Gibson Brands Forums

What's the best Epi Electric under $200?

20_Gauge

Just started messin' w/ my new EJ & I'm hooked. I'm already lookin' forward to gettin' an Epi Electric though it pro'bly won't be for a couple months. I just wanna know have an idea of what I'm lookin' at pricewise.

So, I wanna get some advice from experinced guitar players. What's the best(quality/value) Electric(preferably an Epi) for a beginner that's under $200?

I like the Les Pauls & definitely want either a black or vintage sunburst finish.

Thanks!

I'd say an Epi LP Special II. If you like Ebony, check out the Special II GT.

Thanks for the suggestions, Steve. [thumbup]

I've already had my eye on both of those. Pretty sharp lookin' guitars. The LP Special II is the leader in the clubhouse, I always go back do lookin' at that one.

*This isn't really an answer to you question, my apologies* I would look into saving a little more and going for a G-400.

Nah not really interested in forkin' out $400 for my 1st Electric, maybe later.

Specials are terrible IMO. I've said this before in these forums, but they REALLY shouldn't be carrying the Les Paul name. They don't feel like Les Pauls, they don't sound like Les Pauls, they don't play like Les Pauls - and most of all, they don't even LOOK like Les Pauls. They are FLAT TOPS for god's sake. If you just want an electric guitar for under 200 USD, then they will do the job. But don't expect a Les Paul when you buy a special. They aren't Les Pauls - they're Juniors. The general consensus in these forums is that they are good value for money, since you only pay a pittance for them, but for a newbie, you should really play both a special and a LP before you buy - that way you will feel the difference.

If you want a Les Paul, then fork another 50-100 bucks and buy a LP-100 or a Studio.

Hell, you should just go for the lp jr. No switches to get in your way. 1 pickup, 2 knobs, and actually a whole lot more versatility than you would think. But then again, find something that feels good in your hands and sounds good, i would just reccomend the jr as a jumping off point

Specials are terrible IMO. I've said this before in these forums, but they REALLY shouldn't be carrying the Les Paul name. They don't feel like Les Pauls, they don't sound like Les Pauls, they don't play like Les Pauls - and most of all, they don't even LOOK like Les Pauls. They are FLAT TOPS for god's sake. If you just want an electric guitar for under 200 USD, then they will do the job. But don't expect a Les Paul when you buy a special. They aren't Les Pauls - they're Juniors. The general consensus in these forums is that they are good value for money, since you only pay a pittance for them, but for a newbie, you should really play both a special and a LP before you buy - that way you will feel the difference.

If you want a Les Paul, then fork another 50-100 bucks and buy a LP-100 or a Studio.

Thanks for the info & advice, Aethyr. [thumbup]

Really cont wanna spend close to $300*but if it's a must to get a better value, I would consider it) on an Electric, this is gonna be a hobby not a career. I mainly am lookin' for a good deal(won't break my bank) on a good playin' Epi Electric that I can start with.

Hell, you should just go for the lp jr. No switches to get in your way. 1 pickup, 2 knobs, and actually a whole lot more versatility than you would think. But then again, find something that feels good in your hands and sounds good, i would just reccomend the jr as a jumping off point

Thanks for the input, Lazerface. [thumbup]

Yeah, that's all I'm lookin' for is a starting point. I definitely am leaning to the jr(this one:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-lp-junior-special-electric-guitar). Simple & not too many knobs to deal with, less complicated.

Might go ahead & jump on it('cause of the grat price) once I get my EJ back. Whattaya think about that one?

What ever you get, you will be able to mod out the pickups if they are not to your liking.

One thing to be aware of, even a great guitar will sound bad through a cheap amp.

Get a starter guitar, but spend a little more on a good amp.

It will make a world of difference on the sound.

What ever you get, you will be able to mod out the pickups if they are not to your liking.

One thing to be aware of, even a great guitar will sound bad through a cheap amp.

Get a starter guitar, but spend a little more on a good amp.

It will make a world of difference on the sound.

Thanks for the advice, mg. [thumbup]

In tha case, I'm gonna go with the $129 LP Junior Special & splurge on the amp. Amp suggestions?

What's the best(quality/value) Electric(preferably an Epi) for a beginner that's under $200?

A used one with a set (glued in) neck.

An SG G400 or a LP Studio perhaps?

The best guitar you can get for under $200 isn't and Epi or any other brand.

Find yourself a body on ebay (something like a Telecaster is a great place to start as it's simple)

Same place for a neck

Add scratchplate (possibly from the same place)

Get a set of pickups from GFS or wherever

Buy bridge, machines, pots

Screw it all together and add wiring

Not only will you learn, you'll have a guitar that YOU built and as you improve/get more funds will grow with you.

