Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page's Gibson J-200

Zosofancmr

There's not much more story to tell,

Another fine memory there.

Not much story to tell,, , , well, say that to an archeologist and you'll get a book. You know how they'll make a world out of a single chickens bone.

I surely would have liked a good chat with Mr. Leitch. Nothing too serious (just a smaller troubadours exchange about the 50's beat turning to 60's revolt and how that influenced every corner of the 70'ties, that would be all).

And talking about chickens, see the Midem-meeting as a feather in the hat - a colorful one. Guess you do Jinder.

Anyway – I don't think it was Hurdy Gurdy Man that featured the 200. It was a bit earlier, but I can't yet find out. Think I read it in some cover-notes, but don't recall exactly where.

Gotta dive again - Have patience. . .

I surely would have liked a good chat with Mr. Leitch. Nothing too serious (just a smaller troubadours exchange about the 50's beat turning to 60's revolt and how that influenced every corner of the 70'ties, that would be all).

Now that would not be a five-minute conversation!

• 2 weeks later...

Are you there Jinder -

There's not much more story to tell, unfortunately...I was recording a song called 'In A Heartbeat' during my time with Sony BMG, and the label didn't like the recording of the song that I'd put down in my regular studio, so sent me and my full operation (producer, band, the lot) to RAK to spend a few days re-recording it there.

I was doing some guitar tracking using my Hummingbird, but it wasn't gelling right with the rhythm part which was cut with a Martin D16RGT. We needed something bigger and brighter, so I pulled out my SJ200 but found it still wasn't quite right.

It was at that point that one of Mickie's daughters, who was around during the session, brought out the legendary J200 and handed it to me...I was aware of the guitar's history but I heard several more stories as the night wore on, and was so privileged and lucky to be able to spend some time with a real piece of rock'n'roll history.

After I'd finished tracking with it, I disappeared to the lounge/tea room and spent a few hours with the guitar whilst the engineer and my producer put some rough mixes together. I wrote a song, 'Memphis To Minnesota' with the J200 and was bewitched by it. It had lost its scratchplate at some point but was a beautiful golden honeyed colour and had the tone to match...one of the best sounding acoustics I have ever played.

Eminor7, of course RAK was a long-time hangout for Donovan, but I couldn't say which song/songs of his were cut with MMs J200. I can say, though, that the dry, warm and honky acoustic tone on 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' is very similar to that of the J200 from RAK...could it be...?

I spent some time with Donovan in 2009 when I was playing at the Midem festival in Cannes. We were sharing a bill, and hung out together for some time before I went on-what a lovely, warm and completely unpretentious guy he is. Plenty of time to chat and ask about my life and work, despite him being a legend and me being absolutely nobody in particular. His performance (solo, acoustic plugged into a Roland Jazz Chorus 120!) was incendiary too, he played with a gentle variation on the kind of fire and conviction usually reserved for teenagers in rock bands.

After 2 severe Sherlocks, I finally found out on which tunes Donovan played Mickey Mosts talked about 1960's J-200. In the cover-notes for the Mellow Yellow album it's said that Donovan remembers recording Sand and Foam and Young Girl Blues on the Jumbo. I actually just listened to the 2 tracks and especially on Sand and Foam one hears it's not the J-45. It's simply bigger voiced.

Now that album was recorded in the later half of '66 (while waiting to get the record-company-frozen Sunshine Superman released), which means the 200 must be a lighter braced model. That should explain the quality you had in your hands Jinder. It sounds good on the old takes and probably didn't get worse over the years.

The 2 songs by the way are splendid. My fav. might be # 1, but why not post the lyrics to the - for the teenage chicks of the times - slightly daring #2.

Young Girl Blues

It's Saturday night it feels like a Sunday in some ways

If you had any sense you'd maybe go away for a few days

Be that as it may you can't only say you are lonely

You are but a young girl and you're working your way through the phoneys

Coffee on all the milk's gone

Such a sad light and fading

Yourself you touch

but not too much

You've heard it's degrading

High heels all those car wheels

All the losers are groovin'

Your dreams such a strange scene

Images are moving

You put the coffee on and all the milk's gone

Such a sad light and fading

Yourself you touch

but not too much

Certain people tell you it's degrading

It's Saturday night it feels like a Sunday in some ways

If you had any sense you would maybe go away for a few days

Be that as it may you can't only say you're lonely

You are but a young girl and you're working your way

Through the phoneys

Love Donovan! Jimmy recently played a show with him, I soooo wish I could have been there for that!

I was there - the roof got blown off the Albert Hall when Jimmy went on and straight into Sunshine Superman.

The sound of the ground source itself - BabaBarabajagal.jpg

On of the bigger moments in my old beat book.

The pic is from the low-furniture Oriental inspired section. The original sitar player was there - Shawn Phillips. One of the first in western music.

