Gibson Brands Forums

J180 Everly Brothers

fretplay

Has anyone had any experience of the J180 Everly Brothers model. They have this very large pick guard which I would have thought impeded the sound but the Everly Brothers liked them and others too, is there something I'm missing here?

I can't say personally, but there are plenty of fans of these models out there, from the hobbyist to the super-famous... ther's also the same pickguard/vibration hindrance arguments levelled at the hummingbird and even the J/SJ-200's.

My guess is there's no definitive answer short of trying the same model with and without guards (no possible before a purchase) so the onld adage of 'if your ears like it, you like it' applies I'm afraid.

I own a '90 Montana reissue J-180. It's a bit beat after all these years, but it's one of my favorite acoustics. The maple back and sides give it a nice tone, and the neck is perfect for me. Yeah, it's got an acre and a half of pickguards on it, but I don't see that it affects the sound negatively. It's a cool Everly type guitar.

Here's a fun video showing someone else enjoying their J-180. Don't try this at home

They have this very large pick guard which I would have thought impeded the sound but the Everly Brothers liked them and others too, is there something I'm missing here?

Maybe just that they only used these guitars (J-180s and earlier J-200s) with huge stiff pickguards on stage. The pickguards were designed to reduce damage from vigorous theatrical strumming (and possibly to reduce feeedback, I suppose). They used other guitars when recording. In particular, it was Don's '53 Southern Jumbo that was responsible for the Bros signature guitar sound, not the J-200s or J-180s.

-- Bob R

Maybe just that they only used these guitars (J-180s and earlier J-200s) with huge stiff pickguards on stage. The pickguards were designed to reduce damage from vigorous theatrical strumming (and possibly to reduce feeedback, I suppose). They used other guitars when recording. In particular, it was Don's '53 Southern Jumbo that was responsible for the Bros signature guitar sound, not the J-200s or J-180s.

-- Bob R

In other words, buy buy an Aaron Lewis instead!

Archived