Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON/EPIPHONE SG

nesster97

Depends. Honest answer is if it's a bolt-on neck, it's an entry-level model and so-so quality. If it's a set neck SG (G-400) that's a very good price, and a well-made guitar. I have a few G-400's and like them a lot.

Ive got pics of it in the post "My epiphone family" by me. It is a set neck

Uh, yeah. $150 is a great deal for that guitar. You have a Vintage G-400 with a one-piece neck and white binding. Only made for a few years and replaced with the Faded G-400 with a scarf-jointed neck and rosewood binding. Some people actually seek out this particular model. I think there were some other features to this guitar as well. Good deal! And Congrats!

Uh, yeah. $150 is a great deal for that guitar. You have a Vintage G-400 with a one-piece neck and white binding. Only made for a few years and replaced with the Faded G-400 with a scarf-jointed neck and rosewood binding. Some people actually seek out this particular model. I think there were some other features to this guitar as well. Good deal! And Congrats!

[/quote

So how much will this be worth in like 40 years is it a rare piece

I wouldnt call it rare. They are starting to become a little harder to find as time goes on, but they are still out there. And like most Epiphones, in 40 years it should be worth about 1.5X the retail price. Yes, people seek them out, but they arent investment guitars. People just like the one-piece, non-scarf jointed neck and the white binding.

I wouldnt call it rare. They are starting to become a little harder to find as time goes on, but they are still out there. And like most Epiphones, in 40 years it should be worth about 1.5X the retail price. Yes, people seek them out, but they arent investment guitars. People just like the one-piece, non-scarf jointed neck and the white binding.

To be honest i didnt even know it was something "hard" to fnd. I bought it to get some good doors sounds out of it. But ill hold on to it the price could jump

I bought mine for $220 used with hsc, so good deal...i've considered selling it, but every time I play it I change my mind. I just upgraded the pups in mine for a nice improvement.

Good find!

ya man dont sell it i played my buddys gibson sg and i dont find a difference hold on to it man there great guitars!

To be honest i didnt even know it was something "hard" to fnd. I bought it to get some good doors sounds out of it. But ill hold on to it the price could jump

Back to reality: That's rare with an Asian Epi. Only a very few models will do that, like the SG's with maestro vibrolas. Yours isn't much different from the other G-400's, not enough to get anyone excited. With Gibsons it's another story, there's hard core collectors and big money thrown around for oddball models, but they cost MUCH more to begin with. Don't expect Epi's to go up in value, or even retain the original price. Look at what you paid for yours. Good price, but not at all uncommon. I've bought a number of Epi's, most are limited editions, and paid some pretty low prices for them. The market is flooded with cheap imports.

One reason is Epi frets don't hold up as well, and who wants to pay a premium for a used import guitar with worn frets, and then spend a couple hundred dollars on refretting, when you can buy a new one for less? I don't buy old Epi's, or any other import, for that reason alone. As it is, they need upgraded PU's to sound like they should, another investment.

So who's going to pay extra for an old import, refret it, upgrade PU's and maybe hardware...by then you could have had a nice used Gibson, which will hold it's value.

Ok, maybe I overestimated with its worth in 40 years. I went by my EMB and the EM guitars that jumped in value when the reissues came out. You pay more for one used than when they were new. But they are sort of an odd bird in Epiphone's lineup. But on the same hane, they are only 20 years old or less.

There are some big differences between a typical G-400 Faded and the Vintage models. Aside from the one-piece neck (which will make the guitar hold more value) and the the binding, they also have Designed in the USA pickups and no veneer. The Faded models are all veneered. I'm not sure about the cherry G-400 in the regular lineup. They look veneered to me though. A lack of veneer compared to a typical veneered model will help hold value as well.

IMO, the only reason the Vintage models can sell for so little is because people are unaware of the differences. Maybe they will never exceed their retail value, but they should always always always sell for more than a typical G-400...even though they rarely do. Eventually, people will catch on to this.

