Gibson Brands Forums

Problems with Ultra 339s

antwhi2001

Now, I'm not looking to make a nuisance of myself here. I am a disatisfied customer in the UK, having bought many Epis and Gibsons in the past.

I shelled out £599 ($950 to our American friends) for a new 339 Ultra without a case or even a gigbag. Most I've ever spent on an Epi, but the spec of the 339 Ultra looked good. It has the wiring fault that Gibson eventually acknowledged with a "sticky" on this forum. Several other posters have had this with 339s and LP Ultra 3s. All my dealers stock of 339s was affected. A couple of people posted complimentary comments on the sticky thread about how well Gibson Customer Service responded to them when this happened.

I am not so impressed. My dealer sent mine back to Gibsons' regional repair centre (Netherlands) 4 weeks ago. I still don't have a date for its' return, just a statement that they are "still waiting for pickups" for it. After 4 weeks?? How come their regional repair centre doesn't even have stock of pickups?

I could also mention the lack of a reply to my polite message about the fault sent via the Customer Service link on the Gibson website. Oh, and also the lack of a reply to my e-mail sent a week later.

Now, I was going to add this comment to the relevant sticky thread...but Admin have locked it. So you're allowed to see positive posts about their great Customer Service, but I assume other comments from the many customers affected are less welcome.

Let's see how long before this thread is disappeared...

Now, I'm not looking to make a nuisance of myself here. I am a disatisfied customer in the UK, having bought many Epis and Gibsons in the past.

I shelled out £599 ($950 to our American friends) for a new 339 Ultra without a case or even a gigbag. Most I've ever spent on an Epi, but the spec of the 339 Ultra looked good. It has the wiring fault that Gibson eventually acknowledged with a "sticky" on this forum. Several other posters have had this with 339s and LP Ultra 3s. All my dealers stock of 339s was affected. A couple of people posted complimentary comments on the sticky thread about how well Gibson Customer Service responded to them when this happened.

I am not so impressed. My dealer sent mine back to Gibsons' regional repair centre (Netherlands) 4 weeks ago. I still don't have a date for its' return, just a statement that they are "still waiting for pickups" for it. After 4 weeks?? How come their regional repair centre doesn't even have stock of pickups?

I could also mention the lack of a reply to my polite message about the fault sent via the Customer Service link on the Gibson website. Oh, and also the lack of a reply to my e-mail sent a week later.

Now, I was going to add this comment to the relevant sticky thread...but Admin have locked it. So you're allowed to see positive posts about their great Customer Service, but I assume other comments from the many customers affected are less welcome.

Let's see how long before this thread is disappeared...

Hello, I will be in touch with you shortly via PM or email to discuss the issue with your Ultra 339. I apologize for the lack of response to your emails, our "talk to us" form was recently not working properly and we may have not received your original message. Thank you for the post.

I own a 2008 Epi Ultra 2. It worked well for 3 years, although it probably only has a maximum of 40 hours plugged in, and just recently the Nanomag quit working.

I also sent 2 or 3 emails to Gibson about this, and got no response.

I am now told that I have to pay for shipping this guitar right across Canada to have it repaired, as repairs can not be completed here, by the Gibson authorized stores.

I paid over 800 dollars for this guitar in November of 2008.

I know the 1 year Warranty period is long over, and I do not want free repairs. It just seems as though these guitars are becoming a bit of an albatross.

How do I go about returning my Ultra-339 for repairs? I have purchased three so far and the one I have now is the best one, but the 4, 5, and 6 strings rattle really bad regardless of Nanomag or Humbuckers. It has been set up and has new strings and a bone nut, so those issues are eliminated.

Based on feedback from others having similar problems, it sould like there are some components and/or wiring issues.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Michael

Finally got mine back, took 6 weeks. After I posted this thread Gibson customer service finally contacted me; the guitar was at a workshop less than 100 miles away, but awaiting a pickup which was being shipped via the Netherlands.

Although there was no paperwork indicating what work had been done, it looks as if I got a new neck pickup and selector switch. All now works ok. The neck pickup has a lot of bass, more than any other neck humbucker I've had. I have a gig this weekend so I'll see how it behaves at volume.

Has anyone with a humbucker+nano Epi used the Fender Acoustasonic 100 or 150 combos? I just bought a 150. You get 2 channels, one designed for acoustic, and one general purpose. Solid state, with a few fairly good digital fx. With these guitars you can get a great range of acoustic tones through the first channel, and plug the humbucker output into the other. The electric tone isn't vintage tube amp quality, but I use my Boss multi-fx on that line anyway, and can use the digital amp models in the pre-amp section. That gets me pretty close. It's 2x 75 watts output and weighs just over 20lbs; lighter than some practice amps! If you want an easily transported simple set up that covers all the classic rock bases, all you need is Epi Ultra + Boss ME70 + Fender Acoustasonic.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine's just back, after the obligatory 6 weeks. Nothing has been done to it. There's no record of work carried out (as per previous posts) and it sounds 100% as it did when I sent it in for recall, just plain wrong. I've been playing for 20 years and I know what out of phase pickups sound like!!

Haven't taken it up with the shop yet, that's for tomorrow when I've cooled off, but I'm right now I'm totally unimpressed.

As I said in my previous post, I have shipped my Ultra 2 from western Canada to Toronto. I am told that is about 40 dollars each way.

That was in the 1st week of April.

They contacted me this past week to tell me that the Nanomag pickup was shot, and that they would replace it for 40 dollars, which is a really good price, in my opinion.

They also told me that they would ship it back next week, to have it back here the following week.

So the total time would be about 6 - 7 weeks. And a price of 40 for repair, and another 80 for shipping.

Archived