Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Ditchin' The Wah!

kaleb

It is absolutely impossible for a wah made after 1970 to sound "just like Jimi" for starters he used almost exclusively a "VOX Clyde McCoy" model that was only made for 1966-67 and now can't be had for less than $1,000 unless it has had a lot of mods done to it.After Dunlop took over the production of the Crybabys from Jen they changed the layout and consequently the tone and performance of the pedals drastically.I have a late 60s Jen Made in Italy wah and the difference between that and wahs made since is unmistakeable and drastic.My Vox Clyde McCoy has the real "just like Jimi" tone and the only wahs made today that come either bit close are the Reese RMC Picture Wah for about $250 and the Fulltone Clyde around $300 or you can shell out the One Grand for the "Real McCoy".So unless you have a 60s Italian made Cry Baby,you won't get close to the tone.BTW they are cheaper than the Clyde these days and you can get an original with the original pot and Fasel conductor for only $6-700.

PS-The Clyde McCoy Jimi used at the '69 Fillmore New Year's Eve concert with The Band Of Gypsys,was very heavily modded by Roger Mayer and he is still doing these mods to original Clydes at his factory in England-for a nominal price of course.

I have a late '70s cry baby and a late '70s morley but I seldom use either. The other guitarist in our band uses his for a couple of songs. I don't keep either on my pedal board.

However, if I was going to play "no quarter, voodoo chile," or some REO Speedwagon songs I would use my wah.

I have an "Original" Crybaby from the 80's (it could be from the late 70's, but I bought it in the 80's), and a Crybaby 535Q that's just a few years old. I use the 535 because it pugs right into my gator Bus-8, but the sweep and tone of the Original are so nicer.

I only use them for maybe two songs in the course of 4 hours, but it's still an indispensable tool. Never know when you might need to Spank a little Funk!

@ First Measure: The "original" Cry Babys were made by Tom Jennings' own Jen Electtronica SpA. in Pascaro Italy in the late 60s and as far as I know it was only these models that contained the desireable red fasel conductors that gave those and the "original" Vox Clyde McCoy the unique pronounced "vomit" sound that they refer to in the old pedals.I have looked for years for a pot that had the same taper and performance of the original Clyde pot and finally found the right one at North Star Audio in Honolulu,Haiwaii http://www.northstaraudio.net or email tomlanik@earthlink.net/ The Dungflop pots that they sell to replace the old style pots just don't cut it at all.

You need the wah for songs such as ..

Smoke on the wah-ter.

Bridge over troubled wah-ter.

The wah-nderer.

Black Wah-ter.

Cabo Wahbo

WahWahZ

Trouble Wahkin'

Wahxy Lady

I could name many, many more but I won't........Wahking On The Moon, Wahk All Over You..I better stop......

Oh, Message In a Wahtle

Archived