPCustomPro1.jpg

hey JD.

I think the 'Pro' just refers to the use of Probucker pickups on the new Epi's.

Nice Custom dude. Loved this model ever since I saw a clip of Steve Miller playing one

'The Joker' way back in the 70's.

Will want a full review when she arrives and..... lots of good pics.

'Ya gonna luvit!!'

Here's another gratuitous pic of mine. :rolleyes:

cimg1165i.jpg

Cheers

Paul

hey JD.

I think the 'Pro' just refers to the use of Probucker pickups on the new Epi's.

Nice Custom dude. Loved this model ever since I saw a clip of Steve Miller playing one

'The Joker' way back in the 70's.

Will want a full review when she arrives and..... lots of good pics.

'Ya gonna luvit!!'

Here's another gratuitous pic of mine. :rolleyes:

cimg1165i.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Holy CRAP dude!! That's is freaking AWESOME!!! That is a GORGEOUS Black Beauty. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I lost my train of thought that is so sexy.... [drool] [drool] [drool] Oh yeah, I just looked at the weight on Sweetwater and it only weighs 9lbs 3oz so why does the FedEx package show 14 lbs? It wasn't supposed to come w/ a case but I don't think the box would weigh that much.

Holy CRAP dude!! That's is freaking AWESOME!!! That is a GORGEOUS Black Beauty. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I lost my train of thought that is so sexy.... [drool] [drool] [drool] Oh yeah, I just looked at the weight on Sweetwater and it only weighs 9lbs 3oz so why does the FedEx package show 14 lbs? It wasn't supposed to come w/ a case but I don't think the box would weigh that much.

Thanks mate. [laugh] I just updated all the p/ups on her to Gibby 57 Classics.

She's even better up close and the sound...... Awesome!! [thumbup]

14lbs is a little over but, it's better to be over than estimate under and get hit with a nasty charge after.

I just bought a Gibson LP Studio and it's coming via a courier. Eric, the guy I bought it

from, sent it with the weight recorded at 14kg's. Reckons it's better to mark it overweight

rather than under. Less fuss from the transporters. You've probably got the same type of issue with FedEx.

The Studio, BTW, is expected to arrive by Friday.

burst1p.jpg

Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on her. =P~

Cheers

Paul

Thanks mate. [laugh] I just updated all the p/ups on her to Gibby 57 Classics.

She's even better up close and the sound...... Awesome!! [thumbup]

14lbs is a little over but, it's better to be over than estimate under and get hit with a nasty charge after.

I just bought a Gibson LP Studio and it's coming via a courier. Eric, the guy I bought it

from, sent it with the weight recorded at 14kg's. Reckons it's better to mark it overweight

rather than under. Less fuss from the transporters. You've probably got the same type of issue with FedEx.

The Studio, BTW, is expected to arrive by Friday.

burst1p.jpg

Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on her. =P~

Cheers

Paul

Congrabs on the Gibby, Paul. Very cool! I'm playing the new Epi now, my fingers are turning black,lol. Is there something safe to clean the fretboard with to get the crap off? I have Fender fretboard lube by Meguires but I wanted to give it a good first cleaning. Maybe reveal some more cool grains & colors. It's the weirdest rosewood I've ever seen. Real light & splotchy, almost like maple & rosewood blended together.

Congrabs on the Gibby, Paul. Very cool! I'm playing the new Epi now, my fingers are turning black,lol. Is there something safe to clean the fretboard with to get the crap off? I have Fender fretboard lube by Meguires but I wanted to give it a good first cleaning. Maybe reveal some more cool grains & colors. It's the weirdest rosewood I've ever seen. Real light & splotchy, almost like maple & rosewood blended together.

I apply lemon oil on my fretboards. Try some of that and see if it's what you're

looking for. Should do the job.

'Black fingers" Yeah, we all get that mate. :rolleyes:

Ignore and just keep playing.

I can just imagine the grin on your face at the moment. Those Tuxedo LP's will

do that to ya everytime. 'Just love 'em.' [biggrin]

Paul

I apply lemon oil on my fretboards. Try some of that and see if it's what you're

looking for. Should do the job.

'Black fingers" Yeah, we all get that mate. :rolleyes:

Ignore and just keep playing.

I can just imagine the grin on your face at the moment. Those Tuxedo LP's will

do that to ya everytime. 'Just love 'em.' [biggrin]

Paul

I've heard that before, is it to preserve the wood? Just a cleaner or does it grease the board like that fast fret stuff?

I've heard that before, is it to preserve the wood? Just a cleaner or does it grease the board like that fast fret stuff?

I find that it just cleans and restores. I'm no expert when it comes to guitar timber

but, I suspect that it conditions the fretboard as well.

The oil is not expensive, and is readily available at any music shop so......

I'd stick with it. 'Works for me' [thumbup]

Paul

Okay people here she is, in all of her glory! I am speaking completly unbiased about Epiphone here because this is my first one and I've been a non-Epiphone player all my life (playing guitar since '89). I always thought they were junk and stayed away from them, boy was I wrong, this thing is a beast. Heavy, made well, sounds GREAT, looks GREAT, WOW!!!

IMG_20120412_181242.jpg

IMG_20120412_181300.jpg

IMG_20120412_181315.jpg

IMG_20120412_181441.jpg

IMG_20120412_181451.jpg

IMG_20120412_181515.jpg

IMG_20120412_205717.jpg

I am very impressed with Epiphone! [drool]

They have a customer for life! [thumbup]

HaHaHa!!! [woot] Congrats JD.

