Gibson Brands Forums

New to Board..

dick's kid

Hello Everyone,

I lost my Dad, who played guitar like Chet Atkins. He was 79 when he died. He had 6 Guitars and a Banjo when he died. 3 of which I am trying to get prices for my home owners insurance. I would never sell them. The one is (we think) an Epiphone from 1948. He bought it when he was 16. (Born in 9-1932) It still has a great sound and was very loved. We were told NEVER to restore it, it would lose it's value. Then there is his 1970 Matsumoku, Cherry red, Made in Japan, 5102T, with a vibrato, made for one year. His pride and joy. It was one of the first ones. They made them from 1970-1975. I also bought him one after my mother died in 1999 with the number C5040171, made in 1995. The others he had we can't find numbers on them and are not concerned with prices. However, these three, we need to get some idea. Anyone like to give this one a go. I can't seem to get any answers to my emails, even for money? Thanks...

Trudy - ****'s Kid

Hi Trudy --- welcome here, and so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. Posting some photographs of the guitars would be very helpful, because serial numbers alone don't reveal specific models, and the condition of each guitar can significantly affect its value.

There are some very knowledgeable folks here that will be glad to give you their opinions on value, but we need a bit more to go on to give you the most useful information.

Dix kid, sorry to hear about your father. Losing mine was one of the darkest days in my life. But it'll get better and the good memories will win out. My suggestion would be to find a good luthier in your area and ask him what he would charge to appraise your guitars. Insurance companies will have a hard time disputing a written appraisal (saved my bacon more than once over the years). Every time I get a new guitar worth anything, I take it to my guy and have him look it over, then spend 10 minutes writing something up. You should be able to get a group rate, if you bring several. Pictures here would help some very knowledgable people give you some value estimates. Take care.

D.K., My condoleneces on the loss of your Dad. Having lost both of my parents, I too can relate to the emptiness that comes with such a void left afterwards.

Tweed2 gave you some great advice, and that is to have your guitars appraised in-person with a written description and value estimate of each. The good folks here will certainly help you identify what you may have along with value estimates as well if you're able to put up some photos of each guitar.

Good luck getting the info you need for insurance purposes, and I hope your Dad's instruments make you feel like he's a bit closer when you're near them.

I can't add anything to the values of you Dad's guitars, but I can extend my sincere condolences for your loss. My Dad has been gone for almost 30 years, and there are days I still miss him. My Mom is also gone now, and it truly makes you feel like an orphan.

Archived