Gibson Brands Forums

Define Music

ShredAstaire

Firstmeasure...

Yup on intents vs. results - just like a football pass is intended for one thing that may not be concluded as envisioned. Hence aesthetics.

Also, wind chimes may be crafted by humans, but unless a human is "playing" them, it's arguably not "music."

m

That's why I say tuned wind chimes might be music because the human who invented them intended for them to make chords in the wind, which would be a very artistic approach to music.

But then, even atonal wind chimes could be used to make music if a human were hitting it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why I say tuned wind chimes might be music because the human who invented them intended for them to make chords in the wind, which would be a very artistic approach to music.

But then, even atonal wind chimes could be used to make music if a human were hitting it.

Does the original intention behind the creation of a piece automatically mean any noise(s) which it may produce will always be 'Music'?

If anyone - or group of people - hit, at random, the keys of a piano keyboard with no rational thought, intent or pattern, should the resulting cacophony be considered 'Music'?

I'd say 'No'.

But if those very same notes/intervals were written down beforehand and performed with the necessary amount of aptitude I'd say 'Yes'.

Odd, huh?

:-k

P.

Pippy...

I'd say the difference in intent and product is not odd at all.

When I was in college, for example, I wrote an atonal 12-tone piano piece that actually was performed for a large (for a small school) music class. I personally don't think it sounded any worse than Webern's piano stuff... a theme, inversions, retrogrades, retrograde inversions... <grin>

Both still sounded to me like a cupla cats fighting on a keyboard. The piece was played by an excellent classical musician who was an artist in residence, btw.

Don't ask what happened to it 'cuz I haven't seen the sheet music in approaching 50 years... Ain't messed with writing for piano since, either.

m

Does the original intention behind the creation of a piece automatically mean any noise(s) which it may produce will always be 'Music'?

If anyone - or group of people - hit, at random, the keys of a piano keyboard with no rational thought, intent or pattern, should the resulting cacophony be considered 'Music'?

I'd say 'No'.

But if those very same notes/intervals were written down beforehand and performed with the necessary amount of aptitude I'd say 'Yes'.

Odd, huh?

:-k

P.

So even though it's art with sound, it's not necessarily music.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived