Gibson Brands Forums

Electric Guitars

JuanCarlosVejar

A Paul would be best suited for Western Swing (jazz comping) or "new" country (Eagles lite). But if the Bakersfield sound (Don 'n Buck 'n Merle 'n Roy. Dwight 'n Pete) is your thing, then Fender. It's all about treble bite and twangy bass.

Nice group of guitars above!

(Original post question just a bit too hard - there are a real lot of Telecasters in Country Rock, but pure country, wow? Anything you can get your hands on!

With the Gretsches, PM - are these suitable for fingerpicking like Chet, or blues? I have a Telecaster that is going rusty/gathering spiders and dust - useless for fingerpicking.

While we are on the subject of electric guitars, do any of the multi-style guitarists on this forum use any of the Line 6 POD stuff. Will probably get no replies on an acoustic forum, and I don't really want to ask at the shredders forum because I doubt any of those people do much fingerpicking, but thought I would ask here - because after some consideration, I have decided a Pod thingy with headphones might be the go for a practice on my new bought electric Gibson ES125 at midnight to 3 am or whenever I feel like it, instead of the Mesa Boogie tube amp! Would be good to practice some tricky riffs with a good sound without the whole neighbourhood hearing me make mistakes.

BluesKing777.

P.S. Gibson Forum was off for a few hours here - I was expecting everything to be wiped....

Yeah, the Grtsches can be picked, BK. Lovely guitars, I'm a real fan of them. The tele's less so, picking on them takes you into 'chicken pickin' territory with the pop & zing from them, alhough I must confess I quite like it, a rather amusing art form.....

The Gretsches are lovely though, it's the closest electric guitars come to an acoustic playing experience in my opinion.

Some great options for Country in all it's manifestations...

Teles and Strats can be finger-picked if desired and sound excellent with their clear treble bias

Gretsch's look and sound just right (with matching rhinestones :blink: )

Rickenbackers too...they mostly come in S/C and H/B versions

Deusenbergs are gaining favour via Joe Walsh

Possibly the nearest Les Paul or SG would be a P90 loaded one...

Anything can be finger-picked with attention to stance...slightly on the high side when standing...

V

:-({|=

Ah, someone said Telecaster..... I'm a bit of a fan of these.

DSC00582.jpg

teles.jpg

Love the telecasters too ... I saw a lefty elliot easton used to own from 1958 !!! but the price is $38,000 or something like that.

I really like this Fender-GRetsch Tele :

Gretschtele.jpg

Gretsch-o-caster_00.jpg

Gretschteleo.jpg

Gretschtelew.jpg

JC

No, JC, they're all Terada Japanese models. The 6120 is the DSW model, with the country/fancy inlays... a little bit cheesy and blingy, but Gretsch does it so well.... The 6120 is a really nice guitar, I'm extremely fond of it. As my wee acoustic combo blossoms I'll probably use that guitar on some songs.

Here's the blurb from Gretsch themselves. http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2401257822

I can't add much to what PM said here. Teles and Gretsches are far and away the most popular electrics for country. I think Pete Anderson played a Strat from time to time, but the Tele/Esquire sound is the classic country twang. That semi-hollow Gretsch/Tele is super country-looking too -- I see lotsa country guys play those thinline Teles. They (the thinline guitars, not the country guys) tend to be a couple of pounds lighter than the solid ones -- which can push 10 lbs! -- and they might be a bit better for fingerstyle than the solids.

Those are some beauties in your collection, PM [woot] -- is that a baja in the top picture, or a 52 reissue? I have to admit my tele has been a bit neglected since I got my J45 last year, but it's tons of fun to pick around on from time to time. Such a simple little instrument, but so many great sounds!

There was a baja in there, yes, but there's also a 52 reissue... the beat-up yellow one with the white guard was actually one of the road worn series that passed through my hands briefly. It was actually really nice to play, but the neck relicing looked a bit much like butchery to me so it never hung around long, I got a sweet deal on it to begin with so it sold for the same money afterwards. Nifty!

The 62's are custom shop stuff. Brazilian rosewood....

@Nick.... Very tasty ;)

While we are on the subject of electric guitars, do any of the multi-style guitarists on this forum use any of the Line 6 POD stuff. Will probably get no replies on an acoustic forum, and I don't really want to ask at the shredders forum because I doubt any of those people do much fingerpicking, but thought I would ask here - because after some consideration, I have decided a Pod thingy with headphones might be the go for a practice on my new bought electric Gibson ES125 at midnight to 3 am or whenever I feel like it, instead of the Mesa Boogie tube amp! Would be good to practice some tricky riffs with a good sound without the whole neighbourhood hearing me make mistakes.

He BK,

So are you looking at the POD HD units or considering one of the older (red kidney bean) style pods?

I can't help ya with a POD HD, but I've had one of the original POD units since they first hit the market. I would think either the HD or the classic variant will work ok for you for the application you mention but the HD is cost heavy.

