Gibson Brands Forums

1930's stenciled (sprayed) "Gibson" logo

JuanCarlosVejar

folks ,

does the gibson custom shop offer the stenciled gibson logo as an option for a guitar ?

I've seen really old 30's models with this syle of logo and almost all of them have not faded one bit !!

I'd like to have a guitar done with this option if possible !

img0019iy7.jpg

thanks

JC

Well, neither is quite right (ataylor's sample is closer to right). Here's my 1932 L-00:

2150288870033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

thank you John .

the first picture is one I found on a forum ( I think it's just a guy who drew the stencil and then cut it out)

the second one is from gotosmdos' actual J 35 by Ren.

so Yes yours would be the original .

JC

They're not stenciled, they're all silk-screened, even the original vintage guitars.

Correct. That said, using the term 'stencil' is still technically valid here as silkscreening is a stenciling process. Look it up. :)

Correct. That said, using the term 'stencil' is still technically valid here as silkscreening is a stenciling process. Look it up. :)

Yep. Silk screening involves putting a piece of silk between the stencil and the surface (headstock) on which you want the image (logo) to appear. I've interviewed folks who did this for Gibson during WWII.

folks ,

does the gibson custom shop offer the stenciled gibson logo as an option for a guitar ?

I've seen really old 30's models with this syle of logo and almost all of them have not faded one bit !!

I'd like to have a guitar done with this option if possible !

img0019iy7.jpg

thanks

Out of idle curiousity, did you ask the Gibson Custom Shop if they do this? Seems that would get you a more definitive answer.

I just found it surprising that Gibson's current version is not accurate.

I wouldn't be that surprised, John. I believe that my 2011 banner and scroll are a little different from your 1943 originals too. At least the angle of the Gibson logo is. I'm not sure they're silkscreened any longer. I believe they are a decal of some sort.

Archived