Gibson Brands Forums

ES 175 Questions

Nic

I'm searching for a jazz guitar and have a few questions about the ES 175.

Are the current models of equal quality as the older vintage models? Are there any years that I should steer away from?

I thought they were mahogany bodies with laminated maple tops but the current Gibson specs indicate they are laminated maple bodies and laminated maple tops, is this accurate and is this different than older models?

Am I correct in assuming that if I want to spend around $3,000 a ES 175 is a good option. Note that I don't want a really large guitar.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Speaking as an ex 175'er...

They are indeed fine jazz guitars...probably sold more than any other jazz guitar

Current production seems well up to standard...a modern day classic...

For me the ES 137 and, at a stretch, the ES 330 have much to offer the jazz player

Both more or less in slimline format and with wider usability if desired....

V

:-({|=

I thought they were mahogany bodies with laminated maple tops but the current Gibson specs indicate they are laminated maple bodies and laminated maple tops, is this accurate and is this different than older models?

I don't recall a mahogany bodied Es-175... if they are out there, they are rare.... The traditional ES-175 is maple body, maple top....

Makes a great guitar, but you get more for you money with a used Westerly Guild... X-170, X-175, X-500, or starfire make great jazz guitars...

I agree with the above except concerning the 137. The 137 has a heavy mahogany center block while the 175 is hollow and lightweight. I own both models.

I agree that the Guilds are a better bargain. An even better bargain can be found in the Ibanez Artcore line, and you should also play some Epiphone 175s and see if they are suitable to your hands and ears.

21st Century Gibsons do not have a good reputation among many guitar techs in L.A. FWIW. I commonly hear grumbling about build quality, particularly the dreaded "Gibson hump" at the neckjoint. My 137 Custom is a 2005 model and it has numerous sloppy finish flaws but performs fine to date (knock on wood). I recommend buying used Gibsons wherever possible in the quest for a Gibson whose previous owner worked out the build-quality bugs -- plus, new Gibsone are absurdly overpriced and notoriously iffy.

I only have experience with 1 1990s Gibson, my Les Paul, which had to be completely rewired after crapping out; that luthier also did not have kind words about Gibsons. My other Gibsons are from the 80s & 70s. Only my early 2000's ES 135 has been anywhere close to being as trouble-free, dependable, and rugged as my Yamaha.

Happy hunting!

A L4 is a jazzier 175 due to the maghony back and ebony fretboard. I owned the 175 and found it to be too bright (all maple body) even after putting D'addario Chromes (11) on them. Eventually, I purchased my belove L5 and never looked back. But I would not hessitate to buy the L4.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

The L-4's are great guitars and can be bought in the 3000.00-3500.00 range used and some times new. The L-4's were made similar to the ES 175 but with the carved spruce top. Both the ES 175 and the L-4 were made with the laminated maple bodies through 1985 when they switched to laminated mahogany through 1993. In 1994 they both switched back laminated maple which is the way the current ES 175 is made while the L-4 switched to solid carved mahogany back and sides in 1994. I have a 2009 L-4CES and it's a great guitar. I played quite a few ES 175 then tried a couple L-4's and never looked back. I also have several Guilds and they are also great guitars.

Thanks john

thanks for all the information. I'm a little surprised there is so much negativity about GIbson on the Gibson site. I think the 175 type is the right guitar but I think I will look at the Heritage 575.

thanks for all the information. I'm a little surprised there is so much negativity about GIbson on the Gibson site. I think the 175 type is the right guitar but I think I will look at the Heritage 575.

I should probably make clear that I think the ES-175 makes a great jazz guitar... If you have $2000-$2500 to spend, go for it !

It won't be a loss if you buy a used one and decide to sell it later on in life...

I just think the Guilds are pretty much equivalent in quality to the Gibsons at almost 1/2 the price...

Not negativity, just candid honesty. Gibsons are very expensive, yet not necessarily high-quality & dependable. I love each and every one of mine and I will *never* sell any of them, but I will readily admit that Gibsons are generally overrated to some degree.

I have never heard a bad word about Heritage.

Not negativity, just candid honesty. Gibsons are very expensive, yet not necessarily high-quality & dependable. I love each and every one of mine and I will *never* sell any of them, but I will readily admit that Gibsons are generally overrated to some degree.

I have never heard a bad word about Heritage.

Respectfully, I would submit that instead of "just candid honesty" what you are expressing is one...but only one candid opinion.

I don't recall a mahogany bodied Es-175... if they are out there, they are rare.... The traditional ES-175 is maple body, maple top....

Makes a great guitar, but you get more for you money with a used Westerly Guild... X-170, X-175, X-500, or starfire make great jazz guitars...

175's had mahogany back and sides from 1983 until 1990. I've seen a few on this forum. They went back to Maple after that. Here is a pic of an 88'.

My link

I bought an ES175 a month ago (or was it 2).

I play everyday on it. It is a top jazz guitar!

I hardly touch my other guitars. I play bluezy-jazzy-billy stuff on it, sounds all perfect. I mostely play without amp because I don't play in a band and it sounds very cool without amp.

With amp I had a little issue with feedback as soon as I tried it a little louder, but playing with the tuning of the amp did the trick.

PERFECT GUITAR FOR ME

The 175 is a fine jazz box. I'll add one thing to the discussion. Since the 175 is laminated, it is less feedback-prone than the L4 (carved top), which is in turn less feedback-prone than the L5 (all carved). The tradeoff is in richness of the sound (and the price of course).

Archived