Gibson Brands Forums

Which is the better A/E for the $$?

20_Gauge

I'm already planning to get an A/E but not for a couple months(prob'ly Nov at least). I want an all black version & I've found 2 that I really like, a Fender(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CD140SCEv2BK/) & an Epi(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EE2SEBNH/). I'd normally just go with the Epi but I don't like the shell colored pickguard on the black body(if I got this, it would be the first thing I'd change), it sticks out & doesn't fit with the look in my opinion. If it wasn't for the odd(to me) color guard, this wouldn't even be a decision.. Does anybody have this guitar, is there really a shell colored guard(I fiind this hard to believe) on the black?

I'm considering the Fender($25 cheaper) 'cause I've always associated the Brand with quality Electric stuff & the all black look of this guitar.

Now I don't know anything about the Electric side of an A/E, that's why I'm starting this thread, So, what's the better A/E?

Between the two, I dont really know. I do know that I dont like the way Fender acoustics play, so I'd probably opt for the AJ. Though, I've always been partial to thinline guitars, so my personal choice would be a PR5-E. No pickguard on them either!

Between the two, I dont really know. I do know that I dont like the way Fender acoustics play, so I'd probably opt for the AJ. Though, I've always been partial to thinline guitars, so my personal choice would be a PR5-E. No pickguard on them either!

Thanks for the input, RTH. [thumbup]

I've looked many times @ the PR5, there's just somethin' about the look of it that I don't like(might be that sharp point on the cutaway). I might be putting to much emphasis on looks but what can I say, that's me.

You gotta buy what you like. Aesthetics are part of that decision. I like the flourentine cutaway, so that is part of what I find attractive about that guitar. That, and I own a PR4-E which is a very solid and well playing guitar for the price. I can only imagine that the PR5-E is even better. Forum member Milod owns a PR5-E and always raves about it.

Aside from all of that, the AJ guitars always get good reviews. I was never too keen on the shape of the advanced jumbo body, but it has really started to grow on me over the past year while looking at many pics of them while working on the wiki. As far as electronics, it looks to be a toss up between Fishman and Shadow. Both top names in A/E electronics. Tough call on that one. Maybe someone with experience with both brands will have some input in this thread.

You gotta buy what you like. Aesthetics are part of that decision. I like the flourentine cutaway, so that is part of what I find attractive about that guitar. That, and I own a PR4-E which is a very solid and well playing guitar for the price. I can only imagine that the PR5-E is even better. Forum member Milod owns a PR5-E and always raves about it.

Aside from all of that, the AJ guitars always get good reviews. I was never too keen on the shape of the advanced jumbo body, but it has really started to grow on me over the past year while looking at many pics of them while working on the wiki. As far as electronics, it looks to be a toss up between Fishman and Shadow. Both top names in A/E electronics. Tough call on that one. Maybe someone with experience with both brands will have some input in this thread.

Yeah, the electronics are really what I want some info on. Good to know that they are both top brand electronics.

I love my AJ200SCE and my PR5-e, but if those don't do it for you how about an Ibanez AEF18 in black. I have two of these one in Dark Violin and the other in Trans Black. Both are great guitars IMHO. Maybe give them a look.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-aef18e-acoustic-electric-guitar-with-onboard-tuner

Thanks for the reply, RIX.

Yeah I have looked @ Ibanez A/Es but if I'm gonna spend $300 anyway, I'll likely go with the Epi AJ-220SCE.

In that price range, i would say check out some seagulls. If you can get over the tiny, obnoxious looking headstock, they are great players and have good sound. I almost pulled the trigger on a used 12 string for $300, but noticed the bridge was pulling off of the body

In that price range, i would say check out some seagulls. If you can get over the tiny, obnoxious looking headstock, they are great players and have good sound. I almost pulled the trigger on a used 12 string for $300, but noticed the bridge was pulling off of the body

Thanks for.the reply, Lazerface.

Never heard of that brand of guitars but I'll check'em out.

I would go for the Epi AJ-220SCE. I use an old Epi AJ-18SCE and it sounds great unplugged and plugged in. I like the AJ shape and the tone it gives.

Thanks for sharing your experience, OGP.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go with the AJ-220SCE 'cause the more & more I play my EJ, The more I'm lovin' the mighty Jumbo sound. Maybe the shell pickguard will look better in person.

Thanks for sharing your experience, OGP.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go with the AJ-220SCE 'cause the more & more I play my EJ, The more I'm lovin' the mighty Jumbo sound. Maybe the shell pickguard will look better in person.

