Gibson Brands Forums

Standby/Power Switch

Teer

G'day all!

I've rented a little 15w Traynor YGL1 amplifier. It is a tube amp but there's no standby switch, just power on. You still have to wait for the tubes to warm up before you hear anything. Does this not shorten tube life? Am I missing something? A new design for tube amps? I noticed the same thing on the Fender Blues Jr.

What gives?

btw, I'm very, very impressed by that YGL1, it's a tonemonster!!! Anybody own one? Have tried one?

Cheers!

... Does this not shorten tube life? ...

Yes, it does - but not tremendously. Often, low watt Class A or single-ended tube amps are built without them. No biggie. Give it a minute to warm up and then let it rip. [thumbup]

I'm also renting a YGL-1 (L&M?). I've had it for a couple months, and it sounds great for a $600-$700 vintage-style tube amp. There are only a couple complaints I have; the boost is completely useless. Only a dog could hear the difference. The "pure" mode is barely useable; just makes you louder and muddier, with way too much mids. And it's heavy as hell, but that's what you get in a solidly built Canadian amp.

Overall great amp.

Archived