Gibson Brands Forums

David Lindley

RowdyMoon

David Lindley is from another planet,he can not only play anything with strings on it but play each one of them way better than most anyone.Unfortunately he too is another musical heavy-weight who is little known outside on musicians circles.

David Lindley is from another planet,he can not only play anything with strings on it but play each one of them way better than most anyone.Unfortunately he too is another musical heavy-weight who is little known outside on musicians circles.

Oh so very true unfortunatly.

I gave him an old Goya electric back in '84. The pickups were mounted on a large rectangular plate that pretty much covered the space between the last fret and the bridge. The guitar was black and he said he had a red pickup assembly for it. I've always wished I'd see that in a concert pic etc.

True.

I had some of his Albums.

I remember the song "Talk to the lawyer, professional liar".

Pretty cool.

I have all his El Rayo-X stuff, which I practically wore out. Now I've got them on CD. He tours solo a lot and last year a friend and I saw him here at The Iridium (where Les Paul played every week until he passed). He had an array of instruments that was quite formidible and played the crap out of all of them. Great show. It was like Storytellers - you'd get the background and then the tune. Pretty funny too.

After his show we went over to where one of his people had set up a table of CDs for sale. There was no line and while I'm talking to the guy about the various discs out of the corner of my eye I see someone muscle into the corner - it was David! We talked to him for 20 minutes or so - very down to earth. I make every effort to see him when he comes around.

It doesn't look like he does much electric anymore. That's really too bad. I miss his slide work in particular.

He did Mercury Blues on the first El Rayo-X album. The CD I got at the show (all acoustic) has a revised version of that tune called Tuna Fish Blues, with some very funny references to the mercury ingested from tuna fish.

Archived