Gibson Brands Forums

ES-350T

Cyberrock

Hi!

I recently got an ES-350T and considering what a great guitar this is I'm amazed there's so little buzz about it.

I discovered it almost by accident through a custom made version for Jimmy Page used in the movie "it might get loud", and I later heard Keith Richards rave about his vintage one... I really recommend everyone considering a hollow body electric to try one!

Mine is a 94 and got the longer scale neck which I prefer, the older is often short scale.

What's your experience of ES-350?

And how do you feel it compare to other hollow and semi-hollow Gibson models?

Hi!

I recently got an ES-350T and considering what a great guitar this is I'm amazed there's so little buzz about it.

I discovered it almost by accident through a custom made version for Jimmy Page used in the movie "it might get loud", and I later heard Keith Richards rave about his vintage one... I really recommend everyone considering a hollow body electric to try one!

Mine is a 94 and got the longer scale neck which I prefer, the older is often short scale.

I've had two ES-350's, but never owned a 350T (probably because they used to have such a narrow neck width).

What is the width of the nut on yours? How about some photos?

Hi,

I,ve got 2 ES350T guitars. One blonde and one sunburst. Both are from 1998 and have the 25 1/2 inch scale. I hesitate to sing their praises cos everybody will want one!!!! They are fabulous and definitely one of Gibsons finest hours!!!

Some weeks ago I posted pics of them on the Gibson Forum but could not send a decent size pic...the site just wouldn,t take my input.

If you like I could send you the pics via email...perhaps you could post them full size so everyone can enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

ES-350t is definitely one of the 'cool' guitars and a great idea.

I think one of the reasons for lack of interest is not many are aware of them. And those that are usually don't seek them out, or find other guitars when they are looking.

If there aren't a lot of them around, it is not likely to be able to generate a 'buzz'.

Another factor that I think plays into it is nearly all of the vintage ones have thin necks and the byrdland type 'student' scale. Chances of finding one with a something like a standard scale, OR when one does pop up, that most players would want to use it are real slim.

But the 90's ones, you are absolutely right. It has playability as good as a LP, fits standing up as good as a regular electric, while having a lot of the sound and looks of an archtop. That covers a lot of territory and a lot of situations, but at the same time, doesn't compromise. It actually goes over the top.

I have no direct experience with the 350T (a beautiful guitar), but if given only one thin hollowbody option, I'd opt for a 330 due to the enhanced fretboard access (and with the 330L, you have 19 frets clear of the body). It's a critical issue for me, and is reflected in the fact that only one of my electric guitars has less than 16 frets clear of the body.

I had an ES-350 built for me as a one off by the Custom Shop with a single P-90 in the neck position in faded cherry around 10 years ago or so. Gorgeous looking AND playing guitar. Very sad that Gibson will NOT build one offs anymore for somebody unless you unleash an absolutely obscene amount of money for it especially in today's economy!?......... jim in Maine

I had a look around at these 350Ts, nice! but for the life of me can't see the different between a 350 and a 330!

The 350 is a bigger guitar....

Depth about 2x the 330

Width 17" vs 16"

Single cutaway vs double cutaway.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

The 350 is a bigger guitar....

Depth about 2x the 330

Width 17" vs 16"

Single cutaway vs double cutaway

The 350T (thin body) version would more directly compare to the 330. But even then, the fretboard access is a major difference. The 350 neck joins the body at the 14th fret. The 330 neck joins the body at either the 16th or 19th fret, and with the above noted double cutaway vs the 350's single cutaway.

Note to everyone... the ES350 and the 350T are/were two different guitars. If you want to avoid confusing people who understand the difference, don't refer to a 350T as a "350". Even though 350's have been out of production for a long time, they still exist, so there's still potential for confusion.

Thankyou folks...!!

I didn't bother to note the 'T' suffix

So...as usual, everybody is right...and a very fine guitar to boot...

I just saw a webby item about Eric Clapton's 350 T with some tour/album provenance

Sold at auction in '04 for $65,000....