Aside from the one-piece neck (which will make the guitar hold more value) and the the binding, they also have Designed in the USA pickups...IMO, the only reason the Vintage models can sell for so little is because people are unaware of the differences. Maybe they will never exceed their retail value, but they should always always always sell for more than a typical G-400...even though they rarely do. .

The difference between this G-400 and the hundreds of thousands of other G-400's out there, is insignficant. Cheap Asian PU's are cheap Asian PU's; they're all 'designed' in the USA, that's where humbuckers were invented. They're also the first thing that goes when you want to improve the tone. Try selling a used set of them on eBay and see what you get for them; lunch money at best. Like you said: "Vintage models should always sell for more than a typical G-400...even though they rarely do." That pretty well sums up the collector value part of this thread.

If you want an Epi SG that will increase in value get one of the '65 maestro vibrato models (red Std, black Std, and alpine white Custom). They're already going for more than original retail (after only about 5 years). What makes them so desirable is that if you retro fit a maestro to a regular G-400, you have two big holes where the stop bar was. Plus the aftermarket maestros aren't engraved and look very plain. Factory maestro is the only way to go. Other good candidates would be the two Deluxe flame top SG's in red and amber. All 5 of these models were made in very small quantities, and are truly distinct from other G-400's. These are the ones to look for, but don't expect to get rich off them.

Epi's are made to be played and enjoyed, they're not guitars for glass cases.

That pretty well sums up the collector value part of this thread.

Epi's are made to be played and enjoyed, they're not guitars for glass cases.

That was not my point at all. There is no collector value and I never implied such a thing. Even a $400 Epiphone that may increase in value over 40 years to , say, $600 isnt a collector guitar, or even a good invenstment. My point about the Vintage models is that between the non-veneered body, one-piece neck and the white binding, they are made with slighlty higher quality materials and look a little nicer. To me, that says they should also sell for a little bit more. Pickups schmickups. I put that in there as one of the differences becuause that is how Epiphone pushed the guitar. And whatever they are, they are probably something different than the pickups you get in the regular G-400 lineup. They are most likely not the Classic & Classic Plus pickups like those in the Faded models. I never said they were better. Just different.

There is no collector value and I never implied such a thing. Even a $400 Epiphone that may increase in value over 40 years to , say, $600 isnt a collector guitar, or even a good invenstment. My point about the Vintage models is that between the non-veneered body, one-piece neck and the white binding, they are made with slighlty higher quality materials and look a little nicer. To me, that says they should also sell for a little bit more.

Agreed. The annual rate of increase to go from $400 to $600 over 40 years is nothing to brag about, and that's if you don't play it much and put wear on it. I don't think the Vintage models are necesarily made of 'better' materials, just different construction. However many pieces the neck has, it's probably all the same wood. Nice veneer flame tops add to a guitar's value (like on LP Stds), so veneer in itself isn't necessarily a downside. Tonewise, a one piece neck may be a little better, but you can get far more improvement there by upgrading PU's. To me, neck binding looks out-of-place on SG's except for white finish ones. From my perspective, the binding on 'Vintage' SG's makes them unappealing; to most players there's not enough there to justify paying more for one. But I've seen a lot of players get excited about maestros.

But, (and watch how I get back on topic) the OP got a nice guitar for a good price, and should enjoy playing it for years.

The main reason I bought my used vintage G400 was because of the neck binding. I think any sg or lp without binding looks unfinished. My $0.02.

Have to say I'm with you on that, I think it looks odd and I can't believe that Epiphone saves a lot of dough on not putting it on their guitars.

Have to say I'm with you on that, I think it looks odd and I can't believe that Epiphone saves a lot of dough on not putting it on their guitars.

Depends on the model. Binding looks great on LP's and 335's, but I don't like it on most SG's. But whether you like it or not, it's probably not a deal breaker either way.

Ditto.

By The way... Are YOU happy with the $150 guitar? If so, then YES, It was a good deal, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. [thumbup]

Archived