Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Rack

duluthdan

Upon request from a few folks: Here are some images of the guitar rack I built, using mostly whatever I had on hand for materials - without scavenging I would imagine the cost to be well under $100. Hope you can get an idea of the measurements, I just kept a guitar case handy and did some outlines with my pencil. This room was the victim of a water leak - and all my instruments were off the floor because of this thing. Watch out for slivers. (Good thing I don't write instruction manuals for a living, eh?)

GuitarRack.jpg

Thanks Dan,

After I get one other project done in wood I will build me one of these. Good pictures and looks like a nice, clean project to complete in a day. [thumbup] Better check my "scrap pile" as I may black armor coat (spray truck bed liner) some plywood. That would look just about like the cases.

Thanks bunches!!!

Aster

Thanks Dan,

After I get one other project done in wood I will build me one of these. Good pictures and looks like a nice, clean project to complete in a day. [thumbup] Better check my "scrap pile" as I may black armor coat (spray truck bed liner) some plywood. That would look just about like the cases.

Thanks bunches!!!

Aster

I wouldn't use anything that might peel off or stick to other things (like my cases) on any surface that could come into contact with your cases. Polyurethane varnish is a finish that dries hard and tack-free, and seems to be pretty inert. It may mean being a little selective in your wood choices, but a sheet of furniture-grade 3/4" hardwood plywood is only about $50 at Home Depot or Lowe's. It would be good for the end pieces, and it's good enough quality to take a clear finish.

Poplar is a pretty good material for all the strakes between the plywood ends, but oak would be even better, as it is stiffer. You can buy this at any lumber store, and it isn't that expensive. I reckon for about $100 in materials, you could do a nice rack of this type that you would be proud to display.

(And yes, Wily, we are still talking about guitars here..... [biggrin] )

So my wife walks into this room where I'm working, looks at the guitar case rack, and says.... (drumroll please) "You could build another layer on top of that rack, right? In case you get more guitars?" Can I hear an "AMEN!"

So my wife walks into this room where I'm working, looks at the guitar case rack, and says.... (drumroll please) "You could build another layer on top of that rack, right? In case you get more guitars?" Can I hear an "AMEN!"

Can you say "there's no such thing as a free lunch"? My wife has being saying the same type of thing to me for the last few months.

Yesterday, it cost me $45,000 for her new car.

Can you say "there's no such thing as a free lunch"? My wife has being saying the same type of thing to me for the last few months.

Yesterday, it cost me $45,000 for her new car.

Oh... I didn't think that far ahead... come to think of it, she has been dreaming about a remodeled house. Oh crud.

Archived