Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul standard tribute 2010 humbuckers

pylorca

Hi,

I recently purchased a epi les paul tribute 2010 (gibson classic57 and c57 plus), there is something wrong with humbuckers,

the neck pickup has a lot of gain/volume (and it has a lot of lowend)

and the bridge pickup has a low gain/volume (and much more treble, and has a poor low end, but low volume/gain)

Pickups height is fine about 4 mm from strings.

There is much difference in volume between the two pickups, and one sounds too thin (bridge) and the other too fat (neck)

Is it possible that they are installed incorrectly? neck on bridge and bridge on neck

Thanks

Diego.

Open the back control panel. Check the plug-in connectors on the pickups. They can corrode on the contact points. You just need to unplug them then plug them back in as they are self cleaning. For more in-depth investigations you will need a electrical meter to check the wires and connectors.

If I was in your situation I would desolder the whole lot, clean all the pots, switch and jack socket whith switch cleaner spray, and check them out with a multi meter. I would then rewire it all with with new wires. And if the problem still persists then take it to a professional guitar technician.

thanks guys,

I will check the connections.

Cheers!

The same thing happened to me. Weak output on the neck pickup. I solved the problem by replacing the the neck volume control.

As it turns out though, the bad pot was ok after I cleaned it with D-5 Deoxit.

Maybe a good cleaning with a high quality electrical contact cleaner is all you need.

Peace

The "Tribute Plus" has 2 push-pull tone pots that switch series & parallel wiring. Series and parallel do have volume differences. It might be a good idea to trace down that wiring to be sure it's done right. You will need a service diagram of the "Tribute". If the guitar was bought online maybe exchange the guitar?

Archived