Gibson Brands Forums

Price Check SJ

Joe M

There's a SJ listed locally and I'm wondering about a good price to pay. 2009 with original case. Description says "like new". Of course, I'd check it out in person before making an offer. What do you all think????

There's a SJ listed locally and I'm wondering about a good price to pay. 2009 with original case. Description says "like new". Of course, I'd check it out in person before making an offer. What do you all think????

60-65% of new.

So, you don't say what they are asking.

It depends a lot on the SJ model. The SJ is essentially a blinged-out J-45 (bound fretboard, block inlays, plus a few other things), and will typically sell for about the same amount used as a comparable J-45 of the same vintage and condition.

So, you don't say what they are asking.

It depends a lot on the SJ model. The SJ is essentially a blinged-out J-45 (bound fretboard, block inlays, plus a few other things), and will typically sell for about the same amount used as a comparable J-45 of the same vintage and condition.

The ad said "$1900, negotiable". It's a standard SJ, no artist model, etc.

The ad said "$1900, negotiable". It's a standard SJ, no artist model, etc.

The only thing you can rationally compare it to is a straight J-45. I've seen 2009 J-45's running in the $1300-$1600 range on ebay and craigslist.

As a reference, a new SJ TV is actually $200 cheaper than a new J-45 TV at Musician's Friend. Go figure.

As a reference, a new SJ TV is actually $200 cheaper than a new J-45 TV at Musician's Friend. Go figure.

Clear evidence that the pricing is set at 'what the market will stand' terms, the J-45 brand is stronger than the southern jumbo brand, so they can hike the line higher than some models that it must be more expensive to produce.

The only thing you can rationally compare it to is a straight J-45. I've seen 2009 J-45's running in the $1300-$1600 range on ebay and craigslist.

Actually, I suspect that might be the difference between a sitka top and an adirondack one.

Actually, I suspect that might be the difference between a sitka top and an adirondack one.

There's not much difference in materials price between sitka and red spruce soundboards. Maybe $100 at the extreme, and for a big consumer like Gibson, I bet about half that amount. It's all about marketing.

I've seen Collings add an upcharge of $1,000 for ADI Spruce.

Go on the websites that market tonewoods, and check out the price differences between red and sitka spruce soundboards. Usually not that much.

And Collings? Well, that $1K upcharge sounds about right for them.....

Thanks for all the input, on second and third thoughts, I'm gonna pass on this one. I've got the SJ covered with a couple of my guitars already. Guess I was mesmerized by the bling..... [unsure]

Archived