This isn't a parable - I put together a 52 Blackguard tele (with a pair of custom wound Bare Knuckle pickups) for a grand total of under £250 all in which is a match for anything commercially available sub £1000 (not my biased opinion but those of a number of session players who have played her).

If you can assemble a flatpack bookshelf, wire a plug and solder two wires together you can assemble a guitar.*

* For all the luthiers out there please note that I am talking about assembling a simple slab bodied guitar from parts which has about as much in common with what you do as does changing a spark plug does with hand beating a classic car body from scratch so please don't shout at me!!

A used one with a set (glued in) neck.

An SG G400 or a LP Studio perhaps?

Those are great lookin' guitars, Alan.

Little outta my price range & really don't want too many knobs(wouldn't really know what to do with'em) but those guitars are definitely on my wishlist but not for my first.

I have an Epiphone G-400 I bought used for $180 several years ago and it plays like a dream. I used the G-400 and a GFS Xaviere Tele as my gigging guitars for the rock band I was in and played through a 50 watt Valve King tube amp and I could easily cover all the tones I needed. By the way, the G-400 stayed in tune extremely well and I stretched my strings mercilessly!!!

One piece of the puzzle which is missing is:

What type of music do you want to play?

It's a bit like asking what's the best bike under $200 and everybody says that xyz is just what you want so you go out and buy it. trouble is it's a drop bar road bike - fantastic value for the money BUT you want to go trail riding and it's basically useless.

You say you like Les Pauls but you then say that an SG has too many knobs (they have the same number generally)?

Do you know the difference in sound between Humbuckers, Single Coils and P90's (different single coils)?

I would seriously suggest finding a local guitar tutor, having a chat with them and get some ideas from them (they may even know of 2nd hand guitars which are for sale in your price range)

Start scouring used music stores and pawn shops. Generally when price is an issue keep an open mind and play everything in your price range. When you find the one, you'll know because you wont want to leave the store without it.

One piece of the puzzle which is missing is:

What type of music do you want to play?

It's a bit like asking what's the best bike under $200 and everybody says that xyz is just what you want so you go out and buy it. trouble is it's a drop bar road bike - fantastic value for the money BUT you want to go trail riding and it's basically useless.

You say you like Les Pauls but you then say that an SG has too many knobs (they have the same number generally)?

Do you know the difference in sound between Humbuckers, Single Coils and P90's (different single coils)?

I would seriously suggest finding a local guitar tutor, having a chat with them and get some ideas from them (they may even know of 2nd hand guitars which are for sale in your price range)

Yeah I guess knowin' this info would help, wiggy. [thumbup]

1st question: Country, Southern Rock

2nd guestion: The LP Junior I'm leanin' to get has 2 knobs. The SG has as 2 knobs & a switch & the LP Studio(that was suggested earlier) has 4 knobs. Don't what to start with anything too complicated(control-wise) & send my head spinnin'. [confused]

Start scouring used music stores and pawn shops. Generally when price is an issue keep an open mind and play everything in your price range. When you find the one, you'll know because you wont want to leave the store without it.

Great advice, Lazerface. Thanks! [thumbup]

I have an Epiphone G-400 I bought used for $180 several years ago and it plays like a dream. I used the G-400 and a GFS Xaviere Tele as my gigging guitars for the rock band I was in and played through a 50 watt Valve King tube amp and I could easily cover all the tones I needed. By the way, the G-400 stayed in tune extremely well and I stretched my strings mercilessly!!!

Thanks for the input, anfontan. [thumbup]

Yeah I guess knowin' this info would help, wiggy. [thumbup]

1st question: Country, Southern Rock

2nd guestion: The LP Junior I'm leanin' to get has 2 knobs. The SG has as 2 knobs & a switch & the LP Studio(that was suggested earlier) has 4 knobs. Don't what to start with anything too complicated(control-wise) & send my head spinnin'. [confused]

Knobs are just variable resistors for volume or tone. On a LP or SG, there's a separate volume and tone control for each pickup. You then just use the three way-toggle switch to select your dialled in pickup on either the bridge position, neck position or (in the middle position) both pickups blended together. Now, being resistors, if they're all turned up to 10 it's like there not there anyway so you can learn without being distracted by finding different tones. However, you'll have those knobs there when you are ready to start using them.

Knobs are just variable resistors for volume or tone. On a LP or SG, there's a separate volume and tone control for each pickup. You then just use the three way-toggle switch to select your dialled in pickup on either the bridge position, neck position or (in the middle position) both pickups blended together. Now, being resistors, if they're all turned up to 10 it's like there not there anyway so you can learn without being distracted by finding different tones. However, you'll have those knobs there when you are ready to start using them.

Great info, Alan. Thanks for the knowledge!

Archived