Gibson Brands Forums

Electric Guitars

JuanCarlosVejar

For my two cents, that would be the ES 335. Blues of all types, ditto rock, OK for country, and even passable for jazz (please forgive me). If you can anly have one, that might be the answer.

Yep - that would pass all the tests! msp_thumbup.gif

And still part of the Gibson mob....

BluesKing777.

That Gibson12 String electric scares me a bit, Nick!

I am not sure why?

What kind of thing do you play on it?

BluesKing777.

Bought it to play McGuinn. Still trying to figure out how, since he was/is a banjo player at heart, and his style is a bit funky, often using metal fingerpicks. It's definitely not the guitar for everyone. It is LOUD, and makes you sit up and pay attention.

well maybe something that is an allrounder ???JC
A Swiss Army Knife for country? In that case, Tele gets my vote. Boogie bass, treble cut, steel emulations. Flip the front pickup and you have JaS chords. Since you play a J200, you should be good with a tighter string. While Im a friend of the 335, it's just doesnt have the twang and high end cut of a Fender. Ditto Pauls. Just make sure your amp goes to 11 heheh.

Juan..

A well chosen (Custom Shop) Telecaster with maple neck is the country guitar.

If you get a Gretsch make sure it has pickups on it made by TV Jones..the ones I tried when wife got me the Gretsch around 2004 are M A G I C.

I ended up with the 120th Anniversary model, it came with those pickups and was a short scale guitar. Everyone of them back then(2003-4)had great tone. Others were non resonant things so you gotta try some.

Most of what they call Country these days is little more than bad 1970s southern rock with a fiddle or pedal steel thrown in so it really don't matter what you play. Ya want to play the real deal though, you can't go wrong following Clarence White's example - a Tele with a B bender. I played a 1958 Tele for decades and can easily say though there ain't nuttin' you can't play on a Tele.

They have the Mustang amps at the shop I am going to , but no floor pedals.

BluesKing777.

Hijacking another thread, sorry, but I bought the Line 6 Pod HD...

Well, I have been playing (and playing some more and then playing a lot more) through the Pod HD amp modeller and my best and closest modelling sound to my real amp sound that I was aiming for is the 1939 Gibson EH185. I read a few tips to make the sound a bit more real and it is really more than I hoped for now - practice electric guitar with a sound like my real amp but at any time of the night I like without disturbing everybody. I am playing my ES125 through this filthy sounding - just past breakup distortion that Jimmy Reed or Elmore would have recognised. I want to be able to hear the bass and treble separately for my blues fingerpicking - I would hazard a guess that most people playing through an amp modeller would be shredder types, but you never know with those cagey blues pickers! Next I will try it through a PA to see if it is a good as in the headphones - it sounded good in my amp, but that is a bit ironic...

I can see that the amps will be left at home and the Pod will be in my bag with strings, slide and leads, and I will just plug in a PA...............how lazy would that be??

I was looking on eBay and saw the old Gibson amp for sale here - the coolest looking piece!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2571eb488e

BluesKing777.

I typed an update above and it went to the next page for some reason, so I will 'bump' it.

I use to have a van for music gear as well as my coupe, but that went to junkyard a few years back. If I don't need to take the amp to certain gigs, I can probably take the boss and even the dog in the coupe....they may let me park in the proper car park - the old van they preferred me to leave around the corner....

BluesKing777.

well maybe something that is an allrounder ???

JC

All rounder..ooo..sounds like a Stratocaster with a maple neck & an original Telecaster bridge pickup in it.

That said..Chet Atkins made due with Gretsch & Gibsons..mmmm.

If I had to pick only one electric guitar I love the Gibson Les Paul 59' Reissues .Since Henry began the Historic Series they have been good.

Here's a video with a country stable of players and Eric Johnson..just in case this has not been seen. That Eric Johnson I just love em. Chet Atkins just stands back to admire that phrasing.

Archived