Gibson Brands Forums

London Guitar Shops

69tele

Hi guys going to London this weekend, any guitar shops worth going to aside from (the expensive ones) at denmark st, and surrounding areas ?

Last time I went to the DV247 at High Barnet, and also to Wembley Guitar Centre but wondering if anything else worth going to.

thanks !

Hi guys going to London this weekend, any guitar shops worth going to aside from (the expensive ones) at denmark st, and surrounding areas ?

Last time I went to the DV247 at High Barnet, and also to Wembley Guitar Centre but wondering if anything else worth going to.

thanks !

Peter Cooks Guitar World - Hanwell...

http://www.petercooksguitars.co.uk/catalog/

I usually go to DV247.. pretty decent by all counts they do pretty much everything and will price match :)..

In Denmark street this is one of my fave shops.. they have loads of oddments from the 50s-80s, just stuff you dont see elsewhere.. Last time I was in there they had a double bass which I had to try :)

http://www.wunjoguitars.com/

Enjoy.. nothing like spending a day looking at guitars (apart from walking away with one in your hand ;))

I'd second Rabs' nomination of 'Wunjo Guitars' in Denmark Street. Great gear, nice place, friendly staff and fair pricing.

In fact other than 'Vintage and Rare' - whose speciality, obviously, precludes much in the way of bargain-hunting - the prices in Denmark Street aren't too bad these days. All the new stuff has to compete pretty much with on-line dealerships and is priced accordingly. They are a bit more expensive but they do have London-sized 'rent and rates' to pay after all.

Furthermore AFAIK 'Macari's' is the only official Gibson dealer in London. Last time I was in they had just received stocks of the Midtown Custom. I didn't have time to try out the Richlite 'board last time but I'm heading in today and will definitely check it out this time.

Macari's has two shops - one (which opened last year) in Denmark Street itself and the original one around the corner in Charing Cross Road. Hendrix was a regular client here...

P.

EDIT : I was in town this afternoon and popped along to have a look along Denmark St. and Charing Cross Road. Loads of nice things (as expected) in Wunjo's - my favorite was an all original 1957 ES 225 TC for around £2k - and Macari's (both branches) had great stocks of Gibson and Epi guitars. From a snippet of conversation I overheard it might be that the latter has just had their dealership status upgraded. The number (and quality) of Les Pauls in the CRR branch window was quite astonishing.

As far as the Midtown Custom Richlite board goes; if I didn't know otherwise I'd have sworn it was Ebony. Perfectly finished, smooth as silk and jet black. It gets a massive [thumbup] from me.

P.

Archived