Gibson Brands Forums

New Cab Day!

Twiz

Avatar G412 Traditional cab! 8 Ohms. It's pretty sweet. 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12's in there. I got a pretty good deal on it too at a local used music shop. -There are a couple nicks in the fabric covering the front, but it's really clean. I don't think the previous owner played it much. I'm pretty stoked to move some air with it tomorrow night at a gig. Today I played my V through it, tomorrow my Telecaster. I am considering ordering another 4X12 from them direct so I can have a full stack if I decide I want to be more deaf. Haha. [scared] :unsure: [crying]

1748.jpg

It's a closed back.

I had a question for you, I'm thinking about getting another cab from these guys down the road. I think maybe a 2X12 would be pretty cool (to give me a 3/4 stack, or I could use the 2X12 for smaller gigs). If I get another 8 ohm cab, that will work ok? From my understanding if I want to run 2 8 ohm cabs, I will need to switch my amp to 4 ohms to power both. This has always been something that confused me.

well congrats,,, have fun moving air AND the cab!! DOH!!!

and yes, 2 8ohm cabs will switch to a 4ohm load

Lol, thanks. I like this cab better than what I was playing though (an old Acoustic 204 from the 1970's). -That thing has just 1 flimsy handle on the side, and weighs 100 pounds. For some dumb reason my bands always seem to play shows that are up 2 flights of stairs. [thumbdn] This new cab has some nice handles, so it's a little better.

It's a closed back.

I had a question for you, I'm thinking about getting another cab from these guys down the road. I think maybe a 2X12 would be pretty cool (to give me a 3/4 stack, or I could use the 2X12 for smaller gigs). If I get another 8 ohm cab, that will work ok? From my understanding if I want to run 2 8 ohm cabs, I will need to switch my amp to 4 ohms to power both. This has always been something that confused me.

No. You should be able to run both at 8. Of course it depends on how the speaker outs on your 5150 are set up. Does it have two 8 ohm outs? Or two outs with switchable impedance?

No. You should be able to run both at 8. Of course it depends on how the speaker outs on your 5150 are set up. Does it have two 8 ohm outs? Or two outs with switchable impedance?

There are 2 outputs, and there is 1 switch to change the Ohms. That's where I was confused too. Would I run a wire from the head to each cab, or would I run 1 wire to one cab, and then daisy chain them (run another speaker cab from the first cab to the 2nd)?

Thanks for the info.

There are 2 outputs, and there is 1 switch to change the Ohms. That's where I was confused too. Would I run a wire from the head to each cab, or would I run 1 wire to one cab, and then daisy chain them (run another speaker cab from the first cab to the 2nd)?

Thanks for the info.

BTW, I think the 3/4 stack is a great idea. Lots of flexibility that way! [thumbup]

So I just checked the manual for the 5150 head - I was wrong...

IMPEDANCE SELECTOR SWITCH.. Use to select the appropriate impedance of the speaker enclosure(s). If two enclosures of equal impedance are used, the switch should be set at one half of that value (e.g. two 16 ohm enclosures: set switch to 8 ohms; two 8 ohm enclosures: set switch to 4 ohms).

Lol, thanks. I like this cab better than what I was playing though (an old Acoustic 204 from the 1970's). -That thing has just 1 flimsy handle on the side, and weighs 100 pounds. For some dumb reason my bands always seem to play shows that are up 2 flights of stairs. [thumbdn] This new cab has some nice handles, so it's a little better.

Twiz, I had one of those acoustic cabs, I hear you! It was a beast. Also had the G150 head, no tone what so ever, and the amp would just oscillate once it was on for a bit and make the most ungodly sounds. It was constantly in the shop. POS! That amp sucked the life out of me until I finally unloaded it. Good riddance!

About the ohms and running external cabs, 4 ohms you're good. so for example, My Marshall JTM 60-2x12 combo is wired for 16ohms, and I run a matching 2x12 close back cab also @16ohms. That config together runs @ 8ohms. (see the marshally looking thing behind me in my avatar? that's it..)

