Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar of the week club? I wish! But, I did have another NGD today... ;)

T Bone

With the delivery of last week's MIM Classic 60s Player Stratocaster in Sonic Blue, I had a bit of an epiphany. I discovered how great of a guitar these things are, and how great of a bargain they are as well (I'd rate near Gibson's SG and Les Paul Studio 50s and 60s Tribute guitars as far as value, and I think those are an amazing bang for the buck!).

Anyway, I had liked the looks of the Road Worn 50s Telecaster, and the reviews and sound bytes on YouTube convinced me I just might like one. Well, everyone needs a Telecaster, right? Wanted one for years (have played a few, used to play a buddies '72 quite a lot some years back).

I contacted one of the retailers offering a payment plan (the two biggies have a great coupon right now, except when I called, they wouldn't honor it on either Gibson or Fender [tongue] , so I took it "down the road" to a competitor. These guys offered 8 payments on my existing card, so no interest and I spread it out over the next 7 months. In addition, they offered a discount, not quite large enough. Told them if they'd take $100 off their regular price (same as everyone else's), then I'd buy, otherwise I'd wait for a coupon code that worked at the big box guys.

Done deal, today arrived the factory relic'd Telecaster. Now let me mention, first time I saw a relic (Custom Shop, mid 1990's), I was unimpressed. But here's the thing. The DO look really cool when done right. And more important, they have a great feel, similar to a well worn vintage piece. Fender's Custom Shop does have it down now. Now these here are production guitars, not Custom Shop, and a bit of the relicing (which is nearly identical on the same model) is a little iffy (primarily some of the fingerboard and a bit of the back of the neck). But again, the feel. It is very nice. Sound? Fantastic!

Paul from Guitar World does a really good job of explaining it

. They do feel really good (at least to me). And the sound? This thing sounds like a Tele. But it is a bit hotter (over wound Tex Mex p'ups) than some I've tried, and I really like it a lot so far. I've only played it through my Champion 600 today, but it sounded great, with or without the effects.

I need to get one of my digicams back online, but until then, I need to at least post up a few pics of this thing. Sorry for the lousy phone cam pics.

Oh, since these are so affordable, do I see more Mexican Fenders in my future? You betcha! Next up with probably be a Road Worn 60s Strat (Sunburst, to go with my American '62 Reissue). Probably get that one coming sometime in the next 6 months or so (depends on work).

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0398.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

Better pics coming soon, I promise!

Congratulations! I was just checking your tuner thread and noticed that's a good looking rig, simple and effective. [thumbup]

Thanks, the small pedal board is my "grab and go" rig, that's why I wanted it battery op. Need to do a thread and put up my other two, a Pedaltrain Jr. and a Pedaltrain 2.

another good score there T-Bone !!

usually "relic'ing" looks wayyy overdone to me, but that one looks GREAT!

i agree that this new generation of MexiFenders are some of the best "players guitars" (a.k.a.workhorses) on the market @ their price point.

one of my most heavily used geets is my MexiTele because it plays great and sounds great(after several p'up height adjustments), that sweet/saucy middle 3-way spot is absolute Blues heaven!

i added a pearl pg, Bigsby w/roller bridge, & Fender locking tuners.....also gave the neck about 15 minutes of "love" w/a pad of ultra fine 0000 grade steelwool (after covering the p'ups/magnets).

mojo? oh yeah!

GarysCam192.jpg

another good score there T-Bone !!

usually "relic'ing" looks wayyy overdone to me, but that one looks GREAT!

i agree that this new generation of MexiFenders are some of the best "players guitars" (a.k.a.workhorses) on the market @ their price point.

one of my most heavily used geets is my MexiTele because it plays great and sounds great(after several p'up height adjustments), that sweet/saucy middle 3-way spot is absolute Blues heaven!

i added a pearl pg, Bigsby w/roller bridge, & Fender locking tuners.....also gave the neck about 15 minutes of "love" w/a pad of ultra fine 0000 grade steelwool (after covering the p'ups/magnets).

mojo? oh yeah!

Sweet, I love the Bigsby, been thinking about one for this Tele. Also thinking about a black guard, probably won't though, as I'll eventually get a 52 Reissue I think too.

Archived