Gibson Brands Forums

Help me choose

J-45Girl

I have a bit of a dilemma, I have a credit in a shop not within easy travelling distance from me. They will not refund my money, I need to spend it in the shop. The only guitars they sell (but are not currently in stock) that interest me are the standard J45 and the J45 True Vintage. I have played quite a few J45's and TV models over the last few years and loved some, but not all. I have found the J45 TV's to be more consistently good than the standard J45, but a few of the J45's have blown me away. In general I probably prefer the tone of the True Vintage model.

I would need to stump up some extra money, about $500 US for the standard J45 and $975 for the J45 TV. Both guitars would need to be ordered in. I think once I get the guitar that will be it, they would not order in the standard J45, and let me exchange it for the TV model if I wasn't happy with it.

Would any of you feel comfortable ordering one of these guitars knowing that you would not be able to return it if you didn't like it? This shop is not the best to deal with, they are already upset with me for returning the original guitar that they have given me store credit for.

If it were me, I would choose the TV over the standard if buying sight unseen, for all the reasons you note. However, you should read some of the recent threads here concerning changes in construction details that Gibson has made across the product line, such as the use of laminated bridges and laminated fretboards, even on the TV series. These changes may or may not have any impact on sound, but they may (or may not) have longer-term impact on instrument value.

Good luck with this one. J-45's are great guitars, but as you have already discovered, they can vary significantly from each other in tonal character. Playability can generally be made equivalent with a good setup, but tone is tone, and is subject to its own variations, often without rhyme or reason. For that reason, it is best to play before you buy when it is practical to do so.

This must be a Gibson dealer to be able to order. Perhaps they would order two of the same model, let you choose from the pair, and put the other in their stock......unless they have one of the model in stock already that you have rejected. Can't hurt to ask, huh?

I wouldn't buy any guitar without the ability to play it first. Are they a Gibson dealer? Why wouldn't a Gibson dealer have these in stock, and if they are not a dealer then how could they order one for you? That's a bit confusing.

They are a Gibson dealer, along with Martin and Taylor. they do not have many higher end guitars in stock. I think things work differently here in the UK as far as stores go. Some will only special order a guitar if you are committed to buying it.

There are other stores here with bigger and better stock where I could go and play the guitars first, unfortunately my store credit is not with one of them.

Hey J45 Girl,

I was in a similar situation as you a few months back, well I ordered a guitar off the net, the company had a good returns policy but even though it was at the different end of the country from me, I promised myself that if it wasn;t right then I'd personally take it back and leave with something in store.

From your post it seems like you may not have this option, as buck says I would call them and see how many, if any, guitars, they will be willing to send to the shop. Then even though it may be difficult I'd do a road trip to the shop.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have decided I really want to play any Gibson I am going to buy, so am going to do the sensible but boring thing of saving up the cash, going down south to the shop that has a whole bunch in stock all the time and pick the one that sounds best to me.

I'm going to spend my credit at the store on a PA system, and hopefully any gigging revenue can go towards the new Gibson.

If it were me, I would choose the TV over the standard if buying sight unseen, for all the reasons you note. However, you should read some of the recent threads here concerning changes in construction details that Gibson has made across the product line, such as the use of laminated bridges and laminated fretboards, even on the TV series. These changes may or may not have any impact on sound, but they may (or may not) have longer-term impact on instrument value.

Good luck with this one. J-45's are great guitars, but as you have already discovered, they can vary significantly from each other in tonal character. Playability can generally be made equivalent with a good setup, but tone is tone, and is subject to its own variations, often without rhyme or reason. For that reason, it is best to play before you buy when it is practical to do so.

Gibson is going to re introduce compromises like laminated woods on expensive guitars again..??

Maybe this is why Ren Ferguson has left.

I have noticed recent J200's with very unfigured.."figured maple" Backs & Sides.

As it is, the Maple they use is not the prefered species of maple for tonewood..it is slabsawn, not quartersawn..and now its not even figured..?

How much compromising do they need to do on a Retail $5K/Selling $3K guitar?

If this is true it really was a great but short(1989-2011)run.

Genius logic. Marry me.

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have a decent vintage selection.

[smile] I hope so, though I don't know if £2100 will buy a vintage J45 over here. I certainly will look long and hard before parting with my money.

Hey,

I don't know where abouts down south you're going but if you end up near this place GuitarVillage then stop in cause they got a lot of new and pre owned guitars.

Coda in Stevenage was where I went before, they had a great selection of every model Gibson I wanted to play. I've not been to GuitarVillage before but have bought online from them, they are pretty far south from where I am but I have heard excellent things about them. If they had anything vintage I would make the trip.

Coda in Stevenage was where I went before, they had a great selection of every model Gibson I wanted to play. I've not been to GuitarVillage before but have bought online from them, they are pretty far south from where I am but I have heard excellent things about them. If they had anything vintage I would make the trip.

Hey,

If you click on the link i posted for you, and scroll down to the bottom there are over 20 vintage Gibson's :) or click this My link

Archived