• 5 years later...

Now that IS something worth boasting about Jinder, what an experience. I would be happy to pay some reasonable money for a few minutes with that guitar.

What, this old thing?

Hi, I'm Neil and Mickie Most was my father-in-law. I also happen to be a guitarist and I'm friends with Simon Johnson, with whom you would probably have been recording back then. The daughter you met would have been Nathalie, my (now) missus. I never had the chance to meet Mickie as he died in 2003, but there are countless stories!

I'm not sure where the Big Jim Sullivan guitar comes in to the story, but Page himself says it was Mickie's J200 on the first two records. Perhaps Big Jim's was used live. Makes sense, as there are some on-stage photos of Page with a sunburst J200 and Mickie definitely wouldn't have let him tour with his!

Page seems to think the Mickie's J200 and '59 maple neck strat were stolen at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mickie just said that to avoid lending it out again; we still have both guitars, so it's definitely not true! I didn't know about the Stairway to Heaven overdubs and haven't been able to find any info about that online. Did you get that from Mickie or is there any more reliable source you could point me to? I mean if it was my guitar and Page had played it, I'd say it was on Stairway too! Haha.

post-88470-029416000 1509635119_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm Neil and Mickie Most was my father-in-law.

I never had the chance to meet Mickie as he died in 2003, but there are countless stories!

Helo - Most was involved in some magical things back in the golden age.

You should share some tales - 'bout the Donovan-sessions fx.

Welcome

Helo - Most was involved in some magical things back in the golden age.

You should share some tales - 'bout the Donovan-sessions fx.

Welcome

Obviously I wasn't there at the time, but his wife Chrissy has stories for days. Anything in particular you'd like to know? I could ask Chrissy or perhaps Mickie's arranger at the time John Cameron.

Obviously I wasn't there at the time, but his wife Chrissy has stories for days. Anything in particular you'd like to know? I could ask Chrissy or perhaps Mickie's arranger at the time John Cameron.

Not sure it would make sense to ask about specific details, but if any anecdotes stands out from the period it would be a treat to hear them.

'Bout recordings, the guitars, the shows, the obstacles, the flows and inspiration, the return from India etc. .

Been a Dono-fan all my life - long before knowing there was a Most in the picture - and find his contribution spectacular.

Still play him a lot. Songs like Isle of Islay, Lanena, Lullaby of Spring, Little Tin-soldier and even Catch the Wind or Colours never wear out.

J. Cameron was excellent as well - not least the trio there really made certain things levitate.

J.C. btw. was the maestro at the Albert Hall-concert seen in the pic above. Good to know he's still around.

What, this old thing?

Hi, I'm Neil and Mickie Most was my father-in-law. I also happen to be a guitarist and I'm friends with Simon Johnson, with whom you would probably have been recording back then. The daughter you met would have been Nathalie, my (now) missus. I never had the chance to meet Mickie as he died in 2003, but there are countless stories!

I'm not sure where the Big Jim Sullivan guitar comes in to the story, but Page himself says it was Mickie's J200 on the first two records. Perhaps Big Jim's was used live. Makes sense, as there are some on-stage photos of Page with a sunburst J200 and Mickie definitely wouldn't have let him tour with his!

Page seems to think the Mickie's J200 and '59 maple neck strat were stolen at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mickie just said that to avoid lending it out again; we still have both guitars, so it's definitely not true! I didn't know about the Stairway to Heaven overdubs and haven't been able to find any info about that online. Did you get that from Mickie or is there any more reliable source you could point me to? I mean if it was my guitar and Page had played it, I'd say it was on Stairway too! Haha.

Hi Neil! Haha yes indeed, that old thing/machine of wonderment...yes indeed, Si Johnson was 1/3 of the band I was in at the time, The Mercurymen. I remember Nathalie very well, please say hello from me! She came along to several of the Mercurymen shows.

Very interesting to hear that Mickie’s 200 was on the first couple of Zep albums. A couple of the engineers on the day/night we were recording had many and various tales to tell about the guitar. I forget their names, but it was Nathalie I believe who suggested using MM’s J200. Sadly Mickie himself had passed away prior to the recording, and whilst he was very much a mentor to Simon and Gavin Wyatt (the third member of our trio), I didn’t get to work with Mickie himself due to the unfortunate timing of his passing. The title of the song we were recording at RAK, ‘In A Heartbeat’, was suggested to Simon and Gavin by Mickie some years before we wrote it, so there’s a link there too.

The recording slipped through our net into the hands of Sony, sadly, and hasn’t been seen since. I’d love to hear it again!

Do give my love and salutations to Nathalie and all at RAK, and if you see Si, tell him I wish him nothing but vile pestilence and oatcakes!

• 3 years later...