Where you want to be cautious is if you had 2 4ohm cabs, that would drop the head to a 2ohm load which would run things a bit too hot for the amps liking.

Just as an aside, when you're dabbling with used gear, I would say to be on the safe side, always pop the backs opened to make sure the speakers and wiring is set to factory specs or at least what you're assuming. I recall picking up an ampeg rig and sought out 2 cabs (soon after parting ways with the acoustic) one that had been modified to 4ohms, why, I've no idea, had it not been for one of my bandmates insisting we check it out, I could have fried the head. The other cab I had was an 8ohm cab.

I think there's gotta be some web sites that explain all this. Google will be your friend.

Rock on!

Frickin' awesome. That cabinet glows. I've been wanting to pick up a 2x12 and their 18 watt head for home use.

Enjoy your new vibrations.

Also, with your 204, you could always install recessed handles on the side. I have a 105 cabinet that weighs around 100 pounds and I unloaded it and board out spots for handles. Since then it's become no problem to load in and out every couple of days.

photo-1.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. [thumbup]

BTW, I think the 3/4 stack is a great idea. Lots of flexibility that way! [thumbup]

So I just checked the manual for the 5150 head - I was wrong...

IMPEDANCE SELECTOR SWITCH.. Use to select the appropriate impedance of the speaker enclosure(s). If two enclosures of equal impedance are used, the switch should be set at one half of that value (e.g. two 16 ohm enclosures: set switch to 8 ohms; two 8 ohm enclosures: set switch to 4 ohms).

Thanks for checking that. I should have just read my manual. Doh! #-o It's going to be a while before I get that 2X12, but I'm pretty hyped for the flexibility playing out.

...Just as an aside, when you're dabbling with used gear, I would say to be on the safe side, always pop the backs opened to make sure the speakers and wiring is set to factory specs or at least what you're assuming. I recall picking up an ampeg rig and sought out 2 cabs (soon after parting ways with the acoustic) one that had been modified to 4ohms, why, I've no idea, had it not been for one of my bandmates insisting we check it out, I could have fried the head. The other cab I had was an 8ohm cab.

I think there's gotta be some web sites that explain all this. Google will be your friend.

Rock on!

Yea, I brought my multimeter with me to the store (the clerk gave me a weird look) so that I could check the ohms before I hooked my head up. It's 8. The speakers haven't been changed out or anything either. I'm always cautious buying used stuff because I know how people like to 'mod' their stuff without knowing what they're doing.

Frickin' awesome. That cabinet glows. I've been wanting to pick up a 2x12 and their 18 watt head for home use.

Enjoy your new vibrations.

Also, with your 204, you could always install recessed handles on the side. I have a 105 cabinet that weighs around 100 pounds and I unloaded it and board out spots for handles. Since then it's become no problem to load in and out every couple of days.

I love the sound I get out of my old 204. It's just too awkward for me to move around. I thought about installing handles like that, but I'm weird, I don't like to change anything with vintage gear. I'm selling that to a friend of mine that loves Acoustic stuff, so it's going to a good home. Cool looking dog in your pic by the way. I imagine him saying: "You're going to make the loud thing make the house shake again?" Haha.

I love the sound I get out of my old 204. It's just too awkward for me to move around. I thought about installing handles like that, but I'm weird, I don't like to change anything with vintage gear. I'm selling that to a friend of mine that loves Acoustic stuff, so it's going to a good home. Cool looking dog in your pic by the way. I imagine him saying: "You're going to make the loud thing make the house shake again?" Haha.

I feel you on not wanting to modify vintage gear. I contemplated the same thing until I figured that I would possibly be the last owner of this equipment and with the extensive use it's getting it needed to be done. Your buddy will love that cabinet. I had a 204 briefly. It didn't have the stock speakers so I passed it along because I couldn't justify spending more money for one replacement speaker than I did the cabinet.

That little guy is always sneaking into photos. I could be taking a picture of something on our kitchen table and he'll nudge his little nose in just to be apart of the action. When he hears the flick of the on/off toggle switch he usually runs for the hills... I love the guy though.

Archived