Gibson Brands Forums

Got to play some Gibsons

flatbaroque

We aren't over supplied with good guitar shops in Sydney.But there is a stretch along Parramatta Rd with three pretty good ones close together.Went yesterday.I hadn't been for a while so it was pleasing to find a few new and used Gibsons.

Got to play Hummingbird Classic- new, HBTV-new, Reissue J-45-new(the black one with the white pick guard), Advanced Jumbo -used, J-100 xtra-used, J-200 Studio - new...

Not a dud amongst them, they were all a pleasure to play.

The one that stood out - and this surprised me - was the J-100 xtra..loved it.It had Bubinga back and sides.I'm not as eloquent in talking tones as others here but it had elements of both a J-45 and a Hummingbird.Played beautifully, was loud.Good picked and strummed.

I also usually prefer Mahogany to rosewood but the Advanced Jumbo was very cool too - especially for Blues picking.

I got an unexpected end of financial year bonus at work..I should used it to fix my water damaged kitchen ceiling which is imminent danger of falling in......but i could always shelter under a J-100 [unsure]

I've also got a rational list of areas that any excess cash should be funneled to...home repair, tooth repair, doggy care, car repair, and yet I just struck a deal with a Tennessee horse trader for his '56 LG2. Seems he was in a pawn shop and spotted a Banner J45, paying dearly for it, but on the way out spotted a '53 J45 with the teardrop guard in near pristine condition. OK everyone ...sit down. The hang tag said $139.99. He barely made it out of the store without fainting, so I caught him in a good mood when I haggled the LG2. Now I'll have to do the Sophie's choice thing, but not before doing a nice long trial period.

I'm thinking of moving to Tennessee.

Maybe I have just gotten a whole lot more cynical in my old age but $140.00? I'm thinking somebody may be pulling your chain a bit The pawn shop knew what a banner J-45 was worth but did not have a clue as to the market value of a pre-1954-J45? Sounds more like the story you sometimes hear when somebody wants to explain why they are parting with this or that cherished guitar.

Archived