Gibson Brands Forums

What Do You Think "Ruined" or "Negatively Impacted" Rock?

kaleb

Paul...

Yeah, although for small saloons, I've done duo stuff in the early '70s with an old Univox drum machine. <grin>

I tend to agree with the multi-track, multi-take overdubbed stuff although that's an art unto itself.

As for the east coast stuff... My late "Mom" - stepmom technically for 50 years - was from Brooklyn and worked her behind off in her late teens and early 20s to get the bleep out, and Dakota Territory was as far as she could afford. Loved it here. When my Dad died they asked if she planned to move back and she figured they were nuts even for asking.

Me, I finished high school in a New England boarding school while Dad was in grad school in Cambridge, Mass. Felt horridly claustrophobic the whole time, not to mention a worse culture shock than a dirt-floored saloon in Paraguay or 3rd rate tabang in rural Korea before the Olympics... <grin>

Yes, I wear boots and a hat to work, even though it's a town job.

m

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some truly excellent posts on a very serious subject...

This stuff belongs in 'history of art' at the library

A personal fascination is with art when placed in a historical context

Taking account of wars, economics, politics, sponsorship etc etc

IMO the internet turned the world upside down c. 15 years ago

So there is a case for a new calendar...

BI and AI.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Ziggy...

I've lived and worked while traveling in cities but... never felt that comfortable there largely due to just plain claustrophobia. Not serious, but just enough that when I can't drive a mile or two and see nothing but sky and grass, it's not a happy feeling.

I was brought up in a town of a bit over 1,200 until 14 and helping family summers with haying... and moving around more or less ever since then.

Cities have a lot of nice folks that I've met in the US, Europe, South America and Asia. I assume ditto in Oz and Africa too. It's just too many buildings and concentration of population, rules and other such impersonal stuff.

I s'pose that since I can sail a bit, somewhere on the ocean wouldn't be that bad, but I also like winters to kill the bugs and keep away folks who can't handle being "nowhere" and on their own.

Funny thing, though, is that my little office wall "signs" at work are in Latin (and a bit of Greek) and old Italian. They were caught onto by only one guy regardless where I lived - and the guy is a cowboy almost as old as I am, not by some city folk regardless of advanced degrees.

m

Archived