V

:-({|=

I had an ES-350 built for me as a one off by the Custom Shop with a single P-90 in the neck position in faded cherry around 10 years ago or so. Gorgeous looking AND playing guitar. Very sad that Gibson will NOT build one offs anymore for somebody unless you unleash an absolutely obscene amount of money for it especially in today's economy!?......... jim in Maine

Jim, it sure would be nice to see some photos. [cool] Combining a red finish with a single pickup is old school cool (right out of the golden era of the late 50's / early 60's).

Will do. What was interesting at the time was that I was able to get really friendly with the fellow in the Custom Shop who is no longer there who really CARED about Gibson AND really took his time making the guitar look really nice. When the paint fellows were doing their thing they would send me jpegs asking me 'how does it look' etc.. Again this was about ten years ago before Gibson frankly started to appeal to China for their money and support. Sad. jim in Maine

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and I hope not to be too rude to ask for help with my first post.

A friend of mine is currently selling an es-350 t which seems a very rare one-off:

- Scale is 24.75;

- Finish is red (more orange than cherry);

- wood is a figured maple;

- serial number is in standard 8 digit configuration which dated it to January 2000;

- case is tkl made in brown leather and pink inside.

Previous actual owner has added a master volume in Gretsch stile (moving up the switch).

Unfortunately it has no certificates.

I would be very grateful if someone could help to know more about this guitar.

Thanks

p.s. for your info I'll attach a pic of the guitar.

post-46598-040124300 1346073048_thumb.jpg

As a matter of interest your famous American session player Mitch Holder owns a ES350T built in the early 2000s in blonde and fitted with a Charlie Christian p/u. How cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!

It can be viewed on UTube

I can't find this on Youtube. Got a link?

Jim, it sure would be nice to see some photos. [cool] Combining a red finish with a single pickup is old school cool (right out of the golden era of the late 50's / early 60's).

Will do. What was interesting at the time was that I was able to get really friendly with the fellow in the Custom Shop who is no longer there who really CARED about Gibson AND really took his time making the guitar look really nice. When the paint fellows were doing their thing they would send me jpegs asking me 'how does it look' etc.. Again this was about ten years ago before Gibson frankly started to appeal to China for their money and support. Sad. jim in Maine

Still would love to see those photos... :unsure: [smile]

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and I hope not to be too rude to ask for help with my first post.

A friend of mine is currently selling an es-350 t which seems a very rare one-off:

- Scale is 24.75;

- Finish is red (more orange than cherry);

- wood is a figured maple;

- serial number is in standard 8 digit configuration which dated it to January 2000;

- case is tkl made in brown leather and pink inside.

Previous actual owner has added a master volume in Gretsch stile (moving up the switch).

Unfortunately it has no certificates.

I would be very grateful if someone could help to know more about this guitar.

Thanks

p.s. for your info I'll attach a pic of the guitar.

Hi Rudolph, it is absolutely not rude to bring a question like this. That's a very nice looking guitar. What did you want to know about it? (seems like you already know just about everything about it). [smile]

I once had one of these from the '70's. Unlike the originals, it had a 25.5" scale, nut width of 1 & 11/16" and a volute. Typical of the period, the wood was quite plain.

I like thin archtops with long scales, but according to my records I kept it for less than two years, so I guess I didn't like it that much.

20a0e7c5.jpg

db85c184.jpg

Danny W.

Hi Rudolph, it is absolutely not rude to bring a question like this. That's a very nice looking guitar. What did you want to know about it? (seems like you already know just about everything about it). [smile]

Thanks! What I'd like to know is if someone has a similar model dated around 2000 (they were not in production at that time so it should be a custom shop one off) or in the same finish and if you have any idea what could be the value considering the modifications it has gone through.

I'm considering to buy it but, as this is a quite rare model, I have no idea about a fair price.

Don,y know how to do the "fancy link" but you can get in this way

UTube (music)

Mitch Holder

Select the one where it shows him playing a Gibson HR into a Rivera Jazz Suprema. after about a minute you,ll see him playing a ES350T with CC p/u...fantastic

Good luck

George

Archived