Regarding the older PODS. Amp models are definitely usable, Reverb sounds is pretty good and is a separate control to the on-board effects. In general the effect selections on the older ones are a bit limiting. For example if you want to use, say some reverb+compression+delay (or modulation), you'd have to use one of the combo effects,

Of course, it works, but the ability to fine tune is limited. If you don't mind that limitation (like just want some slap back with reverb) you're ok.

Once you find a model that's got the basics your looking for (assuming on the clean side)once tweaked a bit, would definitely give you some good tones for finger style work with a semi hollow or hollow body.

/KB

I'm a against the grain kinda person, so I play my bluegrass on a Gibson acoustic and country on a Les Paul!

Picture is with a camera phone so the quality sucks and don't hold the guitar justice. It's a Gibson Les Paul 50s tribute in vintage sunburst

ce7f6832.jpg

He BK,

So are you looking at the POD HD units or considering one of the older (red kidney bean) style pods?

I can't help ya with a POD HD, but I've had one of the original POD units since they first hit the market. I would think either the HD or the classic variant will work ok for you for the application you mention but the HD is cost heavy.

Regarding the older PODS. Amp models are definitely usable, Reverb sounds is pretty good and is a separate control to the on-board effects. In general the effect selections on the older ones are a bit limiting. For example if you want to use, say some reverb+compression+delay (or modulation), you'd have to use one of the combo effects,

Of course, it works, but the ability to fine tune is limited. If you don't mind that limitation (like just want some slap back with reverb) you're ok.

Once you find a model that's got the basics your looking for (assuming on the clean side)once tweaked a bit, would definitely give you some good tones for finger style work with a semi hollow or hollow body.

/KB

Thanks for the reply. The HD are a bit exxxy in price, but if they are as good as they claim, well....

I had a Behringer V-amp thingy when they first came out, and even tried a Behringer Tube pre-amp with it to try and get a realistic tube sound, but it wasn't much good. It was a bit of fun experimenting. (They can all go to the pawn shop now that I think of it.)

If I got a Line 6 Pod (Bean or HD), I would probably try to get a sound similar to my Mesa Boogie 22 with a dash of gain and a dash of spring reverb and be happy. Fingerpicking can sound crappy with too much breakup. The Boogie was a revved up Fender Princeton sound.

The Pod would be handy to keep in the gig bag for backup if the real amp has a spasm, or even put to use for the lazy gig or 3rd storey gig when I don't feel like lugging amps around......

May go have a look over the weekend - the music shops are having a few 'end of quarter' sales....

BluesKing777.

My 2 cents to the OP. I play and own all the major brand electric guitars inparticular LPs, Strats / Tele, PRS SC /HBs and more. But if I was going to give advice on a good country sounding electric, especially for a novice or intermediate player. I would recomend a Telecaster. It is the Swiss army knife of electric guitars, very versatile, kind of like the "jack of all trades, but master of none" (disclaimer it can be a master in many genres). Just a good, simply built all around guitar.

My 2 cents to the OP. I play and own all the major brand electric guitars inparticular LPs, Strats / Tele, PRS SC /HBs and more. But if I was going to give advice on a good country sounding electric, especially for a novice or intermediate player. I would recomend a Telecaster. It is the Swiss army knife of electric guitars, very versatile, kind of like the "jack of all trades, but master of none" (disclaimer it can be a master in many genres). Just a good, simply built all around guitar.

+1 on the tele........and you can change parts cheap, if needed

Just want to reiterate: your sound deponds on which part of the 'country' you are talking about. Nashville East? = Merle T and Chet And Texas swing from Wills to Willie. Lotta chord comping, so Gibson (espec. 335s) and Gretsch* works. Nashville West? That's Tele country. From Jimmy Bryant to James Burton to Buck 'n Don to Clarence White. Not to mention Ol' Waylon. Albert Lee. Pete Anderson. New Nashville = Eagles lite, so anything goes.

*(fwiw Ray Benson of AATW is down on Gretsches).

Just want to reiterate: your sound deponds on which part of the 'country' you are talking about. Nashville East? = Merle T and Chet And Texas swing from Wills to Willie. Lotta chord comping, so Gibson (espec. 335s) and Gretsch* works. Nashville West? That's Tele country. From Jimmy Bryant to James Burton to Buck 'n Don to Clarence White. Not to mention Ol' Waylon. Albert Lee. Pete Anderson. New Nashville = Eagles lite, so anything goes.

*(fwiw Ray Benson of AATW is down on Gretsches).

well maybe something that is an allrounder ???

JC

well maybe something that is an allrounder ???

JC

For my two cents, that would be the ES 335. Blues of all types, ditto rock, OK for country, and even passable for jazz (please forgive me). If you can anly have one, that might be the answer.

Archived