Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby B-7 on an SG?

nick merc

I've seen B-7's on Lespauls. Does anyone know if the Lespaul conversion kit will work on an SG. What kind of mods might I have to do?

Thanks

Doesn't Look like any serious mods are needed according to this pic.

you may want to consider a vibramate, this way you can install one without having to drill holes.

Get a few more posts under you and drop this in the lounge too, you are more likely to get a definitive answer there.

6026636394_f0cbef59f7_z.jpg

Doesn't Look like any serious mods are needed according to this pic.

you may want to consider a vibramate, this way you can install one without having to drill holes.

Get a few more posts under you and drop this in the lounge too, you are more likely to get a definitive answer there.

6026636394_f0cbef59f7_z.jpg

wow, that b7 is sweet. I've got a b5 on mine, and I agree, use a vibramate. it also covers the ugly holes left from the stop bar tail piece. I recommend getting a schaller roller bridge if using the bigsby. the tune-o-matic bridge is kind of terrible for the application. You'll see what I mean...

The B7 does look good on that SG. Is it screwed directly into the top? I was thinking of doing the Vibramate/B5 thing myself. I didn't see any Vibramate model that accepts a B7.

You can get the Vibramate for the B7 at WWW.STEWMAC.COM. it's called Vibramate V7-LP (it's for the American made B7).

Stewart-Macdonald is pretty badass for guitar parts and tools. I got the B5 (and Vibramate) as well as a few other aftermarket upgrades from the website. Highly recommend them.

The Vibramate kit comes with hardware that allow you to attach the Bigsby without having to screw into your guitar. If you decided to go back to stock, it doesn't hurt your finish. I have an SG Special Faded (not exactly top shelf) but it's pretty hot with all that polished metal bling!

post-41331-061341100 1332638664_thumb.jpg

The B7 looks killer, but I don't think it mounts correctly because the B7 is for carved tops and the SG is flat. I think you'd have a lot of gaps under it. Does not mean you cannot do it.

Vibramate gets a [thumbdn] [thumbdn] from me. It puts the bar in a funny place and it's the sissy way. We aren't talking about a $5k ES model. This is the work horse of Gibsons. Man up and mount that sucker! Do you keep the tags on your clothes? Do you shower with a bathing suit on?

l.jpg

A roller bridge helps too. It isn't in the photo, but I have a Schaller roller bridge on my Classic. If you want to go full on deluxe there is the Wilkinson Roller Bridge. Warning - the Wilkinson is not a direct drop in like the Schaller.

I just remembered the other big problem with a B7 on an SG: The strap button does not line up with hole and because the SG's body is so skinny. And you probably won't be able to screw down that tab. I would try it, though because when I googled SG Bigsby B7 a whole bunch of success stories with photos came up.

• 3 weeks later...

Functionally is there any difference between a B5 and a B7? I wouldn't think so, other than that they're both made for different body shapes/top contours. [confused]

Anyway, I always thought that the B7 on the SG looked cooler than the B5, but I've never done it because I was scared of screwing my SG up! Yeah, I know, mine cost under $1,000 (SG Special Faded,) but nonetheless, I don't wanna risk it.

You DON'T need to buy a Vibra-Mate OR drill any holes.

The strap button anchors the Bigsby tailpiece securely (just leave a wee bit of wiggle room before final fastening). String tension will align everything nicely (thanks wiggle room!) before final tightening of the strap button. I have played beaucoup shows across the country with this setup and I have had zero problems in 2 years. Best to y'all.

Hi All

Just reading this and wanted to comment as I know others who have successfully fitted B7's to their SGs. The Vibramate V7 kit does work and is a great idea to avoid any holes. The only slight issue you may come across depending on which SG model you have as the length of the B7 may be slightly too long on the some bodies as it appears the measurement from the centre of the tailpeice mounting posts to the bottom edge of the body can differ slightly. You can get around this however by removing the tailpiece hinge on the B7 and flipping the tailpiece over which brings it in by a few millimetres and then once you fit the V7 tail plate to it it should all fit nicely. The only slight issue is that the tailpiece will look duller in finish as it is not shiny on the back.

Have a look at this link where a guy on an SG forum I am a member of did this very modification and explains it well and with photos too. I also asked loads of questions about tuning issues etc. Bigsby B7 on an SG Standard

I read his post and fitted a B7 to my Les Paul Style GT but the V7 didn't work on that as the body was too carved. Had to directly fit it to the body in the end but it worked out well.

I was tempte to fit it to my SG but wanted a Maestro Vibrola for that instead.

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

• 4 weeks later...

wow, that b7 is sweet. I've got a b5 on mine, and I agree, use a vibramate. it also covers the ugly holes left from the stop bar tail piece. I recommend getting a schaller roller bridge if using the bigsby. the tune-o-matic bridge is kind of terrible for the application. You'll see what I mean...

That looks really good, what kind of covers do you have on those pups?

Archived