Gibson Brands Forums

Video games

I go in spurts with games. Never reallly played as a kid, and never got serious enough to even consider PC gaming. A few years ago, after getting my PS3 (mainly for the media capabilities) I got into it more than ever before. I've since hit my saturation point, and don't play all that much anymore. Never got into role playing games or anything like that. Mostly just shooters, sports, racing, etc - though there are a few games outside of these genre that I really liked too.

Speaking of the PS3 and its media capabilities, I'm browsing this forum and responding to this thread from the PS3 browser and wireless keyboard. Also, as a test, I decided to see if I could attach a file from the hard disk to this message, and it appears that I can. Cool.

Photo is of my driving wheel/setup for Gran Turismo 5.

EDIT - It appears the file attachment did not work. It allowed me to browse the HDD, select a photo, and it even appeared in the response window, but does not show up when I submit the message to post....hmm. Oh well.

I didn't play games for years until my brother moved away and convinced me to buy an Xbox 360. I'm surprised at how good some of the games coming out really are now, like Red Dead Redemption which I enjoyed... same goes for the new Mortal Kombat game even though it keeps desynchronizing on my brother's end making online play awful. Recently I recently picked up the Arkham Asylum and Arkham City Batman games and played them through, sounds childish but they were awesome. [biggrin]

What I can't get over though is how good the players are online, in the arcades I could hold my own with the Mortal Kombat games especially Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3... 8 or 9 times out of 10 I'd come out on top. Online is another story, those guys handed my backside to me on a platter that many times it wasn't funny. [scared]

I didn't play games for years until my brother moved away and convinced me to buy an Xbox 360. I'm surprised at how good some of the games coming out really are now, like Red Dead Redemption which I enjoyed... same goes for the new Mortal Kombat game even though it keeps desynchronizing on my brother's end making online play awful. Recently I recently picked up the Arkham Asylum and Arkham City Batman games and played them through, sounds childish but they were awesome. [biggrin]

What I can't get over though is how good the players are online, in the arcades I could hold my own with the Mortal Kombat games especially Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3... 8 or 9 times out of 10 I'd come out on top. Online is another story, those guys handed my backside to me on a platter that many times it wasn't funny. [scared]

Nope nothing childish in that, Arkham Asylum was one of the best games made in th last ten years and Arkham City was the same but just much bigger.. Amazing games, like a cross between Metal Gear Solid and a beatem up with load sof great puzzle elements.. GREAT games (and lets face it these games are more aimed at adults than kids)

And yes I have to admit im the same. Even though I was a professional gamer the young kids out there totally WHOOOP my arse.. lol but that just getting old... haha

Tell me about it. I'm great at Street Fighter. Held the high score in my local arcade for Street Fighter 2 when I was around 7 years old. Super Street Fighter IV is one of my favourites at the moment, although with my PS3 being back in the UK and me being here in Japan, the only way I can play it is at one of the many arcades. 100 yen a shot = 77p. However, when I do go online on the PS3, I get my *** handed to me most of the time.

When I was younger, I hated RPG's. A few years ago, that all changed. Love them now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hardcore RPG player, but I bought "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" one time when I was unemployed and it just sucked the life out of me. Since then, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas (far better than F3) and TES V:Skyrim have taken up hundreds of hours in my life. Just now, I'm working my way through the classic Fallout 1 and 2 games while waiting for news (hopefully very soon) on Fallout 4.

But my other passion in life (aside from my lovely wife and music), is motor racing. Specifically, Formula One. But I'm daft for any kind of motorsport really. A game I cannot recommend enough is the seminal Grand Prix Legends. It is a brutal simulation so is not for the weak of heart. It is based around the 1967 Formula one world championship. Three time world champion Jackie Stewart once played the game and was asked what he thought(he was racing in F1 in 1967). His response was that it was spot on in the accuracy department. And this wasn't just some publicity talk. Contractual obligations meant he couldn't even appear in the game in the first place.

The core game itself is great. It features the Nurburgring Nordschleife (minus the barriers most would expect), the old, dangerous, Spa Francorchamps, Mosport, Monza etc. However, there are hundreds of tracks that have been made by the modding community. Highlights of which are the 72km targa florio circuit and the upcoming full length Isle of man mountain circuit(snaefell mountain) which is being made by an Aussie named Jim Pearson, who has spent 7 years working on this and has been to the circuit to take pictures. There are also the 1965, 1966, 1969, 1967 formula 2, 1967 world sportscar championship and thundercars mods, with more in the works.

Best of all, all these mods have been made with stunning attention to detail and are all free. I really cannot recommend this game enough.

Edit: Grand Prix Legends, is quite an old game, but there are numerous tools out there to ensure you get the best out of it, depending on the performance of your pc. The mod teams have kept it relevant too, ensuring that most modern day steering wheels and controllers are supported.

Archived