Gibson Brands Forums

strap sitting?

blindboygrunt

been watching various videos on youtube and noticed that some guys use a strap even when sitting . i am guessing that its just to keep it out of the way , but even while switching guitars at an entire sit down show they put them on.. why not remove the straps before the gig ?

anyone know something i don't about all this?

I do it because even whem Im sitting on some tracks I like to stand up. Especially when playing some funky stuff with rapid 16 note strumming, its better and more fun standing. So I do both. There you go, there's one reason .. ;-)

Also when sitting/playing on a stool, you can lean back a little and stretch out a leg and the guitar is hanging just right. I guess that it adds some flexibility of movement? I don,t have straps on any of my acoustics at the moment, but tend to keep them on my electrics all the time.

An advantage with the strap is a good neck angle. It's a comfortable playing pick & fretting hands, easy on the shoulder, and works for sitting or standing (your hands are always in the same position). Planet Waves makes a strap with a clip that goes around the headstock like this. To get the full advantage, sit upright. EHawkins-Takoma-10.jpg

I can't use a strap on an acoustic, maybe if it was located around where the neck meets the body but not hooked onto the headstock... I find I pull it out of tune sometimes like that.

i dont see how it would pull it out of tune?

i've used those little planet waves quick release thingys and also a leather bootlace , never a problem

you do put it UNDER the strings ?

i dont see how it would pull it out of tune?

i've used those little planet waves quick release thingys and also a leather bootlace , never a problem

you do put it UNDER the strings ?

Yes I put it under the strings, but I have a bad habit of pushing down on the neck with my fretting hand while standing up.. but only with my acoustic. I tried to correct it but where I have no need to use a strap anyway I just go without one.

Yes I put it under the strings, but I have a bad habit of pushing down on the neck with my fretting hand while standing up.. but only with my acoustic. I tried to correct it but where I have no need to use a strap anyway I just go without one.

The headstock strap will pull your neck up at the wrong angle in a few years (that is IF you stand ) warping the neck into s twist. I've had to remove the finger board on an older guitar (not gibson) plane the neck and replace the finger board. Lots of work, but a fun project.

Archived