I like the look of the sunburst AJ-220 series. I have tried out both the AJ-220 and DR-220 in natural when they first came out and they both played and sounded quite nice.

I like the look of the sunburst AJ-220 series. I have tried out both the AJ-220 and DR-220 in natural when they first came out and they both played and sounded quite nice.

Yeah the VS does look good but I've always wanted a black guitar.

Will prob'ly get a VS at some point though.

Yeah the VS does look good but I've always wanted a black guitar.

Will prob'ly get a VS at some point though.

Oh yes you wanted the black finished one. Well if you don't like how the pick-guard looks you could always remove it and put one on of your choice. Sometimes they come off quite easily especially if it's still new.

Oh yes you wanted the black finished one. Well if you don't like how the pick-guard looks you could always remove it and put one on of your choice. Sometimes they come off quite easily especially if it's still new.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do OGP, I've already found a black Epi replacement guard for this AJ.

Not a thinline although it does have built in electronics, but I recently got a chance to play one of those Fender Tim Armstrong Hell Cat guitars - a modern interpretation of a 1960s Fender-badged Harmony. Gotta tell ya that little sucker played and sounded nice. A real bargain considering the price tag.

Well...

I wouldn't touch the Fender at the same style and price range as an Epi. Occasionally you'll get a funky Epi mail order, but it's more likely IMHO, that one that's "right" when you open the box will be the better buy. Any Fender acoustic or AE I've touched seems somehow "cigar boxy."

I've a plain top AJ220sce. Sent the first one back with a funky neck I couldn't figure how to correct. The one I have does quite well for what it is. Actually on the plain top, I like the fake turtleshell pick guard. The electronics seem fine, although everybody seems to have their own opinions on what's "good sound." To me it seems quite good enough for a basic output to be messed with a bit on an amp or board.

I also have a PR5e in sunburst. For what it's worth, I added one of the "stick on" pick guards labeled by Taylor as I recall - and that's with me only fingerpickin' it!

The 220 seems best-used flatpicking, but since I'm mostly a fingerpicker, I take it mostly to places I'll be flatpickin' in a group doing strictly acoustic old-time or cowboy-country stuff - and nobody'd hear fingerpicking or the fingerpicking wouldn't fit the "thing." It wears 10s and I don't beat on it like some would with 13s.

The PR5E is mostly fingerpicked with very, very light strings (9-42). I think it would be a major error to use it to play bluegrass/old time. Ain't got the belly for it. But it's marvelous for anything from fingerpicked jazz (it's shaped and sized very much like an ES175) to blues or whatever. I think it'd do fine for Django-type stuff too.

The 220 isn't quite the same actual shape as the AJ500 series Masterbilts. I've got one of those too, and I'd say that it sounds significantly richer than the 220 strictly acoustic as well as electric - but the price tag is double, too. One should adjust technique to any guitar's sound/electric output anyway, though.

Funny thing, the super-cheapie PR4e - $200 with an inexpensive AE amp, tight gig bag, tuner and instrument cord - is to me an absolutely perfect example of what I think is best for a modern parlor guitar. It doesn't sound that bad electrified at a real gig. It's best with light strings and a light fingerpicking style, but likely would do fine with somebody flatpicking if they didn't try to make it sound and act like an AJ45 or D28. I give mine to a young friend, and the PR5e takes up the slack for most of that sorta work with a better sound but also bigger and heavier haul-around case.

BTW, any black guitar ain't gonna look that cool when it's worn a bit. I'm sure you can mess with or have somebody mess with the pick guard, but for $300 base you're gonna spend $100 for a replacement 'guard for looks 'stedda a hard case or whatever? Under stage lights, audiences don't really see specifics on a pick guard anyway.

m

Well...

I wouldn't touch the Fender at the same style and price range as an Epi. Occasionally you'll get a funky Epi mail order, but it's more likely IMHO, that one that's "right" when you open the box will be the better buy. Any Fender acoustic or AE I've touched seems somehow "cigar boxy."

I've a plain top AJ220sce. Sent the first one back with a funky neck I couldn't figure how to correct. The one I have does quite well for what it is. Actually on the plain top, I like the fake turtleshell pick guard. The electronics seem fine, although everybody seems to have their own opinions on what's "good sound." To me it seems quite good enough for a basic output to be messed with a bit on an amp or board.