You sound like I did 'bout 8 years ago when I bought my BB3.

I can just picture that grin on your face. [biggrin]

I'm so pleased for you buddy. Glad you're wait was worth it and I know it's everything

you'd hoped for in a Les Paul Custom. [thumbup][thumbup]

HNGD

hngd21.jpg

Enjoy mate.

Paul

Some 2005-2007 model G-400 Customs made at the Saien Korea plant (Seial starts with an I)

have the problem necks. Mine was just that way.

First indication came when I did a string change.

I removed the old strings and when I put the new strings on they were laying on top of the frets when I finished.

When the strings had been removed the neck layed back completley

The guitar also had crappy hardware such as the old B-2 bridge. This bridge's saddles would move due to vibration while strumming.

I sat there playing it one day and noticed this happen. I had just had it set-up too. The gold grover tuners were a jinko knock-off and wouldn't hold tune for anything

(this was back then...something has obviously changed and Grovers are once again reliable).

After getting new parts and having the neck checked out the fuitar was eventually a favorite

but out of the box it was a dog.

I would not recommend a Korean Built G-400 Custom unless it was from Unsung(U).

The Qingdao built G-400 Customs do not have the neck troubles the Korean Built (Saien) ones did.

Beware of the G-400 Customs from I (I0602xxxx)

Some 2005-2007 model G-400 Customs made at the Saien Korea plant (Seial starts with an I)

have the problem necks. Mine was just that way.

First indication came when I did a string change.

I removed the old strings and when I put the new strings on they were laying on top of the frets when I finished.

When the strings had been removed the neck layed back completley

The guitar also had crappy hardware such as the old B-2 bridge. This bridge's saddles would move due to vibration while strumming.

I sat there playing it one day and noticed this happen. I had just had it set-up too. The gold grover tuners were a jinko knock-off and wouldn't hold tune for anything

(this was back then...something has obviously changed and Grovers are once again reliable).

After getting new parts and having the neck checked out the fuitar was eventually a favorite

but out of the box it was a dog.

I would not recommend a Korean Built G-400 Custom unless it was from Unsung(U).

The Qingdao built G-400 Customs do not have the neck troubles the Korean Built (Saien) ones did.

Beware of the G-400 Customs from I (I0602xxxx)

I have a Qingdao G-400 Custom and it's a dog, built in Oct 2007, easily the worst of my 60+ guitars, the neck might as well be made of rubber, it's useless. So I can't agree with your summary that Qingdao G-400 Customs don't have neck problems, mine certainly does, and in spades. I own several other SG's, a Gibson, Tokai and Burny, none of them have any problems with the neck flex issue.

I have a Qingdao G-400 Custom and it's a dog, built in Oct 2007, easily the worst of my 60+ guitars, the neck might as well be made of rubber, it's useless. So I can't agree with your summary that Qingdao G-400 Customs don't have neck problems, mine certainly does, and in spades. I own several other SG's, a Gibson, Tokai and Burny, none of them have any problems with the neck flex issue.

My SG Custom is one of the alpine white ones with a maestro. All the wood is rock hard, and heavy. No neck flex at all.

I have a black one and the neck flexes sooo much it's unplayable, my worse geet of my 60+ collection, it's a rare condition but it's out there, make sure you can check it out first.

I love my black SG - I get to pretend I'm Angus or Tony Iommi

Wanna swap.

Do you know what the production count was on mine? Can't have been very many. Maybe a few hundred. I've heard that there was 500 made of the red maestro SG's, and the milk-white Customs had to be less.

I've played or owned 6 of the Epi maestro SG's, and all were made from heavy, hard woods.

Do you know what the production count was on mine? Can't have been very many. Maybe a few hundred. I've heard that there was 500 made of the red maestro SG's, and the milk-white Customs had to be less.

I've played or owned 6 of the Epi maestro SG's, and all were made from heavy, hard woods.

Mine doesn't have a Maestro (dammit, I might consider fixing it if it did), it's a plain jane G-400 Custom, 3pup black & gold, oh, and said rubber neck.

Well, maybe I should have just spoken of the two post 2008 G-400's I bought.

Both from Qingdao

and everything about them was a 180 out of the box from the Saien built Custom.

Tight build, good pickups, good tuners and a 'new' Loc-Tone bridge that didn't rattle or detune itself while I played.

Damn, that's all I asked for and Epiphone delivered.

And yes I took all of the strings off at once when I changed them and there was absolutely no problems on the restring.

Neck was solid as a rock

A winner in my book.

But you have to be careful and choosey

and I am definitely both when buying any guitar now.

Lesson Learned.

Well, maybe I should have just spoken of the two post 2008 G-400's I bought.

Both from Qingdao

and everything about them was a 180 out of the box from the Saien built Custom.

Tight build, good pickups, good tuners and a 'new' Loc-Tone bridge that didn't rattle or detune itself while I played.

Damn, that's all I asked for and Epiphone delivered.

And yes I took all of the strings off at once when I changed them and there was absolutely no problems on the restring.

Neck was solid as a rock

A winner in my book.

But you have to be careful and choosey

and I am definitely both when buying any guitar now.

Lesson Learned.

So pretty much the test for my new Epi is to take all the strings off at once the first time I change them and see how the neck handles it? I'm still playing the factory strings right now. They sound real good for originals.

Archived