Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird

CapM

Been GASing for a Hummy for a while. My go-to guitar right now is a Martin D-16.

It seems that almost all Hummingbirds are mahogany. However, Sweetwater has a limited edition that looks like it has maple back and sides: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSHBVCNH/

It seems odd because it's called "vintage," yet I looked on Blue Book and it looks like the old Hummy's were mahogany. Can anybody shed any light on the situation? If I spend $3K for a guitar, I don't want an inferior one. Thanks for your help!

I guess I shouldn't have said inferior. I meant standard, as in the original vintage woods they used. So I think I want the mahogany one. What's really getting me interested is the 18 months interest-free financing offered by Gibson now. My wife would notice a $3,000 transition, but I could sneak $125/month without my wife knowing. :)

I would go looking for hog Birds and maple Doves to get into the fundamentalism of the G-world . Then of course never neglect the possibility to try out the interesting crossovers.

Which btw. can only be rightfully judged on the basis of knowledge 'bout the standards/classics.

I would go looking for hog Birds and maple Doves to get into the fundamentalism of the G-world . Then of course never neglect the possibility to try out the interesting crossovers.

Which btw. can only be rightfully judged on the basis of knowledge 'bout the standards/classics.

Well said. I agree 100%.

Love the cherry red burst on the Hummys.

Me too! Would look great next to my cherry burst LP...

Archived