I also have a PR5e in sunburst. For what it's worth, I added one of the "stick on" pick guards labeled by Taylor as I recall - and that's with me only fingerpickin' it!

The 220 seems best-used flatpicking, but since I'm mostly a fingerpicker, I take it mostly to places I'll be flatpickin' in a group doing strictly acoustic old-time or cowboy-country stuff - and nobody'd hear fingerpicking or the fingerpicking wouldn't fit the "thing." It wears 10s and I don't beat on it like some would with 13s.

The PR5E is mostly fingerpicked with very, very light strings (9-42). I think it would be a major error to use it to play bluegrass/old time. Ain't got the belly for it. But it's marvelous for anything from fingerpicked jazz (it's shaped and sized very much like an ES175) to blues or whatever. I think it'd do fine for Django-type stuff too.

The 220 isn't quite the same actual shape as the AJ500 series Masterbilts. I've got one of those too, and I'd say that it sounds significantly richer than the 220 strictly acoustic as well as electric - but the price tag is double, too. One should adjust technique to any guitar's sound/electric output anyway, though.

Funny thing, the super-cheapie PR4e - $200 with an inexpensive AE amp, tight gig bag, tuner and instrument cord - is to me an absolutely perfect example of what I think is best for a modern parlor guitar. It doesn't sound that bad electrified at a real gig. It's best with light strings and a light fingerpicking style, but likely would do fine with somebody flatpicking if they didn't try to make it sound and act like an AJ45 or D28. I give mine to a young friend, and the PR5e takes up the slack for most of that sorta work with a better sound but also bigger and heavier haul-around case.

BTW, any black guitar ain't gonna look that cool when it's worn a bit. I'm sure you can mess with or have somebody mess with the pick guard, but for $300 base you're gonna spend $100 for a replacement 'guard for looks 'stedda a hard case or whatever? Under stage lights, audiences don't really see specifics on a pick guard anyway.

m

Thanks for the detailed reply, mild.

Great info.

Hey y'all, I've been talking over the past couple weeks to a friend about A/Es & he convinced me that I'd be better off waiting(& saving $$) & getting a higher grade A/E than just getting one now 'cause I want it.

I'm now targeting the Takamine EG260C (Black). I've noticed quite a few big name Country(my favorite genre) Artist using Tak A/Es & the all Black one looks extremely hot. Prob'ly won't be gettin' it 'til at least November.

Hey y'all, I've been talking over the past couple weeks to a friend about A/Es & he convinced me that I'd be better off waiting(& saving $$) & getting a higher grade A/E than just getting one now 'cause I want it.

I'm now targeting the Takamine EG260C (Black). I've noticed quite a few big name Country(my favorite genre) Artist using Tak A/Es & the all Black one looks extremely hot. Prob'ly won't be gettin' it 'til at least November.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

But figure regardless that you need a hard case for anything from the $299 up, for sure.

I ain't been that impressed with some Tak AE electronics but again, that's a matter of taste.

If you insist on black, I guess that leaves out a Masterbilt Epi. I'm not that convinced that the Masterbilts are all that pretty, but neither's my face. Darn it. But both work pretty well for what I need.

m

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

But figure regardless that you need a hard case for anything from the $299 up, for sure.

I ain't been that impressed with some Tak AE electronics but again, that's a matter of taste.

If you insist on black, I guess that leaves out a Masterbilt Epi. I'm not that convinced that the Masterbilts are all that pretty, but neither's my face. Darn it. But both work pretty well for what I need.

m

Yeah I really want a black guitar, milod. I've always been a fan of'em, I just think they look sharp. Willing to give a Tak a try as I look to build my guitar collection.

I'm not convinced 'bout the beauty of the Masterbilts either, they just look old(vintage).

I've a black bass - but 'cuz it was what I could get at a brand, style and price. <grin> Kinda like black cars, they look great new, not so great unless the finish is really kept up or you want 'em to look "used."

As for the Masterbilts looking vintage... yeah. But me too. <chortle> Either "vintage" or maybe even antique. Darn it.

m

I've a black bass - but 'cuz it was what I could get at a brand, style and price. <grin> Kinda like black cars, they look great new, not so great unless the finish is really kept up or you want 'em to look "used."

As for the Masterbilts looking vintage... yeah. But me too. <chortle> Either "vintage" or maybe even antique. Darn it.

m

I gotta black Ford truck, so I totally understand how much work it takes to keep it lookin' good. Oh well, it's worth it.

lol

Archived